• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Locking off Marriott into two units in an ongoing request search?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
I haven't purchased my Marriott trader yet but am thinking about whether to buy a 3 bedroom and lock off into a 2 bedroom and lockoff 1 bedroom
or the 2 bedroom-1 bedroom/studio combo probably at Grand Chateau. Is the 3 bedroom overkill for trading? Do they make 3 bedroom biennials
or are they just 2 bedrooms? I haven't seen any 3 bedroom biennial listings.

My question is for trading purposes in II how does it work with setting up ongoing requests to upgrade to bigger units?
Are you stuck just manually searching and then paying the upgrade fee if you want to use the studio/1 bedroom to get a 2 bedroom or larger unit or
can you set up an ongoing request and pay the upgrade fee up front with an ongoing request?
I mainly want to use my 1 bedroom side to trade into Oceana Palms which is all 2 bedrooms or Crystal Shores and hoping with the Marriott preference
that I can do an ongoing request and get something in the summer and not just off season like I have been getting with my other traders.

I would probably use the 2 bedroom to try to get another 2 bedroom in DVC or should I be working this the other way around meaning use the
1 bedroom for the DVC trades and the 2 bedroom for the beach trades?
I do tend to go to Disney in the off season except for OKW in the summer for the pools so that would be maybe considered high season.
I've been using my DVC points for that but would love to use a trader instead for those trips and use my points for the better resorts since
I bought them direct from Disney and they don't have any restrictions on use in the newer resorts.

Is this doable?
Thanks.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can set an going search to only match the size units that you want. You just have to agree that you will pay the up size fee based on what matches with the credit card on file.

I do not think you need to use a 2-bedroom to get a trade into Disney. A good 1-bedroom deposit with high trade power is enough. Getting Disney is more about what they deposit than actual trade power. 98% of the Disney inventory in Interval is SSR & OKW. With AKL the next more likely I would say.

Crystal Shores is a very tough trade. One of the rarest Marriott resorts to see in Interval- but not impossible, particularity in Summer & Fall. You will definitely want to enter an OGS for this one.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't purchased my Marriott trader yet but am thinking about whether to buy a 3 bedroom and lock off into a 2 bedroom and lockoff 1 bedroom
or the 2 bedroom-1 bedroom/studio combo probably at Grand Chateau. Is the 3 bedroom overkill for trading? Do they make 3 bedroom biennials

My question is for trading purposes in II how does it work with setting up ongoing requests to upgrade to bigger units?
Are you stuck just manually searching and then paying the upgrade fee if you want to use the studio/1 bedroom to get a 2 bedroom or larger unit or
can you set up an ongoing request and pay the upgrade fee up front with an ongoing request?
I mainly want to use my 1 bedroom side to trade into Oceana Palms which is all 2 bedrooms or Crystal Shores and hoping with the Marriott preference
that I can do an ongoing request and get something in the summer and not just off season like I have been getting with my other traders.

I would probably use the 2 bedroom to try to get another 2 bedroom in DVC or should I be working this the other way around meaning use the
I do tend to go to Disney in the off season except for OKW in the summer for the pools so that would be maybe considered high season.
I've been using my DVC points for that but would love to use a trader instead for those trips and use my points for the better resorts since
I bought them direct from Disney and they don't have any restrictions on use in the newer resorts.

Is this doable?
Thanks.
I have a Platinum 2BR Ocean Pointe that I lock off and trade using an OGS for each most years for the past twenty. I almost always trade each for a 2BR unit. That being said, I have tried for Crystal Shores since it opened. The only way I have successfully traded into Crystal Shores was with my MIL's 3 BR Marriott Hilton Head unit for an August 2BR. I would not count on a 1BR trade into Crystal Shores.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau

Is this doable?
Thanks.
Are you able to plan within a 2 month period? If so My Studio and 1BR Grand Chateau can both see 2 BRs within the 2 period time in summer. if planned further out I see Studio and 1 BR(sometimes) with the studio. my 1BR i havent really looked and as of now i dont see anything past 2 months. - Referring to DVC

If you are planning to do longer than 2 month planning I would suggest getting a 3 BR for 2 BR and hope for 1 BR Into 2 BR. Another thing to consider is some people have mentioned trading powers have gotten a bit less for the highly desired areas like hawaii(possibly DVC too?!?!). Not sure if you have a desire to go there - and if traders get less value then what they use to it might be ok to commit to a 3BR for the long term.

