• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Made it to Maui!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave. Costco? I'm shocked that you bought soda at the market?!:p

I know, right? We haven't been to Costco yet - and it's more than an hour away from this resort. This was supposed to be a "quick stop" shop at the local market last night. Eight items cost me nearly $50. Egads!! :D

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Excellent, we never ran the air for our whole two weeks on Kauai. It's always nice to have just in case.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I meant to post this previously. View from the bedroom end of the balcony toward Black Rock.

Dave

1141 View 3 Black Rock.JPG

taffy19

Reaction score
Well, dang. No Haleakala sunrise this trip. I could make up a big ol' story about why we didn't go, to try and show everyone what a super-duper adventurer I am, but simple truth be told, I goofed up on the alarm, and it didn't go off. We slept right past it. (I guess we were more tired than I thought, and the bed is fantastic! LOL!) I've already checked the Haleakala website, and tickets are Sold Out until next month. Oh well, so it goes. :thumbup:

Dave
Here is a website for star gazing at Haleakala. I just Googled it but may not ? compare to Mauna Kea where you have to drive the last few miles ? with your lights off to keep it completely dark.

https://www.mauistargazing.com/

Reactions: Xan

taffy19

Reaction score
I know, right? We haven't been to Costco yet - and it's more than an hour away from this resort. This was supposed to be a "quick stop" shop at the local market last night. Eight items cost me nearly $50. Egads!! :D

Dave
It is hardly worth it for a couple unless you entertain a lot. We would stop by there if we had family or friends staying with us or if you have a family with kids.

Really sorry that you missed the sunrise today if it was a spectacular one but you will be back. ;)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a website for star gazing at Haleakala. I just Googled it but may not ? compare to Mauna Kea where you have to drive the last few miles ? with your lights off to keep it completely dark.

https://www.mauistargazing.com/

I never went up for sunrise, but did go during the daytime. It was great that we didn’t have to deal with any traffic and the views were great.
We went up in shorts and a t-shirt, and wasn’t too bad, but a sweatshirt jacket would of cut the wind. Also could of used water and chapstick due to how dry it was. I’m sure before sunrise the temperature can get really cold, that’s why we weren’t too worried about a coat during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@DaveNW You know you can check daily for sunrise reservations, right?

A small number of last-minute tickets are released online two days beforehand at 4:00 PM HST. The website will show tickets as sold out until 4:00 PM. Please see step-by-step instructions below for help with booking.

Grocery in the cannery is cheaper than times....IMHO

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
You are also close to the Fish Market, which has both dine in and take out options. Do you have grills available there? If so, they will give you spices/sauces to grill your fresh fish. Awesome if you like fresh fish! Dolly's Pizza and Miso Phat are so just up the road.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You are also close to the Fish Market, which has both dine in and take out options. Do you have grills available there? If so, they will give you spices/sauces to grill your fresh fish. Awesome if you like fresh fish! Dolly's Pizza and Miso Phat are so just up the road.

I second Dolly’s Pizza. I always say that’s the the best pizza I have had on any island. Although there are a couple new places on Kauai that have at least good pizza now. :)

taffy19

Reaction score
I never went up for sunrise, but did go during the daytime. It was great that we didn’t have to deal with any traffic and the views were great.
We went up in shorts and a t-shirt, and wasn’t too bad, but a sweatshirt jacket would of cut the wind. Also could of used water and chapstick due to how dry it was. I’m sure before sunrise the temperature can get really cold, that’s why we weren’t too worried about a coat during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did it once and it was bitter cold plus the hauling wind made it even worse plus it wasn’t a spectacular sunrise that morning.

They pick you up in the middle of the night so you need an alarm clock that works or is set properly even if you drive up yourself, Dave. ;)

Then we started going up to see the sunsets but now that is very popular too so you’ll come back after dark.

It is still a very nice trip during the day and I never understand why some people do not like Maui.

Each island is different but each island has something very special so we have no favorite. We like them all.

Last edited:

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
We will be at the KBC one week from today! I have a few questions, Dave. First, I was hearing opposing responses regarding whether the breakfast buffet is still offered, and if it is, which days of the week? Two years ago it was available every day, and it was a good deal. Plus, there was Freddie the omelet guy! He was always so cheerful and it was so nice to see him year after year.

