• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Another Weight Watcher lifetime member here. LOL....love the “why”.....I too don’t want to pay the $44/mo, but it has been a struggle to stay within my goal weight. 137 is my official goal, but the 2 lbs. leeway is where I’m at and have been for months. I’m not comfortable at this weight and my goal is to lose 6 more lbs. by my next Disney trip in May.
@Panina , I was at my heaviest and depressed while caring for my difficult mom too. It was rough. But finally realized I was damaging myself and got back on the Weight Watchers wagon.
An excellent book to go hand in hand with WW (although I’m never allowed to discuss it at meetings) is The Beck Diet Solution. It’s not a diet, more of a guide to use with your chosen weight loss program. You read a chapter a day.....it has more to do with the reasons why you eat/drink too much, attitudes, and good tips. One of the things that I still practice is to eat your meals mindfully. Enjoy it.....don’t rush through it. Another book that was helpful was 100 days of weight loss. Unfortunately the kindle I had it downloaded on will no longer power up. But I did download and print days of worksheets.
My husband and I always cook. No prepackaged or frozen stuff (except ravioli and periogies). I have to have protein for breakfast, so always eggs and some fruit. As a rule I stay away from bread. Lunch is tuna (water packed and made with Hellman’s lite mayo which isn’t too bad), or egg salad over greens and lite ranch. Or sliced grilled chicken. Dinner is whatever ... nothing is off limits, but portion control is a must. I try and use brown rice instead of white and whole grain pasta instead of regular. My afternoon snack is tea and a snack size Milky Way bar. Evening snack is frozen edamame soy pods steamed with sea salt on top. Or pretzel nubs with dip made with PB fit. PB fit is a powder form of peanut butter....the fat has been extracted and you add water to reconstitute. I don’t think you can made a sandwich with it, but people like to use it for cooking and for adding to protein shakes. I get a big canister at BJs.
I’m a big fan of skinny taste.com also. All of her recipes show the new WW points too.
My only form of exercise is walking 3 miles 6 days a week and also using handheld weights during part of my walk. The weights have helped me not get bat wings on my arms. I googled to find what kind of arm exercises are good for older women. During the winter, I use the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone. I turn off the sound and listen to podcasts or books on tape. Once it is warmer in the mornings, I go to the local track and walk. I also signed up for a Zumba class two days a week for a few months. Yikes....it is quite the workout, but I enjoy it.
I’ve developed some weird food allergies as I got older. No artificial sweeteners for me. Also bananas make me sick to my stomach...I think it is the potassium. I also can’t drink certain brands of bottled water....anything that has magnesium in it.....it is quite surprising how many brands are not just spring water.
Someone asked about how Weight Watchers is now. It’s a lot different than it used to be. More emphasis on healthy foods and healthy mind. All of their prepackaged food has removed all artificial flavors. I never buy the stuff, but lots of people at my meetings do.
And a must have for me, a digital food scale that is always on my countertop. And measuring spoons....I always measure my salad dressing. And I’m a big label reader....low fat usually means high sugar....and low in sugar usually means high in fat.
Sorry so wordy. Have a nice evening.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For the last three years we have been very aware of what I eat. This was brought on by some serious health issues. I had to change my diet and exercise routine. I started to do more walking at a fast pace and will do 3.5 to 4 miles in an hour. I no longer lift weights like I did. I do lift reps of maybe 60 pounds. No power lifting. Mostly treadmill where I can monitor my pulse.

I quit meat, dairy, bread, sugar, booze, most processed foods and started a new for me vegetarian diet that morphed into a pescatarian diet. I slowly added chicken breast after a couple of years. I start each day with black coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. I use to dislike oatmeal but now I really like it. When I first started eating oatmeal I had to use cinnamon, stevia or fruit to make it interesting enough to eat. Now days plain is fine. I really like vegetables and fish so it wasn't difficult to stay the course with the foods. I eventually started eating a steak now and then but it is only to be polite. After not eating meat for so long it seems to tastes odd.

Recently I started eating tortilla chips, salsa and guacamole while we were in Mexico. I put on about 8 pounds. Not good. I guess its back to being aware of what I'm eating again.

Good luck losing weight and keeping it off.

Bill

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always believed there are people who process food differently than I do. It's nice when they appreciate they have a gift, rather than being critical of others who struggle.

On a podcast I heard that some people’s guts extract more nutrients than others which causes some to gain more weight than others from identical foods.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Realized my body can’t handle too much oatmeal. I love my blueberry banana oatmeal muffins but I am bloating and have discomfort from them. Will need to experiment with another base to take the place of the oatmeal. Thinking cornmeal which I know I do ok with.

Gloomy rainy day today here. Wanted to stay in bed but forced myself to go to my weight watchers meeting. Happy with my 1.7 pound weight loss.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the ability to follow through and don't mind apps, I will post what I did that worked for me. It was actually very easy for me to do, but we are all different of course so that may mean nothing to anyone else. I lost about 60 pounds and have stayed that way for a few years now. So, no more interest in losing more weight. After that loss, I lost more due to surgery but that has come back over time (and I wanted it to).

I simply used the app MyFitnessPal, and, for 3 years now, have entered everything I eat, snack, etc. every time for 3 years, on every day. It's an efficient and easy calorie counter. Over the course of any week, I make sure my calories are in line with what I want. Which for me is 2,400/day to maintain weight. While calorie counting is of course not exactly new, MyFitnessPal makes it so much easier, scanning labels, knowing about most restaurants, etc. Just as important, I get to monitor many things other than calories, like vitamins, cholesterol, protein, fasts, etc. That has helped me immensely on my journey to eat healthier, and in fact, my bloodwork has greatly improved to no alarms now. After a few months of this, I was already losing weight (easily really) and was already used to what not to eat much of, etc. After a year, it was easy. After I reached my goal weight, I kept losing, and ended up 8 pounds below before I decided (obvious) to increase daily calories, and this did it. I have finally settled on the ideal number for me. Pretty routine now.

The basic thing that was killing me before I started was 1-2 litres of non diet soda per day. Right there was almost all of the weight. When you see it though (in the app) it was totally different than just knowing it.

Last edited:

nomoretslt

Reaction score
@Panina good for you for going to your meeting when you didn’t feel like it and congrats on the loss. I like that you are doing as much food/meal prep for a few days. That is something that always comes up at my meetings. Being organized, having better choices ready, planning out your weeks menu. Seems everyone falls apart when they are rushed and reach for the junk.
I’m a daily weigher (not recommended for most people). I’m a few days ahead of my at home goal of 137.5. I made a big pot of Italian minestrone soup and added some chicken breast that I had previously roasted. 0 points (I’m on the purple plan).
@Steve Fatula ... is that app free? I’ve heard good things about it. I didn’t know it had a barcode scanner. I love my Weight Watchers app, mostly for the barcode scanner.
I was also able to sync my iPhone health app to transfer my steps over to the WW app. I just can’t see spending more money on a Fitbit. I had one and it became obsolete.
What’s for dinner? Chicken fricassee, points because it’s thighs, steamed small white potatoes, Birdseye steam fresh mixed vegetables. And Zumba tonight.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does have a barcode scanner, and yes, I use the free version as I don't care about meal plans or whatever the paid version offers. And yes, it syncs your steps and tracks those as well, along with the ability to enter workouts, etc (other than steps). Some activities, esp at the gym, add calories back for you to eat of course, or, lose more weight. I got over a thousand the day we climbed part of a mountain in Palm Desert a few weeks back.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Realized my body can’t handle too much oatmeal. I love my blueberry banana oatmeal muffins but I am bloating and have discomfort from them. Will need to experiment with another base to take the place of the oatmeal. Thinking cornmeal which I know I do ok with.

Gloomy rainy day today here. Wanted to stay in bed but forced myself to go to my weight watchers meeting. Happy with my 1.7 pound weight loss.

