• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to buy EOY MOC - prices

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
After trading for the last few years, I see that the only place I ever want to go back to is Maui so I am selling my timeshares and have settled on a Marriott Maui Ocean Club EOY.
The EOY ones are not so easy to find but I was wondering why is there such a huge price difference between the main building and The towers?
I have only stayed once in the main building and I find the extra bathroom a very nice feature.
Are the towers more expensive because they are newer?
If you were buying, where would you buy?
Thanks!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
The main buildings are converted hotel rooms, no full kitchen and no in suite laundry. The newer Napili and Lahaina buildings have a full kitchen and laundry facilities in suite. And yes, they are more expensive. As to which one to buy, it is a personal choice. If the amenities in the newer tower are more important to you than an extra bathroom, then you buy in the Napili or Lahaina tower. There is a communal kitchen with cooktops for use by people in the original buildings and free laundry facilities on the ground floor. There are also plenty of bar-b-q grills on the grounds.

Last edited:

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Funny that I don't remember the lack of kitchens. It was our first time so I guess we were spending a lot of time eating out but that might become an issue over time...
I wonder if it worth an extra $10k though...

Bill4728

Reaction score
IMHO, the more you go back to the same resort the more you'll find yourself wanting to use the kitchen. SO if I where looking to buy a TS in Maui I'd look for one with at least a workable kitchen ( doesn't need to be a full gourmet kitchen like the towers) BUT IMHO the kitchen at MOC is so bad that I think of it as a 1/4 kitchen.

The studio side of the towers also have a really limited kitchen which I also dislike. especially since the studio side of the Westin TS have a great (but smaller) kitchen.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Assuming that you're talking about a 2BR unit, I think you'll find it very difficult to find an EOY in the new towers. We own two weeks in the old buildings, and have no issues whatsoever with the kitchenette, since we prefer to eat out more than cooking in (part of the whole Hawaiian experience, IMO).

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
In your circumstances, I would personally buy only in the new towers, which is where we own. We initially owned in the original section but did an "equity upgrade" shortly after the new towers were built in order to own there.

Marriott sold no EOY weeks in the new towers until Lahaina Tower was sold out and Napili Tower had been in sales for awhile, and then DC was introduced before Napili was completely sold out, so there is definitely a rather limited supply of new tower EOY weeks in existence.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see. Well I guess the rarity is what accounts for the price then.
The EOY is a must for us as we will not go every year from the East Coast.
I was not prepared to spend $20k for it though
Though I got cheap and bought a voluntary versus a mandatory Starwood and ended up regretting that decision. Maybe I should just bite the bullet...

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Since you haven't stayed in the newer towers. If it was me and I was considering spending $20K I'd make sure I'd stayed in that kind of unit. Why not try renting from an owner once. You could even rent one week in the main building and one in the new tower to see if it was worth the extra money for you.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
We have one of each. The conversion units works out great when we have the grand kids (extra bathroom), and the purpose build units are great for the second week when we do our wash. Besides the full kitchen they also have ceiling fans. Whereas the conversion units on the lower floors can have really large balconies. They both have their pluses and minuses. Doesn't sound like you've seen both, so maybe the pictures in the link below will help...

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Aloha Optimist,

I agree that EOY's are rarer in the new towers but we have 3 weeks in Napili that are EOY's so they are out there. The first 2 weeks we bought were in '09 direct from Marriott, 2 Bdrm Oceanfront for 2 weeks EOYO. Love both Maui and this property so much we just added on a resale EOYE one week 2 bdrm Island view a few months ago.

We have not yet stayed in an Island view but we just didn't want to fork over so much $$ right now for another oceanfront Napili. Prices were just too high to justify right now. We thought we got a decent deal on the 2 bdrm EOYE Island view, it was a bit under $8000. Sure wish you lots of luck. YOu've gotten great advice from folks more knowledgeable than myself since I consider myself a relatively "new" MMOC owner. I say be patient no matter what your decision.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great advice everyone.
I will keep my eye out but I think it is a very good idea to rent in the Towers and see the difference for myself.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should check EBay. EOY Marriott Maui timeshares appear regularly at very low prices, although most of them are in the original buildings.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another thing to be aware of - and BocaBoy or another MM1 owner can verify - is that not all 2BR units in the new towers lock-off to a 1BR + Studio. That may or may not be a factor for you, but it certainly was for us when we bought our 2BR unit in the old building.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Another thing to be aware of - and BocaBoy or another MM1 owner can verify - is that not all 2BR units in the new towers lock-off to a 1BR + Studio. That may or may not be a factor for you, but it certainly was for us when we bought our 2BR unit in the old building.

There are apparently a very few non lockoffs in the new towers, but every owner has the ability to lock off regardless of what specific unit is in their deed. I would not even know that a non lockoff existed except that it was reported here on TUG. Unless it has changed recently, the online reservation system does not even give the opportunity to reserve a non lockoff specifically.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are apparently a very few non lockoffs in the new towers, but every owner has the ability to lock off regardless of what specific unit is in their deed. I would not even know that a non lockoff existed except that it was reported here on TUG. Unless it has changed recently, the online reservation system does not even give the opportunity to reserve a non lockoff specifically.

I've read it elsewhere (some units not being lock-offs), but if every float owner has the ability to lock-off, then it doesn't appear to be an issue.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I've read it elsewhere (some units not being lock-offs), but if every float owner has the ability to lock-off, then it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Yes, it is a non-issue for owners.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Yes, it is a non-issue for owners.

It could be an issue if you want to lock off and there isn't the availability to do so.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I know there is one unit per floor in Lahaina Villas (of 7 units) that is a dedicated 2BR. I do not know if there are any in Napili. The LV unit is MG for first six floors then OV above sixth floor.

Best.

Greg

Last edited:

gwhamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I am not an expert by any means on the matter of lock off units in the Napili towers I would like to share this information. We just returned from a weeks stay in this tower that I got from a owner via a ownertrades.com exchange.
We stayed in room 6315. When I talked with a desk clerk about the unit one morning she stated that our reservation was in a very limited, but specific category in that it was a 2 bedroom, non-lock off unit, with a island garden view. We were actually in a ADA handicap accessible room but we did not request such accommodations.

jread

TUG Member
Reaction score
After trading for the last few years, I see that the only place I ever want to go back to is Maui so I am selling my timeshares and have settled on a Marriott Maui Ocean Club EOY.
The EOY ones are not so easy to find but I was wondering why is there such a huge price difference between the main building and The towers?
I have only stayed once in the main building and I find the extra bathroom a very nice feature.
Are the towers more expensive because they are newer?
If you were buying, where would you buy?
Thanks!
I'm in the same boat, but we decided to purchase in the original towers for financial and availability reasons. I've seen Napili EOY listings come up from time to time, but they go quickly and for much more than original towers. If you want ocean front, the original towers are also much closer to the ocean. We toured Napili last summer and they are very nice, and would be our first choice if prices were lower and units more readily available. FYI, a couple weeks ago we attempted to purchase an EOY OF 2BD LO in the original towers for $9500 and Marriott exercised RORF.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It could be an issue if you want to lock off and there isn't the availability to do so.

There are so few of them in Lahaina/Napili Towers that it is really not an issue. The only way it could mathematically become an issue is if literally almost everyone elected to lock off their unit for a given week, which is not what happens.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Either way, you really have to evaluate if the new furnishings, full kitchen, etc. are worth the difference in price. For us, given that we spend such a significant time out of the unit, it didn't make much sense. We also don't need a full kitchen, and don't mind doing laundry in the common area.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, but we decided to purchase in the original towers for financial and availability reasons. I've seen Napili EOY listings come up from time to time, but they go quickly and for much more than original towers. If you want ocean front, the original towers are also much closer to the ocean. We toured Napili last summer and they are very nice, and would be our first choice if prices were lower and units more readily available. FYI, a couple weeks ago we attempted to purchase an EOY OF 2BD LO in the original towers for $9500 and Marriott exercised RORF.

Thank you for sharing that. As I was thinking about it more and more, I was beginning to think I could live without a kitchen. Only three things are non negotiable. Ocean front, 2br and EOY. Since I had budgeted about 10k for this purchase, I am disheartened to know that it wouldn't pass ROFR even in the original towers.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for sharing that. As I was thinking about it more and more, I was beginning to think I could live without a kitchen. Only three things are non negotiable. Ocean front, 2br and EOY. Since I had budgeted about 10k for this purchase, I am disheartened to know that it wouldn't pass ROFR even in the original towers.

I don't think it's an absolute that you wouldn't be able to pass ROFR @ 10k for an EOY OF in the old towers. Marriott did exercise on the one referenced in this post, but if you search through older posts, you'll find that it really depends on a case by case basis. I paid $8300 for my EOY OV 2BR unit in the old towers (that passed ROFR), and found at least one reference to somebody attempting to pay $9k for the same unit and having it snatched up by Marriott.

It's still worth a shot, IMO, and the worst that happens is that your deposit is tied up in escrow for a few weeks while awaiting Marriott's decision. If it were me, I'd go in with my strongest offer (probably $10.5-1k) and hope for the best.