Is there any ocean view from the patio/pool area? We usually rent a cabana the day after our arrival so we get on Hawaii time in a relaxed manner-- if there's no ocean view from the cabanas, I don't think we would bother.

In case you weren't aware, (at least as of two years ago) happy hour had good prices and very good drinks available. I liked to eat a nice little snack during happy hour so we could have dinner late -- we enjoy walking around Front Street later in the day when it's cooler before heading somewhere for dinner.

Almond123

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fanta Sea Resorts, Flagship Atlantic City;
The Bay Club at Waikoloa, HGVC;
Ka'anapali Beach Resort, DRI;
There is also a shuttle bus that runs from there a couple times a day to the shopping center and that was something we used a lot more than I thought we would. It saved from paying for parking and ran right on time everyday. I think it cost us 3 dollars a person when we were there last year. I won there and last ear was our first time going.

We will be back yearly also as we really liked it there and along with a week we own on the big island it makes for a nice couple of weeks in paradise. Enjoy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNW You know you can check daily for sunrise reservations, right?

A small number of last-minute tickets are released online two days beforehand at 4:00 PM HST. The website will show tickets as sold out until 4:00 PM. Please see step-by-step instructions below for help with booking.

Grocery in the cannery is cheaper than times....IMHO

Thanks. I’ll try for the tickets. When I checked this morning for every day we’re here, they said they were sold out till next month.

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what the kitchens look like. There is an electric skillet on top of the fridge. Fortunately, there's several restaurants within walking distance. You can also get takeout from the poolside restaurant.

13%20Ka%27anapali%20Beach%20Club%20room%201203%20-L.jpg
I love the shoes by the door. This is us, everywhere we go. We refer to it as "the shoe flotilla." Depending on location, the flotilla is sometimes broken into two--one inside and one outside (this almost always is when we're at a low-traffic beach location.) We're just the type of people who tend not to wear shoes inside the house (and my mother has "indoor" shoes vs. her "outdoor" ones.) Just nice to see that we're not the only ones, LOL!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I love the shoes by the door. This is us, everywhere we go. We refer to it as "the shoe flotilla." Depending on location, the flotilla is sometimes broken into two--one inside and one outside (this almost always is when we're at a low-traffic beach location.) We're just the type of people who tend not to wear shoes inside the house (and my mother has "indoor" shoes vs. her "outdoor" ones.) Just nice to see that we're not the only ones, LOL!
With all the salt and sand in Minnesota winters, everybody takes their shoes off at the front door when visiting someone's house. They seem to do the same thing in Hawaii because of the red dirt.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Based on Xan's recommendation, we had breakfast today at Soup Nutz / Java Jazz, in the strip mall across the road from the resort. It's quite a place visually. Eclectic isn't quite the right word for the decor, as there are things everywhere on the walls and ceiling. Very entertaining. (Chaotic might be a better word.) Don't let the name fool you, or put you off. This place is outstanding! The coffee and food were absolutely great. Very, very good. We had a Hawaiian Omelette, (like a Denver omelette, but it had pineapple. Excellent!) and Eggs Benedict. All of it tasted homemade. We will definitely eat there again.

Dave

Java Jazz Eggs Benedict.JPGJava Jazz Hawaiian Omelette.JPGJavaJazz.jpg

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
After breakfast we drove north along the shoreline to Nakalele Blowhole. It was kind of a bust - no spray! I stood there taking picture after picture, each time it looked like it might produce a great plume, but nope. It fizzled every time. We spoke with a Local, and asked why that was happening, and he said, "It's low tide. Not enough water." Made sense. This next image was the best picture I took. If you look left of top center, you can just see a trace of spray that had come from the blowhole. Yeah, I know - pretty disappointing. The Halona Blowhole on Oahu and Spouting Horn on Kauai both are dramatically better than this was today. It was a nice drive, but not worth the trouble. The second image is the coastline looking further north from the Blowhole. Pretty rugged scenery.

Nakalele Blowhole.JPG Nakalele Blowhole Coastline.JPG

On the way back we stopped at a scenic turnout, where a Local (I later found out his name is Kalani) was selling "Julia's best banana bread." We figured it was worth a look. Oh my gosh, it was EXCELLENT! We bought a loaf for $9.00, and felt it was well worth it. They also sell Lilikoi Butter in a jar for $20, but I knew if I bought that I'd probably drop it on the way home. He mentioned they also sell from their website, and ship to the Mainland. I can't say enough good things about the bread - so fresh and tasty! Highly recommended. I'm sure I'll be buying more from them. https://juliasbananabread.com

We stopped at the overlook above Honolua Bay and watched the snorkelers. There were probably fifty in the water on a sunny Sunday. Looks like they were having lots of fun.

Honolua BayJPG.JPG

While we were watching the snorkelers, I could see periodic large splashes quite a ways out in the water. Too far out for it to be a snorkeler, but happening regularly enough that I thought maybe it was a leftover whale who hadn't left the area this season. A Local was sitting in his truck watching the activity too, and I asked if he knew what it was. He said it was dolphins feeding. There were dark swirls visible in the water, darker than the color of the ocean. He said that was shoals of fish. I tried to get a picture, but it didn't work. I'm mentioning it here, in case you find yourself standing on an overlook watching the water. Look out further from shore, and see if you can't see dolphins feeding. It was pretty cool to see.

After we got back to Highway 30, we drove down to Lahaina to wander around for awhile. Did a bit of window shopping, I bought another Aloha shirt. (Can a guy ever have too many, really? I don't think so.) It was hot and crowded, so we sidetracked into Captain Jack's, across from the big Banyan tree, and had a few cold ones. Something to be said for Kona Brewing Company's Longboard Lager draught beer in a frosty mug on a hot day. Really refreshing. :)

Kona Brewing Longboard Lager.JPG

We're back at the condo taking a break, a little snooze, and having a snack. Dinner plans are undecided. I think that's part of why they call this "vacation."

Oh, and @taterhed: Rob, thanks for the tip about Haleakala tickets. I was able to book a ticket for day after tomorrow morning. Cool! So it seems I didn't haul these winter coats and hats and scarves and gloves all the way to Hawaii for nothing! Now I just need to make sure I get the alarm clock working right! :)

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beer, Banana Bread and an Aloha Shirt, life doesn't get any better than that. Don't kid yourself, you've got this down. ;)

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Julia’s banana bread and the lillikoi butter! We happened upon her stand by sheer happenstance just mere moments before the bread arrived HOT from the oven. I come from a long line of bakers, and it was some of the best I’ve ever had!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We will be at the KBC one week from today! I have a few questions, Dave. First, I was hearing opposing responses regarding whether the breakfast buffet is still offered, and if it is, which days of the week? Two years ago it was available every day, and it was a good deal. Plus, there was Freddie the omelet guy! He was always so cheerful and it was so nice to see him year after year.

Is there any ocean view from the patio/pool area? We usually rent a cabana the day after our arrival so we get on Hawaii time in a relaxed manner-- if there's no ocean view from the cabanas, I don't think we would bother.

In case you weren't aware, (at least as of two years ago) happy hour had good prices and very good drinks available. I liked to eat a nice little snack during happy hour so we could have dinner late -- we enjoy walking around Front Street later in the day when it's cooler before heading somewhere for dinner.

Here are your answers:

The Breakfast Buffet is offered on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only. (One person said maybe also Monday, but the desk clerk said No. But then she said "Not on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. So I don't know about Monday.) It is $15.

Yes, Freddie the omelette guy is still there.