Last edited:

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to plan within a 2 month period? If so My Studio and 1BR Grand Chateau can both see 2 BRs within the 2 period time in summer. if planned further out I see Studio and 1 BR(sometimes) with the studio. my 1BR i havent really looked and as of now i dont see anything past 2 months.

If you are planning to do longer than 2 month planning I would suggest getting a 3 BR for 2 BR and hope for 1 BR Into 2 BR. Another thing to consider is some people have mentioned trading powers have gotten a bit less for the highly desired areas like hawaii(possibly DVC too?!?!). Not sure if you have a desire to go there - and if traders get less value then what they use to it might be ok to commit to a 3BR for the long term.
You can see Crystal Shores for this summer with a studio and 1BR Grand Chateau?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves, platinum season, 2 bedroom lockoff. It's like Lakeshore Reserve because it has the big one bedroom and the lockoff side is actually pretty big and not just a small studio. That unit trades extremely well, both sides of the lockoff.

We haven't stayed at Crystal Shores lately. I don't know which resort I used to trade into Crystal Shores, but I am sure it had to be Willow Ridge because that is the only thing we owned in 2018, when we went, and it was January, which is what I wanted for the weather.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
You can set an going search to only match the size units that you want. You just have to agree that you will pay the up size fee based on what matches with the credit card on file.

I do not think you need to use a 2-bedroom to get a trade into Disney. A good 1-bedroom deposit with high trade power is enough. Getting Disney is more about what they deposit than actual trade power. 98% of the Disney inventory in Interval is SSR & OKW. With AKL the next more likely I would say.

Crystal Shores is a very tough trade. One of the rarest Marriott resorts to see in Interval- but not impossible, particularity in Summer & Fall. You will definitely want to enter an OGS for this one.

SSR, AKL and OKW are fine.
I didn’t expect to get the others but if they came through great. I have DVC points for the others. I just want a 2 bedroom anywhere on site. Actually prefer OKW or AKL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
I have a Platinum 2BR Ocean Pointe that I lock off and trade using an OGS for each most years for the past twenty. I almost always trade each for a 2BR unit. That being said, I have tried for Crystal Shores since it opened. The only way I have successfully traded into Crystal Shores was with my MIL's 3 BR Marriott Hilton Head unit for an August 2BR. I would not count on a 1BR trade into Crystal Shores.

Thanks.
I was thinking to set up the search for oceana palms and Crystal shores and hope to get lucky but I know that most likely it will be the palms which is fine.
I own HGVC so can stay on Marco island with the club points.
We are here this week next to the Marriott hotel.
d23ae604495e45a4f6507a3d3e4eb270.jpg

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
Are you able to plan within a 2 month period? If so My Studio and 1BR Grand Chateau can both see 2 BRs within the 2 period time in summer. if planned further out I see Studio and 1 BR(sometimes) with the studio. my 1BR i havent really looked and as of now i dont see anything past 2 months. - Referring to DVC

Yes I can easily plan last minute.
We live in Miami.
But we do like to plan several trips to Disney so we usually do one big trip for a week and several 4-5 day long weekend trips.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
SSR, AKL and OKW are fine.
I didn’t expect to get the others but if they came through great. I have DVC points for the others. I just want a 2 bedroom anywhere on site. Actually prefer OKW or AKL.

Last evening I saw 2BRs at DVC OKW, SSR for August Sept using 1 BR Willow Ridge TDI 150 Plat .
I think especially with an ongoing search you should be fine.

edit: also see with studio

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
I have Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves, platinum season, 2 bedroom lockoff. It's like Lakeshore Reserve because it has the big one bedroom and the lockoff side is actually pretty big and not just a small studio. That unit trades extremely well, both sides of the lockoff.

