• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maintenance Fees

klconley

Reaction score
My husband and I almost bought a new timeshare and then rescinded when we found out how little we could be a second hand timeshare for. however, I got the impression that once you sign the contract with them that maint. fees stay the same. Is it only for new timeshares that this is the case? Thanks. Kelly

urple2

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No maint fees are guaranteed to stay the same... New or resale, no difference.

Things cost more every year...so, You can/will pay more... If you get lucky enough to pick the timeshare that the HOA runs efficiently, then maybe your fees stay reasonable. Also, special assessments can happen.
I've been lucky. My resorts fees have only gone up a few bucks a year(so far). One with a special assessment was minimal.

Lots to learn. You almost have to look upon this as a hobby to enjoy the results.

Have fun learning.

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pay me more or pay me less - fees are the same

My husband and I almost bought a new timeshare and then rescinded when we found out how little we could be a second hand timeshare for. however, I got the impression that once you sign the contract with them that maint. fees stay the same. Is it only for new timeshares that this is the case? Thanks. Kelly

The only cost that stays the same is the purchase cost. The annual fee's will vary, usually upward, over time. Same for retail purchase or resale purchase - same annual fees for all. So save the upfront money by buying resale and use the tens of thousands of dollars saved to pay the annual fees - maybe for decades, Wyndham is a great system but only if you buy resale.

klconley

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all of your responses. So quick. We are happy to be on this site. Kelly

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Timeshare Maintenance Fees All Generally Trend Upward.

That's true of big bux timeshares bought at full freight from timeshare companies as well as 2nd hand timeshares bought for thousands less on the resale market.

One possible difference the timeshare sellers might have had in mind in suggesting level fees on full freight timeshares is something I'm surprised the timeshare sellers would let slip. That's the unfortunate tendency of timeshare companies, while they're calling the shots at newish timeshare resorts, to skimp on reserve funds as a way of keeping overall fees low while the company is still selling units.

The companies reason that lower fees will be more attractive to potential customers. They also reason that by the time the resort needs major serious renovation, paying the bill for it will be somebody else's problem.

In any case, buying resale for nickels on the dollar instead of paying big bux to the timeshare company saves lots & lots of good green money -- enough to cover years & years of timeshare maintenance fees.

Buy timeshares resale.

Save $10,000

BTW, those mandatory annual fees are the true cost of timeshare vacationing. Despite anything the timeshare sellers say, merely owning a timeshare is not locking in prepaid future vacations. Even if I get my timeshare(s) el cheapo or el freebo, those maintenance fees & reserve fees & real estate taxes keep on coming year after year.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
klconley

Lurk

Search

Read

Re Read

Post Questions

Read Answers

Search on suggestions found in answers

Read

Re Read

Post Again

Rent

Rent

One more lifestyle question

Can you plan vacations 13 + months out with no further adjustments to dates ?

Can you drop everything and be able to travel on 1 to 6 weeks notice ?

If you cannot answer yes to one of these (preferably both) you may be someone that timesharing owning is not right regardless of price

Renting allows you access to timesharing in the middle period​

Post Questions

Read

Search

Read

Reread

Decide

Buy

Took me 2 + years to buy my WM membership, in the meantime I rented timeshares for three vacations

klconley

Reaction score
Thanks

My husband and I actually own 189,000 points through wyndham. Yes, we got suckered in in the first sales presention and spent 1500 dollars for a one time 189000 points. Yikes. Although no maint. fees! Anyway. We stayed in Las Vegas and have a reservation for Sedona Az. in December. We are excited and do feel that these memberships are for us. As long as there is some cancellation period--which I know wyndham has 15 days I think. If we go for WM, there are many resorts just in our area. I could go and stay by myself sometimes, with a friend, or family. Kelly