• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

looking for star options

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
I currently own a biannual week at SVV Key West with 97500 points (purchased resale). I have been using II to split the the unit into 2 1-bedrooms and I have successfully booked 4 weeks at very nice resorts. But the considering the exchange fees, and the fact that I want to use properties in the starwood network I am considering purchasing another week. My goal is to have enough points to be able to book 2 consecutive weeks for a 1 Br at locations such us Bahamas, or Cancun and 1 trip to hawaii in the next 10 years.

What would be the best resort to look at from the mandatory resorts? I was looking at the Kierland villas, but the upfront cost seems to high at the moment.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
If you buy at SVV, make sure to buy only in the Bella or Key West phases. The others are voluntary.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you're looking at the long term, such as the 10 years you mention, you should consider WKV more carefully. SVV is less expensive up front but has a higher annual MF than WKV. Do the math. After 10 years I suspect you'll be ahead with WKV vs SVV, assuming a reasonable annual increase in MF for both.

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Platinum WKV - unless upfront cost is issue.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Realistically, booking Harborside will be tough unless you are willing to go in low season and risk having some of the amenities at Atlantis closed.

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
thank you for your replies. I do not want to just buy into SVV in case something happens to the SVN membership, or if there any any special assessment on the property etc.

I am thinking about the Kierland villas, what would be a good price to pay for a 2br LO platinum week?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you for your replies. I do not want to just buy into SVV in case something happens to the SVN membership, or if there any any special assessment on the property etc.

Would you please clarify this? The same concerns should similarly apply to WKV. Why do you feel that they are different? WKV costs about 18K, SVV costs about 1 to 3K. Alot less money for the same risks.

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
Would you please clarify this? The same concerns should similarly apply to WKV. Why do you feel that they are different? WKV costs about 18K, SVV costs about 1 to 3K. Alot less money for the same risks.

I think WKV is more of an elite destination. And I would use it more even if things were to change with the points system.

but at 18k seems to high to justify.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Once again, do the math. "Too high to justify" compared to what? SVV? Only if you intend on keeping the timeshare a few years and then selling...

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I think WKV is more of an elite destination. And I would use it more even if things were to change with the points system.

This is not a one-size-fits-all decision. Much of this could also depend on where you live. ('It' all falls apart, and you would still enjoy the resort if you were to be forced to use...). I am the of the ilk to buy where I would be okay vacationing - I would not by a resort that I would not use (at least for SVN).

WKV does cost more upfront - and I own two Plat (81K SO each). For the most part, I have been renting them for over 2x of the MFs since 2007 - and in future will use or use as SVN exchange (or whatever exchange system that exists at the time). They have paid for themselves, and still hold original resale value - and would not be hard to sell (at least this point in time).

YMMV

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

If for whatever reason you cannot use it, a two bedroom WKV rents for about $3500 during prime season vs. MF's of about $1,500. That is a $2,000 profit on an $18,000 investment -- an ROI of about 11.11%.

By that metric (which is commonly used in the non-timeshare world), WKV platinum is cheap compared to 95+% of timeshares.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
WKORV is also in the same ballpark for purchasing and renting. OV unit. Maintenance fees are higher, but I'd be happier in Maui than in Scottsdale, if all else fell apart.

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
This is not the intended purpose, but what would be the trading power of the 1br (2Br LO split) in interval? Would it be similar to the SVV?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is not the intended purpose, but what would be the trading power of the 1br (2Br LO split) in interval? Would it be similar to the SVV?

-It would get the standard Starwood to Starwood priority in Interval.

-Florida is not as strong as some other deposits, because there is more supply than demand in Florida.

-In the last year, Starwood deposits in Interval have decreased, but since Interval has bought Starwood, we have no idea what is going to happen after March 1.

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
-It would get the standard Starwood to Starwood priority in Interval.

-Florida is not as strong as some other deposits, because there is more supply than demand in Florida.

-In the last year, Starwood deposits in Interval have decreased, but since Interval has bought Starwood, we have no idea what is going to happen after March 1.

thank you as usual :) Best Moderator ever!!!!