• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lock-off Question

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I make a reservation for the full 2 bedroom unit and then within the 24 hour "free" change period call a VOA and lock it off? I plan on keeping the dates the same for both halves.

Thanks!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I make a reservation for the full 2 bedroom unit and then within the 24 hour "free" change period call a VOA and lock it off? I plan on keeping the dates the same for both halves.

Thanks!

You actually can lock it off anytime you want. You have to pay $80 to lock it off unless you belong to the Destinations program (then it is free).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
TimeTraveler is correct. Simply locking off is not considered a change in reservation, thus not subject to the $35 reservation change fee.

Be aware however, if you are booking a popular week at a resort that isn't 100% lock offs, you may not be able to call back and lock out keeping the same dates. Lock offs at resorts without 100% lockoff units are reserved on a first come first served basis.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
TimeTraveler is correct. Simply locking off is not considered a change in reservation, thus not subject to the $35 reservation change fee.

Be aware however, if you are booking a popular week at a resort that isn't 100% lock offs, you may not be able to call back and lock out keeping the same dates. Lock offs at resorts without 100% lockoff units are reserved on a first come first served basis.

I pretty much knew if I locked off within 24 hours of making the reservation I wouldn't pay the change fee, but are you saying I can lock off more than 24 hours later and still not pay a change fee (as long as I keep the same dates)?

There are a few non-lock offs at my resort, but most are lock offs and that's what I own. Wouldn't they have to give me the type of unit that is described in my deed?

I'm planning my strategy for next month's release dates. :)

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many resorts allow non-deeded lock-offs to lock off, so yes you could find yourself without the ability to lock-off your unit for the date that you chose.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I pretty much knew if I locked off within 24 hours of making the reservation I wouldn't pay the change fee, but are you saying I can lock off more than 24 hours later and still not pay a change fee (as long as I keep the same dates)?

There are a few non-lock offs at my resort, but most are lock offs and that's what I own. Wouldn't they have to give me the type of unit that is described in my deed?

I'm planning my strategy for next month's release dates. :)

You should be able to lock off at any time in the future only paying the $80 lock off fee. When you reserve the 2BR ask for the "Full Villa with Lock Off" instead of just "Full Villa". This should assure that you can lock off down the road even if there are no 1BR and studios available to book.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many resorts allow non-deeded lock-offs to lock off, so yes you could find yourself without the ability to lock-off your unit for the date that you chose.

Thanks for the info. Let's hope that doesn't happen. :)

You should be able to lock off at any time in the future only paying the $80 lock off fee. When you reserve the 2BR ask for the "Full Villa with Lock Off" instead of just "Full Villa". This should assure that you can lock off down the road even if there are no 1BR and studios available to book.

If things work out like last year, I'll be making the reservation online (I'm hoping my fingers are agile enough to dial the phone number and point and click at the same time just in case!). Unfortunately, the online choices are Full Villa, Master Suite, or Deluxe Lock off. Assuming I do this online, I'm hoping to save some time by reserving the full unit at 9am and locking off later rather than trying to reserve each side separately and having the system get bogged down and not get what I need.

My thanks to all for your responses!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Thanks for the info. Let's hope that doesn't happen. :)

If things work out like last year, I'll be making the reservation online (I'm hoping my fingers are agile enough to dial the phone number and point and click at the same time just in case!). Unfortunately, the online choices are Full Villa, Master Suite, or Deluxe Lock off. Assuming I do this online, I'm hoping to save some time by reserving the full unit at 9am and locking off later rather than trying to reserve each side separately and having the system get bogged down and not get what I need.

My thanks to all for your responses!

What resort are you trying to reserve and for what time of year? Only a few resorts and seasons have such a strong 12-month demand that you may have a problem reserving both halves separately at 9 a.m. a year ahead.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
What resort are you trying to reserve and for what time of year? Only a few resorts and seasons have such a strong 12-month demand that you may have a problem reserving both halves separately at 9 a.m. a year ahead.

I'm trying to book the most popular weeks at Shadow Ridge Enclaves. There are a limited number of my type of unit. For some unknown reason this year and last year I have been unsuccessful booking 13 months out. No availability, so I have to take my chances at 12 months out. I'm more concerned about the web site messing up at 9am. I figure if all I have to do is click for the full unit, I'll be in and out in a jiffy. If I have to spend the time making two separate reservations plus entering credit card info for the lock off, there's a better chance of getting hung up because the web site is overwhelmed.

Hopefully I can call and do it online. If the web site crashes and I get through on the phone, I'll just lock off at that time.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frustrated!

:mad:

I was on-line and on the phone at 9 am and refreshed my screen exactly at 9 am. It came up at 9:00:02 with no green boxes at all for the entire weekend and kept coming up that way on every refresh! By the time I got through on the phone, she confirmed nothing available. This is very frustrating. My first few years of ownership, it was easy to make reservations at this time of year. Last year and this year, not so easy. :annoyed:

Thanks for letting me rant!

