• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Manhattan Club Confiscates Crock Pot!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
...And here you go...ask and you shall receive .

field range

immersion heater

turns out that you can buy more than timeshares on ebay

we were up at 3 am to prepare breakfast to be served at 6. Good SOS takes time. Part of our prep work was lighting 4 immersion heaters. (prewash, wash, second wash, and rinse). I enjoyed showing a new cook how to light one. There was always a someone walking around with no hair on his arm, and sometimes no eyebrows. And the explosion would wake the troop a little early for breakfast.

I'm not the only one who thought this I see.

From the immersion heater ad

I hear you can heat a swimming pool with these hot water heaters.

In my eleven years I only had one cook not follow my instructions to turn the fuel tanks at night so the drip valve faces up. That short cut woke everyone that morning and of course he was looking into the burner when it blew. He had an oval on his face with no facial hair. for quite a while.

I do not recommend that either of these devices be used in anyones timeshare!

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a followup...

I reviewed the information book they provide in the room, and it says nothing in there about crock pots or cooking devices not being allowed. I also looked over the confirmation emails, RCI pages, Manhattan Club web site, etc. Nothing.

I also found the current NYC Fire Code online. It's 640 pages, so I haven't read it, but searching on key phrases I can't find anything about hotels, crock pots, etc. It talks some about portable cooking devices, but Section 902.1 defines that as commercial equipment provided or installed with wheels. Section 2404.15 talks about heating & cooking equipment, but doesn't prohibit it.

As I reported in a previous post, I bought a glass cooking dish to do microwave versions of the two crock pot meals we were planning on cooking/eating in the room. We did the first one last night (lasagna) and it turned out really good. We'll be doing the other microwave meal tonight, and I suspect it'll turn out good as well.

We check out tomorrow morning. I'm going to go ask for my crock pot back this evening, so we can pack it up. We usually do most of our packing the evening before. If they give me grief about it, I'll go up to the business center, print the 640 page Fire Code, and ask them to show me the page where it's prohibited.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a followup...

I reviewed the information book they provide in the room, and it says nothing in there about crock pots or cooking devices not being allowed. I also looked over the confirmation emails, RCI pages, Manhattan Club web site, etc. Nothing.

I also found the current NYC Fire Code online. It's 640 pages, so I haven't read it, but searching on key phrases I can't find anything about hotels, crock pots, etc. It talks some about portable cooking devices, but Section 902.1 defines that as commercial equipment provided or installed with wheels. Section 2404.15 talks about heating & cooking equipment, but doesn't prohibit it.

As I reported in a previous post, I bought a glass cooking dish to do microwave versions of the two crock pot meals we were planning on cooking/eating in the room. We did the first one last night (lasagna) and it turned out really good. We'll be doing the other microwave meal tonight, and I suspect it'll turn out good as well.

We check out tomorrow morning. I'm going to go ask for my crock pot back this evening, so we can pack it up. We usually do most of our packing the evening before. If they give me grief about it, I'll go up to the business center, print the 640 page Fire Code, and ask them to show me the page where it's prohibited.

All's well that ends well.

Lesson learned; If I go Ill be packing my corningware

By the way, how did you pack your whole family in this place? and who got the sofa beds? I understand that they arent very comfortable.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, how did you pack your whole family in this place? and who got the sofa beds? I understand that they arent very comfortable.
Two units (1BR + Studio). Only a few here are connecting, and we were lucky enough to get a pair.

I'm not sure how the sofa beds are, but the beds aren't very comfortable either. I like/need a firm bed, but these are too firm even for me.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two units (1BR + Studio). Only a few here are connecting, and we were lucky enough to get a pair.

I'm not sure how the sofa beds are, but the beds aren't very comfortable either. I like/need a firm bed, but these are too firm even for me.

So ill be waiting for Wyndhams be property to open up

Thanks Mike for sharing your experience

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was checking out the Dis boards, and someone wanted to bring a small freezer to use in her motel room near disney!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP... I hope you enjoyed your stay in the Big Apple. There is no place like "Home."

Have a safe trip home.........

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the MC. I thought the bed was fine, but the sofa bed was terrible. The mattress was not thick enough--I could feel the metal supports thru the mattress. Probably fine for kids but not for adults. I was very disappointed since MC charges so much for its rooms. We were there on an exchange before RCI changed to TPUs.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a followup...

I also found the current NYC Fire Code online. It's 640 pages, so I haven't read it, but searching on key phrases I can't find anything about hotels, crock pots, etc.

Thanks for getting back . Sounds like security made a mistake or there is some obscure rule that they enforce but is not on the books.

