• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MagicJacK

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used MagicJack? If so, how does it work and have you used it on US and International trips?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
My looking at reviews on the Web show if it works, it is great but some cannot get it to work at all and the help line is lousy. Sounds like an all or nothing system. Since it is not that expensive, its probably worth a shot if you need the service.

Cheers

allenh91801

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one and it works fine. You need to have your computer on and the magic jack plugged into the USB. The internet connection also needs to be on. You then plug a phone into it and make phone calls. It shows up on your computer as an active program. It's a soft phone that requires a full telephone to work, or else you can use a headphone and microphone and get it to work that way. Voice is a litle digitized as well. Calling US numbers is fine.

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Aruba right now, and I have used it all week (using a wireless Internet connection) to make calls to clients back in Canada and the U.S. Most of the time no problem. One time it was a poor connection so I simply told the client I had a poor connection and I would try the call again. Worked fine the second time. I would recommend it highly.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one. Works fine. Sometimes the audio quality is about like a cell phone, but other times it sounds like a land line. I also use Skype, and both are comparable. I was able to just 'borrow' the modular-jacked room telephone from timeshares in Mexico and Portugal, take them to the place where we had free wi-fi, plug the phone into the MagicJack and dial away.

Can't say that I'd use it for either a fax line or as a sub for regular phone service. We have kids/grandkids in a distant city, so I put our MagicJack's number there so their calls to us are to a local number (for them) and of course no charge to us on the MJ.

Jim Ricks

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happens to incoming calls when you don't have your computer on and/or the MagicJack plugged in the port?

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
What happens to incoming calls when you don't have your computer on and/or the MagicJack plugged in the port?

No clue but it a good question.

Cheers

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score

Goes to voice mail that you set up. The next time you use Magic Jack, you can pick the vm up.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used one for several months and it works fine for me. I've used it to call Canada and the sound was good. I take it on my ts trips to save on my cell minutes.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I got the Magic Jack back in February when we moved. I could not setup the fax machine to work with it. It's ok, but I've relocated and not continued to use it. I still get messages on it from folk who forgot that I've moved out of state. I did have problems with drop calls and an echo on many occasions. If the computer is not on, you cannot receive/make calls.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
FAX on VoIP

I worked for Cisco Systems several years back on a VoIP product. I learned that the software for FAX is different than for voice. Exploiting the voice characteristics for maximum bandwidth use is way different than for FAX. Cisco has a way of detecting a FAX and switching to the right method. I have a hunch that MJ doesn't have that option now.