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Slightly off topic:

If you purchased a Lock-Off unit through Marriott, you still have to pay an $80 lock-off fee?

Yep. It's your choice to lock it off or not and thus incur the fee if you do.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
:mad:

I was on-line and on the phone at 9 am and refreshed my screen exactly at 9 am. It came up at 9:00:02 with no green boxes at all for the entire weekend and kept coming up that way on every refresh! By the time I got through on the phone, she confirmed nothing available. This is very frustrating. My first few years of ownership, it was easy to make reservations at this time of year. Last year and this year, not so easy. :annoyed:

Thanks for letting me rant!

I have found in the past that availability does not always show up dead on at 9am. Last year for my lockofff unit it was several hours past the 9 am point that the green boxes started to appear in the online system. When I called, the agent just said that there was no availability.

I knew there was something wrong since this was for low season in November in Spain. Availability to lock off appeared about 3 hours after the 9 am deadline.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Newbie Lock-Off Questions

If I already reserved a 2-BR L/O week with Marriott for later this year, but DID NOT lock-it-off, and already deposited that 2-BR week in II, can I still call Marriott and lock-it-off, or is it to late once it's deposited into II?

If I Can still lock-it-off:

1. How much would the Marriott change cost be: $80 total or is there a change fee and a lock-off fee? Would I have 2 reservation numbers, since I would have 2 rooms for either the same week for different weeks?
2. Would there be any II change cost? Can the II deposited week even be changed?
3. I am assuming that if I lock-off (either 2012 or 2013), I would not only have the flexibility of using either the studio or 1-BR for an exchange, but I could still use the full 2-BR for an exchange if need be? What if there are 2 reservation numbers, is there a master reservation number that you use for the 2-BR?

If I can't change my 2012 week, I will lock-off my 2013 week and keep your suggestions in mind.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with a related question.

Thanks, Ron

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Ron-

You have to lock off before depositing. Once the unit is locked off with Marriott, it can be used as a 2BR (assuming that the same week was reserved) BUT once it is deposited into II as separate units you cannot recombine them. Once you lock off you are given separate reservation numbers.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Ron-

1) You have to lock off before depositing. Once the unit is locked off with Marriott, it can be used as a 2BR (assuming that the same week was reserved) 2) BUT once it is deposited into II as separate units you cannot recombine them. Once you lock off you are given separate reservation numbers.

Thanks,

1) That's what i thought, unfortunetly.

2) I'll keep this in mind when I reserve my 2013 week.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found in the past that availability does not always show up dead on at 9am. Last year for my lockofff unit it was several hours past the 9 am point that the green boxes started to appear in the online system. When I called, the agent just said that there was no availability.

I knew there was something wrong since this was for low season in November in Spain. Availability to lock off appeared about 3 hours after the 9 am deadline.

I was hoping that's what happened, so I kept checking every half hour throughout the day. No luck. Fortunately I decided to keep checking today, although not as often. I checked this morning; nothing. I just checked again a few minutes ago and bingo! No full villas, but a master suite and a lockoff available on 2 out of 3 days (I still don't get why they can have the 2 sides available for the same day but not have any full villas :shrug: ). I had to go find my credit card and was hoping the units didn't get snapped up. I got both units. I checked availability again and the day I reserved was no longer available. For once I had good timing!

We'll see what happens next week. ;)

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
the online choices are Full Villa, Master Suite, or Deluxe Lock off. Assuming I do this online, I'm hoping to save some time by reserving the full unit at 9am and locking off later rather

I ran into a problem this week. I reserved the full 2 bedroom suite at Desert Springs Villas on line and waited for the rep to come to the phone so I could split the reservation into the 1BR and lock out. She told me I couldn't, that the 1BR was not available that week. No matter how many times I tried to explain I ALREADY had the 2 sides, all I needed was for her to split them, she continued to say the 1BR was not available. I am still too new to have asked for a supervisor and succumbed. (see my thread under: "Frustrated trying to reserve my week yesterday morning")

Jeff

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today's attempt at making a reservation was much better than last week's attempt. No web site problems and all 3 days showed availability for a full villa right at 9:00:03. I was a bit surprised because of what happened last week (no availability for anything at 9:00:03), but I managed to click on through and make the reservation.

I ran into a problem this week. I reserved the full 2 bedroom suite at Desert Springs Villas on line and waited for the rep to come to the phone so I could split the reservation into the 1BR and lock out. She told me I couldn't, that the 1BR was not available that week. No matter how many times I tried to explain I ALREADY had the 2 sides, all I needed was for her to split them, she continued to say the 1BR was not available. I am still too new to have asked for a supervisor and succumbed. (see my thread under: "Frustrated trying to reserve my week yesterday morning")

Jeff

Right now I want to keep the full 2 bedroom to see if I'll need it to pull an exchange for next January. If I can get the exchange using one of my other 1 bedroom reservations, I'll lock it off for rental purposes. Good to know a supervisor can do it.