As far as reading 640 pages sounds like sitting through a T/S presentation at a Westgate. :wall:

brother coony

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the MC. I thought the bed was fine, but the sofa bed was terrible. The mattress was not thick enough--I could feel the metal supports thru the mattress. Probably fine for kids but not for adults. I was very disappointed since MC charges so much for its rooms. We were there on an exchange before RCI changed to TPUs.

the pullouts now are very comfortable, as there is no more metal springs, they all come with memory foam mattress, as for the OP, google crock pot dangers, and you will see that people turn them on and leave, and they do cause fires, TMC and Park Central Hotel and the bank towards Broadway is all one building, just think if you leave that crock pot on and it short out,and cause a fire,the amount of damage, and lives it could have caused, "just saying"

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Bummer... That is definitely a drag. I think, NYC has some unique laws. I was looking to rent a home in Manhattan and found out it was illegal in most cases as rental homes exceed occupancy rules and hotel laws. You do see some rentals on VRBO but rent at your own risk. I can understand the crockpot one; however, I think the fire safety is a bit over stretch because lots of things can short like TVs, Computers, cell phones charging, electric tooth brush, iron, curling iron, etc... People leave a ton of things plugged in all day at home.

TheWay.ISeeIt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's really against the NYC fire code. I'm guessing it's just Manhattan Club policy or something to do with their insurance. It's always easier to say it's not in their control than admit it's their own rule.

My wife and I stayed at the Residence Inn Times Square 2 years ago and they actually supplied a crock pot in the room.

I'd make sure RCI hears about your experience.

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
well I hope a crock pot don't burn my house down! I use mine all the time, I'm a lazy cook. Last night I put a pork roast in it and let it cook all night on low. I do this several times a month and have never had a problem. fingers crossed for the future!

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed our stay at the Manhattan Club but we were very surprised to find that, not only is there no stove, but there was not even a toaster. There was a small coffee pot and a microwave. This was in the 1BR. There is a breakfast buffet in the lounge but it was pretty expensive. We ate a lot of cereal.

It was not a big problem for us because we planned to eat out dinner and we were never around during the day for lunch, but it was still a disappointing kitchen.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed our stay at the Manhattan Club but we were very surprised to find that, not only is there no stove, but there was not even a toaster. There was a small coffee pot and a microwave. This was in the 1BR. There is a breakfast buffet in the lounge but it was pretty expensive. We ate a lot of cereal. .....

I liked almost everything about my 1bdr/2ba stay at MC except the HK fee ($25 per day then) and their idea of a kitchenette in the TS world.

I LOVED my stay in a hotel room at the Hilton Club with NOTHING so much better. No mini-refrigerator, no sofa, no microwave, 1 bath, no HK fee ....

But I would go back to each of them if I could. NYC is a great city!

PS. But use SFX next time for MC.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
We went to Walmart and bought a George Foreman grill. Used it in the bathroom with the fan running.

I don't know why but this struck me as hilarious. :hysterical::hysterical::clap:

I've been known to go to great lengths to save on food, but I haven't cooked in the bathroom yet.

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, this morning, I got my weekly TUG newsletter and read this thread (I admit, with a chuckle) we are currently staying at Wyndham Old Town and I closed the interweb and went downstairs to get a newspaper. As I walked up to the counter, the front desk lady is talking on the phone and as I step up is literally saying " no sir, we don't have crockpots in the units, sorry." I bout fell over I laughed so hard - must be an attempt by the industry to disassociate itself from any association with crock. :banana: :D :hysterical:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's really against the NYC fire code. I'm guessing it's just Manhattan Club policy or something to do with their insurance. It's always easier to say it's not in their control than admit it's their own rule.

My wife and I stayed at the Residence Inn Times Square 2 years ago and they actually supplied a crock pot in the room.

I'd make sure RCI hears about your experience.
My guess is that it has to do with insurance.

There is a coffee pot and a microwave provided in the room.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just checked out of Marriott residence inn on 6 th and 39th. Different fire code as we had toaster and crock pot in the unit. Also a full refrig with ice maker. Happy that we sold Manhattan club for good profit.

channimal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course I knew, but I wanted to carry the joke a little farther. And the fact is that there are a lot of things that werent there when we were kids.

And here you go...ask and you shall receive .

field range

immersion heater

turns out that you can buy more than timeshares on ebay

we were up at 3 am to prepare breakfast to be served at 6. Good SOS takes time. Part of our prep work was lighting 4 immersion heaters. (prewash, wash, second wash, and rinse). I enjoyed showing a new cook how to light one. There was always a someone walking around with no hair on his arm, and sometimes no eyebrows. And the explosion would wake the troop a little early for breakfast.

oh boy.. lol, brings back great memories. I'd have my squad leaders over for the platoon meeting prior to pt and have the mess sergeant bring coffee. He'd always send the new cooks or those on kp duty to bring it over. Almost always see someone missing eyebrows :hysterical: oh... and usually the tip off was a unique "boom" at about 4am :clap:

Thanks for that Ron.. brought back some really good memories from 25+ years ago :)

Last edited: