• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Has anyone ever made a successful make ahead version of mashed potatoes. There's a recipe on allrecipes.com that calls for adding sour cream and cream cheese that seems to have good reviews, but wanted to see if the cooking experts here have had an success.

I know the make ahead ones probably won't match the best of fresh made, but I'm trying to eliminate some of the work for my 90 year old mother in law who still wants to host a Thanksgiving pot luck for extended family. I'm going a day early to help with turkeys and some other things, but trying to eliminate the last minute hassle of mashed potatoes.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's fine to make mashed potatoes ahead of time. I even freeze them. The trick is to whip them again once defrosted. If you make ahead by just a day or two and keep in the fridge, do it in a buttered casserole dish. The just reheat in the oven. You'll get a browned crust and it will puff up a bit, potato souffle!

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I will make my sweet and white potatoes as early as Tuesday, and keep in the refrig. I usually reheat them partially in the microwave while they are covered, and then finish them in the oven. I finds it keeps them more moist.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I make early the day of Thanksgiving, and put them in a crockpot until dinnertime.

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our oldest DD makes an excellent 'make ahead' mashed potato casserole. It's already to pop into the oven when she gets here. I believe it has the sour cream/cream cheese in it.:whoopie:

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't even think one can make mashed potatoes ahead and have it still taste good. Thanks for the ideas -- I'm just starting to stress out about Thanksgiving and needing to clean up the horribly dirty/messy house to prepare for my in-laws arrival on Tuesday. :( I haven't even started on my Thanksgiving meal shopping!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I work full-time and make the whole dinner by myself, so I make everything but the turkey in advance. The week before TG, I make one dish each night and freeze it, then I cook them on TG. They come out great, you would never know they were frozen, and it makes TG much less hectic for me. A few years ago I made everything ahead to take up to a cabin for TG, and everything turned out so well, that I've done it ever since. Tonight I'm doing my shopping and Sat. I will start cooking.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I do a make ahead with sour creem, cream cheese, mushroom soup, cheddar cheese and chopped green onions. They're yummy good, but I can hear my arteries screaming as the fork approaches my mouth!!

patti9600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make Ahead Garlic Mashed Potatoes

:clap: Here is one of my most requested easiest recipes and already requested for Thanksgiving!

Make Ahead Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
2 packages (6oz or 8oz) garlic and herb-flavor Boursin or Rondele brands soft cheese. (I buy it at Costco, its cheaper).
1 1/4 cups low-fat milk

I don't really measure out anymore, just make to taste. You can add more or less. I don't think you even need that much of the cheese.

Pell potatoes and cut into 2 inch chunk. Boil as if you were making regular mashed potates. Drain and return to pan.

Mash potatoes with a masher or mixer until light and dry. Stir in cheese and milk. Mash until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You can serve now, refrigerate or freeze.

To freeze: cool potatoes to room temperature. Divide potatoes into 8 to 9 inch over safe casserole dishes. Cover with foil and freeze. I have even made in lasagna throw away tins.

Potatoes may look watery before freezing, but the water the liquid will be absorbed when baking.

Reheat covered at 375 degrees, 40 minutes for thawed potatoes, 90 minutes straight from freezer.

Makes 8 servings. I always double the recipe.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
I, too, make the do ahead mashers with cream cheese and sour cream. They are yummy and, once cooked, light and fluffy. I do them a few days before Thanksgiving. Do not be concerned if they are heavy and dense like a brick after they are refrigerated and before you cook them. They heat up nicely and are delish. ditto the buttered dish.

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister used to make the sour cream version and her family liked them. I just make regular mashed potatoes, put them in a Corningware pan and butter [margarine is fine] the top to "seal" them. They heat fine in the oven, covered with a lid. Heating them on the stovetop works, but be careful not to burn on the bottom.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I make this recipe early in the afternoon.

Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe (courtesy Alton Brown, 2004)

3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
16 oz (2 cups) half-and-half
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 ounces grated Parmesan

Peel and dice potatoes, making sure all are relatively the same size.
Place in a large saucepan and cover with water.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling boil.
Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.

Heat the half-and-half and the garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
Remove from heat and set aside.

Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain off the water.
Mash and add the garlic-cream mixture, salt, and Parmesan.
Stir to combine.

Let stand for 5 minutes so that mixture thickens and then serve.

The only difference is I put them in the crockpot (instead of serving them immediately). The crockpot option fress me up big time when the bird comes out of the oven.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Thanks for the comments. I'd personally love the recipes with Boursin cheese or garlic cloves but the eaters at this Thanksgiving are pretty traditional, so I think I'll try the sour cream/cream cheese version, figuring it will have a milder flavor. I've seen it get good reviews other places, too.

Of course, my 90 year old mother-in-law is already worried they won't be good enough! Hopefully, they'll pass muster with her. (Although her homemade ones aren't great anyway; they're always too stiff for me. Guess it's what you grew up with.)