• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marbrisa-Fixed week vs HGVC points?

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
I have seen quite a few units at Marbrisa for sale but I am confused by how this works. Some of the units seem to have lower maintenance fees per point than others but they all mention being able to use the fixed week or convert to HGVC points. I've searched the forums but it's difficult to find info about this. It seems some units were sold before HGVC took over so those units are still fixed and can't have the points converted but some can be converted? Does this sound accurate? How can I tell the difference? Obviously the sellers will just want to sell their properties so their information can't be trusted necessarily.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The older phase 1 were sold by GPP, some of those may have been enrolled in HGVC. When the new Cove Pool was built HGVC came in to manage and sell enrolled units, phase 2. Maybe the maint fee differs by phase, possibly some people are paying AVCO the GPP financial company.

I imagine some people add in club dues, some dont, may be the mf discrepancy. If its a broker selling, they could be using out of date mf and typically dont include club fees to make it more attractive.

I wouldn’t own there, mf are high, easy to trade in during Sep-Oct, nice weather and not as many kids. If you want summer fixed week to use every year then own it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
We own a fixed week that we enrolled in HGVC immediately after we purchased it 2 years ago. If we want to keep the fixed week, we can, or we can convert the week to points by cancelling our fixed week online through the HGVC website. It is very simple to do. We always cancel our fixed week and take the points to use at Marbrisa and many other Hilton timeshare places as well. Our unit is one of the older units in phase I. We pay MFs and the Hilton Club dues. Marbrisa does have higher MFs than some Hilton TS. The management at Marbrisa has been working really hard to add to the property and improve all aspects of that TS. It seems that people have noticed and there has been a steady decrease in availability since we purchased.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Many will add in the Club dues. We use to own at MarBrisa but decided to sale. MarBrisa has ROFR so min you will pay for Gold week/5000k is $1500+. We love the resort and will most likely convert our affiliate weeks to HGVC so we can stay there. It’s a beautiful resort and we love the LEGOLAND entry.

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
You are wrong about the resale. Just bought a Gold week last year, 2 bed lock off for $100 on eBay. There are always deals. I have not been successful splitting the unit on the website. Will try again next year.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
You are wrong about the resale. Just bought a Gold week last year, 2 bed lock off for $100 on eBay. There are always deals. I have not been successful splitting the unit on the website. Will try again next year.

What do you mean by splitting the unit? Are you talking about RCI? Just curious.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You won’t be able to split, HGVC is a points overlay the system has no function to split a unit.

Those lock-offs were just a few units at the cove, the first ones built, none of the other buildings have that type. Incidently, those units don’t have built in laundry, its in a separate room at the end of the building. Later building included washer/dryers. I’ve stayed in a lock-off there.

Just because you paid $100 doesn’t mean that was the price sent to HGVC for rofr, the eBay sellers typically add the amount of fees the seller paid them to dispose of the unit.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, many of the brokers know the min amount to get passed ROFR.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
Actually I just got back from MarBrisa. Building 58 first floor 2-bed lockoff. Mine had laundry in the main suite.

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
They do, but it’s through Grand Pacific, not HGVC. GP usually doesn’t exercise their right because they get paid close to $1000 for each transfer they do.

When we were looking at buying at Marbrisa, we were told there was no Hilton ROFR. The Marbrisa was managed by Hilton but you still had to pay GP for transfer fees, giving you access to their “exchange site”.

We had already been waived through the “ROFR” process and were about to pay transfer fees when we decided back out and buy at another property.

They must’ve forgot to mention that GP had ROFR, and it wasn’t in any of the paperwork.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
MarBrisa is one of the few that does because of GP/HGVC relationship. There are older units that are still affiliated w/ GO and can not be added to the HGVC System. That is why you have to ask is it a GP or HGVC unit.

We went there at least 4x this year and stayed in Bldg 51-60. We truly love the location.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
MarBrisa is one of the few that does because of GP/HGVC relationship. There are older units that are still affiliated w/ GO and can not be added to the HGVC System. That is why you have to ask is it a GP or HGVC unit.

We went there at least 4x this year and stayed in Bldg 51-60. We truly love the location.

Hmmmm . . . I thought all of MarBrisa was now eligible for HGVC and that the other two (Palisades and Seapointe) we’re not eligible for HGVC. I could be wrong, of course, but that’s what I was led to believe,

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
There are supposedly some older contracts that were originally GP and aren’t eligible. I made sure to ask what type of contract so I wouldn’t have that issue.
Yes, SeaPointe and Palisades aren’t available.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
I think GP and Seapointe are affiliates? We own at both Marbrisa and GPP. We bought Marbrisa as they were breaking ground. We had already owned a fixed week at GPP. We enrolled our GPP week so we can either use our fixed week at GPP or convert it to points. BTW-our total cost for our 2 bed ocean view at GPP is $1417. (Assessment, capital reserves, & property taxes.). It is worth 8400 points (2 bed, high summer, ocean view), which is about $0.169/pt. Is this a high point cost? What are average point costs?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think GP and Seapointe are affiliates? We own at both Marbrisa and GPP. We bought Marbrisa as they were breaking ground. We had already owned a fixed week at GPP. We enrolled our GPP week so we can either use our fixed week at GPP or convert it to points. BTW-our total cost for our 2 bed ocean view at GPP is $1417. (Assessment, capital reserves, & property taxes.). It is worth 8400 points (2 bed, high summer, ocean view), which is about $0.169/pt. Is this a high point cost? What are average point costs?

I’d say that is low/average point cost, not bad. The lowest are around .10/pt and the highest can go over .25/pt.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I looked in to this when we stayed at Seapointe in August. Grand Pacific (GP) is the developer. Seapoint is one of GP's developed resorts. GP owns 17 TS Resorts total and in the Carlsbad area this included Seapoint and Grand Pacific Pallisades which are affiliates of HGVC; and Marbrisa which is a Joint Venture with HGVC. There is also another GP resort in downtown Carlsbad that is not associated with HGVC. According to some of the posts above this relationship with Marbrisa may have changed, but as of last August at least it was a Joint Venture with GP and HGVC. As seems to be typical with HGVC the waters are further muddied in the Marbrisa resort with differing ownerships or relationships in certain buildings or with certain time share owners, and I have no knowledge of these murky details. Most of the other Grand Pacific Resorts are in the California area and have no association with HGVC. They were featured in a running video promotion on a TV in the Seapoint lobby and seemed to be older, low rise wood or stucco structures. So in summary, GP developed 17 resorts; 3 of these have some sort of relationship with HGVC; 14 of them have no relationship with HGVC.