Ocean view from pool/patio area: It depends on where you sit. Study this image:

Overhead view.JPG

The blue cabanas you see can be rented. The chairs around the pool area may or may not be able to see the ocean, depending on which chair you get. The beach in front of the resort is under a preservation/restoration process, and it's basically blocked from access, although you technically CAN see the ocean from a chair or the cabanas closer to the water. These pictures give you a relative ground-level view, taken from the cabanas:

Pool Area from Cabanas.JPG Small pool to beach 2.JPG Small pool to beach.JPG

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We love Julia’s banana bread and the lillikoi butter! We happened upon her stand by sheer happenstance just mere moments before the bread arrived HOT from the oven. I come from a long line of bakers, and it was some of the best I’ve ever had!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I come from a long line of bakery product eaters, and I agree with you. LOL! The stuff is outstanding.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It was lightly raining, so we ate on-site for dinner, at the resort's Ohana Grill. No pictures, but we had a tasty burger with avocado and pepperjack cheese, and the "Ohana Cheesesteak," with onions, mushrooms, and provolone. Tasty fare all around. We topped it off with a special "drink of the day" from the bar, a lemonade drink made with Absolut citron vodka, mango and pineapple juice. Very tasty, too. Maybe one helped the other. :)

Tomorrow maybe we'll finally get to Costco. We'll see. ;)

Dave

Reactions: Xan

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
Thanks so much! It looks like none of the cabanas are ocean-front like they used to be; understandable, but really a shame. It was hard to tell, but it looks like there are still pretty good ocean views. The pool is very pretty, of course, so we'll check the cabanas and the double chairs with the shade fabric (gazebos?) out when we get there.

Do you know why some of the walk-way and front of the waterfall is cordoned off?

Somehow I lost a day-- today is Sunday, and we will be there next Saturday.

I really appreciate your input, and I'm so glad to hear Freddie is still there. He's a treasure.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Do you know why some of the walk-way and front of the waterfall is cordoned off?

I don't. I just arrived yesterday, and I haven't actually been in the pool area until today, when I went down to take pictures for you. It was lightly raining, so I didn't stick around. That's why it was mostly deserted.

There is construction going on around the resort. The main entrance is being reworked, so the circle drive at the front of the resort is blocked off, as is the downhill ramp into the parking garage. Everything is entering the parking garage from the back of the resort.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Today was "errand day." We both got a bit too much sun driving around in the convertible with the top down the last two days, so we're taking it easy today. Started with another breakfast at the same place as yesterday. Soup Nutz / Java Jazz is a great place to eat. This time I had sense enough to snap a picture of the interior of the place:

Java Jazz Interior.JPG

As I said, it's a very interesting place to eat. The food was as good today as it was yesterday. I had the Hawaiian Omelette again, and asked for extra cheese in it this time, since it was a wee bit lacking yesterday. They compensated very well, and it was just about the perfect omelette experience. Really enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Following that, we headed to Whaler's Village in Lahaina, in search of a pair of Teva (or similar style) river sandals. No luck. We were told there was a shoe store there, but apparently it's closed down. And since they charge $3.00 for a half hour to park there :eek:, we had to hunt around to find something to make the $15 minimum purchase to get validated parking. ABC Store to the rescue. A bottle of Koloa Rum Company's Pineapple Passion Fruit cocktail did the trick. It's in the fridge chilling right now. Looking forward to trying it, maybe with a slice of that awesome banana bread... :)

Koloa Cocktail.JPG

After that, since we hadn't found the sandals, we headed for Kahului. Long way around, we found them at Island Feet, on Dairy Road in Kahului. Yay! And since we were already in Kahului, of course, we HAD to stop at Costco. That, as many of you know, can be a life-changing experience.

I had no idea how many items could be sold at a really big Costco. And this one is HUGE. Just the refrigerated and freezer sections of the warehouse are about a quarter of the square footage of my warehouse back home. They had SO much for sale, it was amazing. What sort of items, you ask? Well, how about an entire frozen pig, in case you wanted to do a luau? Or how about made-on-Oahu Cornflake Butter Crunch Cookies? (They're absolutely awesome, by the way.) And even Kona Coffee Macadamia Nut Brittle. It just sounded good. So two of those three made it into our car, and we headed for home. ;)

Costco Pig.jpg Cornflake Butter Crunch.jpg Macadamia Brittle.JPG

So now that we're back at the condo again, I'm getting ready to head down to the pool to test out my new prescription snorkeling mask and underwater camera. If it all works as planned, there will be a snorkeling adventure in my near future. We liked the looks of Honolua Bay so much, I think that may be where we'll head. And if it doesn't work as expected, well, all bets are off. ;)

Dave

Last edited: