• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Manor Club Proxy

peterp

Reaction score
I just received my Manor Club Proxy.

One of the items on it this year is a preliminary vote on the possibility of merging both the Manor Club Condo association and the Manor Club Timeshare association.

The Exhibit seems to suggest that this would yield savings for owners by reducing expenses. As a multiple week owner of Manor Club obviously I would love any way to make up for the significant increase in MF this yer.

I was just wondering if any of you fellow tuggers agree that this is the way to go.

I am not familiar on how these associates work with one another so any input you can provide before I vote would be appreciated.

One other concern about the document is that it contains the minutes of the previous meeting. Apparantly it started at 1PM and ended at 2:14. By the time they complete the introductions and approval of the previous meetings minutes, they probabaly only had about 45 minutes of true discussion. I have never been to one of these meetings but it would seem that to run a resort of this caliber shouldnt they need more time? How could they finish so quickly? Also there did not appear to have any "Old business" to discuss. Amazing considering all of the dialog tuggers have had about the quality of the resort lately.

Just wondering if this was business as usual with all timeshare assocation meetings...

Thanks for hearing me out....
Peter P

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I am voting against this motion as the MMC and MSE trading function is excellent as you can trade from one the other -- using a studio in MSE to get a 2 bdrm in MMC. That would probably fly out the window with II if there was only 'one' resort code.

They don't have two annual meetings now ... only one for both resorts at the same time. I can't see what expenses they would save, other than director's lunches, and both MSE and MMC have the same MF based on season. The amounts saved would be peanuts IMO compared to the $11 million they collect for annual MF. They should be called to task over an 18% increase ... so they don't assume they are doing a good job with surprise assessments like that. If they were to email owners a 'vote of confidence' they'd really hear what owners want and probably get booted out real quick.

A lot of these HOA TS meetings are a joke. A handful of owners turn up and I've found the MMC board not very open to questions from the floor, almost too set in their ways - -they need new directors as they simply don't communicate with owners until they've made stupid decisions. This happened at BeachPlace over the years and the place was falling apart until a huge fuss was made about it on TUG ... plus terrible reviews even on TripAdvisor. I would hate to see that happen to Manor Club, but the makings are there with a non-communicative GM and HOA.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought the condo association and the timeshare association were not that they are one for each resort, instead one handles the ground maintenance while the other maintains operations of the buildings. I didn't think one was for MSE and one for MMC.

Steve

Reaction score
Dioxide is correct. One association is in charge of the interiors of the buildings at both MMC and MSE, and the other is in charge of the exteriors and the grounds at both MMC and MSE. There is no separation between the original section and the sequel.

I think it's a bit silly to have two separate associations. I got my proxy today, and I'm going to vote in favor of the study to consider consolidating them into one.

Steve

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent both of mine back yesterday (own 1 at MMC, 1 at MSE) and I voted in favor. I don't think it will have anything to do with the trading value or back into the resort.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent both of mine back yesterday (own 1 at MMC, 1 at MSE) and I voted in favor. I don't think it will have anything to do with the trading value or back into the resort.

we are on our last summer vaca now and will vote when we get home in a couple of days...

Potchok. i disagree. anything that has to deal with the upkeep of the interior or grounds or any resort aspect for that matter affects traing power. if the upkeep goes to hell, i would not thing anyone would want to visit manor, thus ii trading power decreases.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you explain your post?

I'm not connecting the relationship between merging the associations and degradation of the resort.

we are on our last summer vaca now and will vote when we get home in a couple of days...

Potchok. i disagree. anything that has to deal with the upkeep of the interior or grounds or any resort aspect for that matter affects traing power. if the upkeep goes to hell, i would not thing anyone would want to visit manor, thus ii trading power decreases.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
i am saying anything dealing w/ upkeep can potentially affect trading power. Like merging the two association is one example ...i am not saying merging will be positive or negative for the long term upkeep but it may. i am saying the upkeep of a resort likely does affect its trading power long term as noone wants to spend a week at a dump.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Cowen pushed the 18% MF increase through for 2008

Snail mail finally got Manor Club proxies to me and it shows how the HOA pushed through the 18% MF increase with the statement:

"Mr. Cowen announced (to the 15 owners present) that the 2008 Maintenance Fee would increase from $713 per unit week to $845 per unit week."

Short and not-so-sweet IMO. The deed was done and for 2008 all owners paid the result without any full explanation of what was going to be done or the justification for what is probably the largest MF increase of any Marriott. If the 15 owners approved it, what about the 9,000+ other owners who had to wait until they got the bill?

Old Boy's Club -- If you don't agree with an 18% increase without explanation, note that Cowen is running for re-election, again. He's been on the HOA for 10 years - is that good or does it just show owners don't care who is on the board? Ruth Schriefer is running for re-election and has also been on the board for several years. If there are problems at Manor Club, these two people have been there from the good times then to the bad times now.

I wonder if they deserve our vote in view of the increase and lack of communications with owners for what the board has done (or not done). Time for new blood I would think...and that leaves us with Meeker and Brown who might bring fresh air to the board. I like Brown's not-so-subtle comment that 'a pair of new eyes is needed on every board.'

My suspicion is that the old boy's club will get in again and 2009's MF could be up again big time ... but we won't know until billing time.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I mailed in mine this morning, and didn't vote to bring back the same folks.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder what percentage of owners actually mail their proxies...and wonder why they don't get into current proxyvoting over the internet?

The concern I have with all HOA's is that they react to very few owners and seem to have no interest in using the Marriott facilities (email addresses) so send communicative bulletins to tell owners what a great job they are doing. They like to hide, apparently...there was a time board members gave their email addresses and invited owners to let them know how they are doing.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder what percentage of owners actually mail their proxies...and wonder why they don't get into current proxyvoting over the internet?

I don't understand why the HOA's don't use internet voting also. It may help get more people involved. I think they should also incorporate dial in conference numbers for their annual meetings so owners can call in. Perhaps a "listen mode" until the end for a Q&A segment. I think they don't want to have to answer the questions they are asked. They need to operate more like a board of directors of a large corporation.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
we seriously need some tuggers on the hoa board. then we can feel safe we true die hard vacationers have a real voice in our home resort!

leskiw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out with the old...

Snail mail finally got Manor Club proxies to me and it shows how the HOA pushed through the 18% MF increase with the statement:

"Mr. Cowen announced (to the 15 owners present) that the 2008 Maintenance Fee would increase from $713 per unit week to $845 per unit week."

Short and not-so-sweet IMO. The deed was done and for 2008 all owners paid the result without any full explanation of what was going to be done or the justification for what is probably the largest MF increase of any Marriott. If the 15 owners approved it, what about the 9,000+ other owners who had to wait until they got the bill?

Old Boy's Club -- If you don't agree with an 18% increase without explanation, note that Cowen is running for re-election, again. He's been on the HOA for 10 years - is that good or does it just show owners don't care who is on the board? Ruth Schriefer is running for re-election and has also been on the board for several years. If there are problems at Manor Club, these two people have been there from the good times then to the bad times now.

I wonder if they deserve our vote in view of the increase and lack of communications with owners for what the board has done (or not done). Time for new blood I would think...and that leaves us with Meeker and Brown who might bring fresh air to the board. I like Brown's not-so-subtle comment that 'a pair of new eyes is needed on every board.'

My suspicion is that the old boy's club will get in again and 2009's MF could be up again big time ... but we won't know until billing time.

Thanks for the information I voted for new people on the board too based on your information, maybe they will be more communicative and respectful of the fact they do have to answer to us!

Dave

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meeker and Brown it is...

and I wrote a note on my proxy to provide owners w/ BOD's email addresses to facilitate and encourage communication.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score