• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

making Open Season reservation using regular points

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make an open season reservation using regular club points. I have a situation where I would like to extend our stay, but there is no availability now to extend the reservation. If at the < 30 day mark , there is an availability, can I modify my existing reservation to add an extra day?

The website says, I can use Bonus points or cash to make an Open season reservation, but I would like to use my points instead because it was RESCUED.

Thanks

wmmmmm

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no reason why you can't use points. You're just making regular reservations with your points. Home/Club/Open are just different time period where different owners can reserve rooms with different "currencies". Home is with your yearly allowance. Club is any points and open adds cash. However, I've not used points for open season since I'm always point starved:) . That plus cost wise, it's generally cheaper to pay cash for open season rooms instead of points. But if you have rescued points and must use them, then use them.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You can no longer use Club Points for Open Season reservations. They changed that about a year ago.

You can change your reservation online anytime without penalty as long as your new reservation uses more points than the original reservation. So in your case, you can keep on checking (even after you have passed the 30-day mark) to see if something opens up and add on days if they are available.

Kurt

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're really asking two seperate questions:
Is it possible to make an open season reservation using regular club points.
Open Season availability is basically the same as Club availability so your question could be phrased "can club reservations be made within 30 days of check-in?"--the answer is yes. The only difference would be that Open Season allows two night stays; in that case... no: rescued, current, or borrowed points may not be used for an Open Season two-night reservation.
I have a situation where I would like to extend our stay, but there is no availability now to extend the reservation. If at the < 30 day mark , there is an availability, can I modify my existing reservation to add an extra day?
Open Season reservations have a two day minimum; if you made a new Open Season reservation it would have to be for two more nights. You really just want to extend your existing reservation.

The first question is: is your existing reservation "changeable"? i.e. Did you make it online, or pay the extra $20 ($69 total) reservation fee to make it changeable? If so, then there is no problem (as a previous poster noted) you can just keep checking and if availability opens up you can simply add another day. The points would come from where they currently have priority in your account (I assume your rescued points).

One note: I would call in addition to checking online, especially if "Open Season" availability shows up and "regular" booking doesn't show it. The reason would be that club reservations require a three day minimum and Open Season only two--shorter than three nights would probably not show up in the availability chart for regular booking.

Also: if just one night opens up (which is exactly what you need) it may not even show up in Open Season. Just keep calling and you will probably get lucky.

Changeable reservations made online are supposed to only be changed online, but in certain cases where it is not possible (such as yours) they will be happy to do it over the phone.

If your original reservation is not changeable, then your only choice is to make a new two-day (Open Season, no rescued points allowed) or three-day (Club) reservation.... if it opens up.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jonathan/Kurt/Wayne for your input. Regarding my reservation, I made it online so it is "changeable".

As you guys suggested I will keep on checking for the availability, to add that one extra day.

Thanks

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're really asking two seperate questions:

Open Season availability is basically the same as Club availability so your question could be phrased "can club reservations be made within 30 days of check-in?"--the answer is yes. The only difference would be that Open Season allows two night stays; in that case... no: rescued, current, or borrowed points may not be used for an Open Season two-night reservation.

Open Season reservations have a two day minimum; if you made a new Open Season reservation it would have to be for two more nights. You really just want to extend your existing reservation.

The first question is: is your existing reservation "changeable"? i.e. Did you make it online, or pay the extra $20 ($69 total) reservation fee to make it changeable? If so, then there is no problem (as a previous poster noted) you can just keep checking and if availability opens up you can simply add another day. The points would come from where they currently have priority in your account (I assume your rescued points).

One note: I would call in addition to checking online, especially if "Open Season" availability shows up and "regular" booking doesn't show it. The reason would be that club reservations require a three day minimum and Open Season only two--shorter than three nights would probably not show up in the availability chart for regular booking.

Also: if just one night opens up (which is exactly what you need) it may not even show up in Open Season. Just keep calling and you will probably get lucky.

Changeable reservations made online are supposed to only be changed online, but in certain cases where it is not possible (such as yours) they will be happy to do it over the phone.

If your original reservation is not changeable, then your only choice is to make a new two-day (Open Season, no rescued points allowed) or three-day (Club) reservation.... if it opens up.

Is the number of points that one uses for an open reservation the same as the number required for a club reservation?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is the number of points that one uses for an open reservation the same as the number required for a club reservation?

Yes. However, IMHO, unless you are trying to burn points, paying cash is a better deal.
Example: 2N, M-Thur, in a 1BR at Valdoro within 30 days costs 960 points... or $160+tax.