• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maintenance fees

vkhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Does anybody own in a resort that does not bump up maintenance fees every year? We got our bill today and predictably, it is up another $50. Since buying in 1997, it has increased from $500 to $923. Ouch!!!

Joanne

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, MFs go up, although occasionally the go down, as has happened at some Marriott resorts, for example.

Your experience isn't bad as timeshare increases go. That's about a 5% annual increase - from 1997 to 2009.

The cost of running a timeshare (and, thus, MFs) goes up just like almost everything else in our budgets. And as a resort gets older, the repairs expense and the need for higher replacement reserves typically increase faster than general inflation.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Until we see negative inflation (and I'm not talking housing), I don't see why anyone would ever expect to see their maintenance fees stay the same or go down. :confused:

Kurt

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Fees, Shmeez.

Does anybody own in a resort that does not bump up maintenance fees every year?
Annual fees at our Orlando timeshares have held steady in recent years.

Ditto our South African timeshare.

Our dinky Arkansas points timeshare fees have gone way, way up.

Go figure.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rayburn County

All of mine have gone up except for one Rayburn County. Actually it did increase a little due to the property tax increase.

I believe the reason the cost have stayed the same is because the HOA actually manages the resort instead of hiring an outside management company.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason the cost have stayed the same is because the HOA actually manages the resort instead of hiring an outside management company.

You are absolutely right. That's the key.

K

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cypress Harbour went up ~5.3% from last year, my SA weeks went down probably due to the currency coming out more in $USD favor, and Rayburn Country stayed the same besides the property tax increase like mentioned above. That resort is almost at capacity though so that is part of the reason they keep them reasonable.

I would expect most timeshares to increase in cost to at least inflation, if not more. I like to go off social security numbers to get an idea of what inflation is doing. For 2009 it's going up 5.8%.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Nothing goes down in cost

Just curious. Does anybody own in a resort that does not bump up maintenance fees every year? We got our bill today and predictably, it is up another $50. Since buying in 1997, it has increased from $500 to $923. Ouch!!!

Joanne

Some hold increases very low but not to rise is almost impossible. Taxes, uitlities, wages, insurance, building and unit maintenance costs (especially as resorts age) and more are only going up. Our Florida properties did very well this year as one went up just $5 - the other $20. In the past we've seen much bigger jumps and it is nice that in this rather challenging period the increases were minimal. The resorts getting hit with big fee increases and especially special assessments are really stressing owners at a bad time.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With a little creativity good things can happen

Cypress Harbour went up ~5.3% from last year, my SA weeks went down probably due to the currency coming out more in $USD favor, and Rayburn Country stayed the same besides the property tax increase like mentioned above. That resort is almost at capacity though so that is part of the reason they keep them reasonable.

I would expect most timeshares to increase in cost to at least inflation, if not more. I like to go off social security numbers to get an idea of what inflation is doing. For 2009 it's going up 5.8%.

And Rayburn was one of the first to catch on the the value of points as a revenue leveling vehicle. They created value where there was little in a week for week model. Kudos to that group (where I own but have never seen or talked to/met a single management or Board member. But it is a resort we have been able to get great value out of).

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that new developments tend to keep their fees low... until the resort it sold out. Then fees hike up a Lot.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not true for many resorts, especially the major chains. The historical evidence for Marriott, as an example, shows that MFs increase by about the same percentage for new resorts being subsidized by Marriott as for mature Marriott resorts with no subsidy. The data for the past 8 years is in the historical MFs database, accessible from the Marriott forum FAQs and from the Marriott section of TUG Advice.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's still more dollars

Not true for many resorts, especially the major chains. The historical evidence for Marriott, as an example, shows that MFs increase by about the same percentage for new resorts being subsidized by Marriott as for mature Marriott resorts with no subsidy. The data for the past 8 years is in the historical MFs database, accessible from the Marriott forum FAQs and from the Marriott section of TUG Advice.

That does seem to be true for Marriott. What that overlooks is that Marriott fees tend to be higher at the start than many resorts and that while the percentage change is more consistent than some the higher base means the dollar amounts are more significant (a 5% increase on a $600 base is much more than 5% on a $300 base). It's all relative and the chains tend to be on average on the high end of the scale.

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
flatlined

Mine at Escapes! to Branson stayed the same. :banana: