• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Log cabin bath floor

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just finishing our 18 mo, project of building a log cabin. At others suggestion the floor of the second floor is the cieling of the first floor (2x6 T&G). When sealing the floor the sealant leaked down to the first floor and now we are told the bath needs some different waterproof flooring to fix the problem. I have looked ar tile, laminate and thick sealants and can't determine the best solution. Any help or suggestions would be very helpful. Yours, Jim

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuggers without an opinion

A first. Seriously, still looking for some help or suggestions. Thanks in advance. Yours. Jim

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that unless you want to be continually re-sealing the floor, your best solution will be to underlay with plywood or chipboard then vinyl sheet goods. You might get along for a while with a roll-on multi-coat product- like Varithane with sprinkles for color, but I can't see this being a permanent fix. I thing it'll just crack out along the 2x6 seams.

Jim Ricks

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
When sealing the floor the sealant leaked down to the first floor and now we are told the bath needs some different waterproof flooring to fix the problem. I have looked ar tile, laminate and thick sealants and can't determine the best solution. Any help or suggestions would be very helpful. Yours, Jim

Why are you sealing the floor? I assume that the flooring is finished (both sides) tongue and groove pine (or hardwood) since it shows as the ceiling on the floor below?

As for the bath, no difference with the exception that the or shower would have a waterproof fiberglass base or a custom built shower pan

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I understand the problem. The sealant leaked down to the first floor? Right through the subfloor? Or around the sides? What kind of sealant? What was it designed to do?

I think bathrooms are also supposed to have a waterproof membrane.

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
More info

Unfinished 2x6 floor/ceilings were used ,then the floor sanded and sealed with 3 coats of water based poly. They look wonderful and I hate to hide them, however the poly did leak through in small amounts at a few places. The directions for the poly instruct you to pour a line along one wall and squeege(sp.) across the rest of the floor with an applicator. I may have poured too close to the wall where there is a joint but I can't take a chance on that happening with water (three active bathing grandkids or unaware renters). I was also told that a wet towel or rag left on the water based poly for an extended time would produce a white area that would remain for a while.
In short, I feel I have to do something and have always had helpful suggesdtions from Tuggers on very large array of subjects. Thanks again. Yours ,Jim

dboy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had clear pine floors in our last 2 homes for 20 years. Water can be an issue. I would suggest a couple soats of Urethane that is NOT water based--The sales people will tell you that the water based is just as good but traust me they are wrong. Just roll it on like paint but sand between coats. A clear wood baseboard siliconed to the floor should seal the edges and keep any water on the floor from getting under the walls. Dripping towels may still be an issue but that is the hazard of most floors--not designed for continuous water laying on them:)