We haven't stayed at Crystal Shores lately. I don't know which resort I used to trade into Crystal Shores, but I am sure it had to be Willow Ridge because that is the only thing we owned in 2018, when we went, and it was January, which is what I wanted for the weather.

I wonder if it was easier to trade into back in 2018?

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it was easier to trade into back in 2018?

Here is the string about my trading experience into Crystal Shores in 2015. I have put it on almost every OGS I have set since then, with my Platinum Ocean Pointe weeks, just to see if it ever matches and it never has.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Crystal Shores is probably the hardest resort to trade into through II. Kaui Lagoons may be second. First, deposits are somewhat rare and when they do show up they require a good week. A 2BR will usually work but we have seen in the past where our Orlando 2BR wasn't enough. It usually takes a pretty good week. A 1BR won't cut it. There are certainly exceptions to every rule. We got an exchange into a Gulf Front unit, but that was back during COVID in 2021.

I don't really even understand all the hype about Crystal Shores, kinda overrated IMO.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crystal Shores is probably the hardest resort to trade into through II. Kaui Lagoons may be second. First, deposits are somewhat rare and when they do show up they require a good week. A 2BR will usually work but we have seen in the past where our Orlando 2BR wasn't enough. It usually takes a pretty good week. A 1BR won't cut it. There are certainly exceptions to every rule. We got an exchange into a Gulf Front unit, but that was back during COVID in 2021.

I don't really even understand all the hype about Crystal Shores, kinda overrated IMO.

I would add Waikoloa Ocean Club to your list of most difficult Marriott trades in Interval. I think the only time I have ever seen it was during Covid when it really wasn't possible to travel there.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Yes I can easily plan last minute.
We live in Miami.
But we do like to plan several trips to Disney so we usually do one big trip for a week and several 4-5 day long weekend trips.

Nice! DVC show up last minute alot and its probably best during hurricane season. I am probably just scarred of having a trip cancelled due to the one. Probably a normal thing for Floridians though. Anyway as mentioned if i could upgrade my 2BR to a 3BR I probably would just so i have more trading power for the future. but right now I am content with my 2BR getting some decent things.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would add Waikoloa Ocean Club to your list of most difficult Marriott trades in Interval. I think the only time I have ever seen it was during Covid when it really wasn't possible to travel there.
Yeah, I guess there are a few more. Some others may be Costa Rica, the Bali properties and even Surfers Paradise.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
Last evening I saw 2BRs at DVC OKW, SSR for August Sept using 1 BR Willow Ridge TDI 150 Plat .
I think especially with an ongoing search you should be fine.

edit: also see with studio

Thanks for sharing.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV

I don’t think it’s so much the resort as it is being on Marco Island.
Anywhere on Marco will do but as far as timeshare it’s only Hilton, Marriott and Holiday Inn which is not on the beach.
For us southern Floridians Marco is one of our go to beaches just 2 hours from Miami.
The beach water is warmer and calmer than the Atlantic so easier for some of us retirees to get in and out of.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
Nice! DVC show up last minute alot and its probably best during hurricane season. I am probably just scarred of having a trip cancelled due to the one. Probably a normal thing for Floridians though. Anyway as mentioned if i could upgrade my 2BR to a 3BR I probably would just so i have more trading power for the future. but right now I am content with my 2BR getting some decent things.

Yeah that’s a pain but I have been stuck at Disney during a hurricane and it wasn’t a big deal.
They are far enough inland that it’s just a lot of rain and hail.
Once it passes just wait for the flooding to recede and things get back to normal quickly.
We didn’t lose power and had a refrigerator full so no problem there.
Just lost two park days.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
Here is the string about my trading experience into Crystal Shores in 2015. I have put it on almost every OGS I have set since then, with my Platinum Ocean Pointe weeks, just to see if it ever matches and it never has.

Interesting.
Thanks for sharing

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV

I might go back to Hawaii one more time but it would probably just be to Ko Olina and hopefully that would be doable if not I can do Aulanai with my DVC and HGVC at Hilton village

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany
RCI Pts VV Parkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Marriott GV
Yeah, I guess there are a few more. Some others may be Costa Rica, the Bali properties and even Surfers Paradise.

Unfortunately I think my flying far away days are over.