• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maintenance Fee Problem

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an EOY week at Beachplace Towers. My first year of usage is 2013. My deed (which Marriott signed off on) indicates that the first year that I will need to pay maintenance fees is 2013 (same as the first year of usage, which I believe to be correct). However, Marriott has just sent me a bill for maintenance fees for 2012. Where should I call to try to straighten this out (eg. telephone number)?

Thanks

Doug B

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an EOY week at Beachplace Towers. My first year of usage is 2013. My deed (which Marriott signed off on) indicates that the first year that I will need to pay maintenance fees is 2013 (same as the first year of usage, which I believe to be correct). However, Marriott has just sent me a bill for maintenance fees for 2012. Where should I call to try to straighten this out (eg. telephone number)?

Thanks

Doug B

He who pays the bill gets to have the use. Pay it if you want to use it, otherwise go back to the buyer or broker and be sure he or she pays for it.

Hopefully they're honest, because as far as Marriott is concerned you're now on the hook for it.

Hope it works out for you.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
I'm sure you know an EOY unit still has MF's due each year but at half the annual rate. I think you are stuck as the new owner.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Doug B

I would call Marriott owner services and talk to them--they may have a positive answer for you.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
2012 MF is half of 2013 usage. So new owner should pay for it.
But some sellers cover that 50% to make the deal more attractive.
So check with seller. Most likely, seller will say that it is part of 2013 usage, so you are responsible.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
2012 MF is half of 2013 usage. So new owner should pay for it.
But some sellers cover that 50% to make the deal more attractive.
So check with seller. Most likely, seller will say that it is part of 2013 usage, so you are responsible.

Language in bold is definitely not true. EOY weeks are billed with the first half due in the year of usage and the second half due the year following the year of usage. This is often a source of confusion on TUG, but I own two EOY weeks and have owned four others in the past, and this has consistently been the case. The deed is correct. However, OP could still be responsible if his contract of purchase says otherwise--in other words, if he agreed to pay for something that would otherwise be the seller's responsibility.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Language in bold is definitely not true. EOY weeks are billed with the first half due in the year of usage and the second half due the year following the year of usage. This is often a source of confusion on TUG, but I own two EOY weeks and have owned four others in the past, and this has consistently been the case. The deed is correct. However, OP could still be responsible if his contract of purchase says otherwise--in other words, if he agreed to pay for something that would otherwise be the seller's responsibility.

In this case, though, the OP appears to be saying that his agreement with the re-seller was that he would begin paying the MF in 2013. I'm not surprised that the MF bill has come to him because he's now the owner of record in Marriott's books. But if he and the seller did make that agreement, shouldn't this be a simple matter of him contacting the seller to see what arrangements need to be made? Couldn't this be easily taken care of by the seller writing him a check to cover this year's MF bill? I'm not sure what good it would do to involve Marriott when Marriott had nothing to do with the purchase terms?

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have since spoken to the closing company and have faxed a copy of the maintenance fee bill to them. They acknowledge the fact that my obligation to pay maintenance fees begins in 2013 (first year of usage) and promise to take care of the matter by either paying the fees to marriott directly themselves or by submitting corrective paperwork to them within the next few days. I'll keep everyone posted on the results. However, I do agree that maintenance fees begin in the year of usage in connection with EOY ownerships. It also says that on my deed and the language in the deed is acknowledged by marriott.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have since spoken to the closing company and have faxed a copy of the maintenance fee bill to them. They acknowledge the fact that my obligation to pay maintenance fees begins in 2013 (first year of usage) and promise to take care of the matter by either paying the fees to marriott directly themselves or by submitting corrective paperwork to them within the next few days. I'll keep everyone posted on the results. However, I do agree that maintenance fees begin in the year of usage in connection with EOY ownerships. It also says that on my deed and the language in the deed is acknowledged by marriott.
If for some bizarre salesmanship, you find that your purchase of this was contingent upon you paying the PREVIOUS year's pending *half) MF, then they darn better well have deposited HALF (and it better be the big half of the lockout) with II, and therefore you can send it forward for future trades. Or - if there is such a deposit (which I doubt, if the seller is trying to hoodwink somehow into paying the 2012 MF half, left-over), you can always rent it and recoup some $$$ - or use it. What the heck - but since it is out of year of use, you will pay for the famous PARKING at BPT.

What I have told you here is pure wild speculation, of course - but might give you some leverage if the seller turns out to be a weasel. Paper trails and good alternative ideas often open doors you did no know existed.

We own an EOY at BPT, but bought from Marriott last year, as a foreclosure. Still have not used it, since we had a Getaway booked, then got a AC, and before we got the AC (which we used at GV) we had already traded the other half of BPT for Ocean Pointe! So - by 11 months from now, we should be staying in BPT - but still not in our year of use - but as a trade of the lockoff, back into our own property! Don't you love this? Ever try and explain this to people who do NOT own timeshares???

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If the seller was paying 2012 fees and the bill wasn't available yet, you should have received a discount for that amount and then have been responsible for those fees when the bill came due.