I have not tried millet yet but Dr. Hyman uses it in his recipes. I saw Bob's Red Mill millet at the store today.

He doesn't mention it here in this segment but you can find other links where he does. I have both of his "What the Heck" books. You can probably find them at the library. That's where I found his "Eat Fat, Get Thin" book as well as a synopsis of it on Hoopla.

I went by a WW storefront today but it wasn't open. It was right by the Publix I went to. I wanted to get the current literature. Rainy here in NC too.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not tried millet yet but Dr. Hyman uses it in his recipes. I saw Bob's Red Mill millet at the store today.

He doesn't mention it here in this segment but you can find other links where he does. I have both of his "What the Heck" books. You can probably find them at the library. That's where I found his "Eat Fat, Get Thin" book as well as a synopsis of it on Hoopla.

I went by a WW storefront today but it wasn't open. It was right by the Publix I went to. I wanted to get the current literature. Rainy here in NC too.
Millet might work too. I like millet.

WW is so much better now then it was before, at least for me. The purple plan works for me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight I made chicken vegetable soup, aka put everything I have in the fridge into making the soup. Started with bacon and onion. Added chicken stock, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, edamame, snow peas, napa cabbage, brussel sprouts and chicken. Seasoned with black pepper, a little salt, dried red pepper flakes and fried onion. I ate with a little rice. It was good, not great and next time I will skip the mushrooms and think about how to make the soup brighter.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight I made chicken vegetable soup, aka put everything I have in the fridge into making the soup. Started with bacon and onion. Added chicken stock, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, edamame, snow peas, napa cabbage, brussel sprouts and chicken. Seasoned with black pepper, a little salt, dried red pepper flakes and fried onion. I ate with a little rice. It was good, not great and next time I will skip the mushrooms and think about how to make the soup brighter.

I didn’t know until recently that cooking rice and cooling it and then using it creates a resistant starch. This feeds good gut buddies. Also rinse rice till water is clear(ish) before cooking. https://www.bulletproof.com/recipes/low-carb/low-carb-carbs-hack-your-rice-with-coconut-oil-recipe/

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know until recently that cooking rice and cooling it and then using it creates a resistant starch. This feeds good gut buddies. Also rinse rice till water is clear(ish) before cooking. https://www.bulletproof.com/recipes/low-carb/low-carb-carbs-hack-your-rice-with-coconut-oil-recipe/
I have never heard of it. Thanks for the article. I buy pre-cooked brown rice from Costco, 6 bowls in a packet. I normally eat 1/3rd bowl when I have it, as like this evening with my chicken vegetable soup.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
How one man lost 150 pounds at Disneyland…

At 400 pounds, Gautier had slipped into diabetic shock and his kidneys were shutting down after years of failing health. The doctor’s diagnosis: Gautier needed to exercise and lose weight.

Gautier lost 150 pounds on a Disneyland Diet that included walking several miles a day while eating whatever he wanted at the Anaheim theme park — from turkey legs to corn dogs to nachos. The key to his food intake: Portion control.

I’d like to know the rest of this story. He could be down 150 lbs. but how are his blood tests? He’s still 250 according to the math. With the low quality food he can be 250 and still be malnourished. Yes, you can lose weight by cutting calories but if you’re really going for health you need to consider the quality of the food.

I just listened to this podcast again. It’s worth the hour: https://drhyman.com/blog/2019/11/27/podcast-ep82/

They’re discussing the wellness center in Massachusetts but since this podcast was made Dr. Hyman was asked to head the Functiional Medicine program at the Cleveland Clinic.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
There are many new medications coming for obesity which is great, considering like type 2 diabetes it is a disease.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let’s talk something fun like finding new foods that are also good for us....instead of the stinky virus.

These taco shells are YUM! https://sietefoods.com/products/taco-shell

They are delicate so they don’t tear up your mouth. DIdn’t like hard shells but loves these.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let’s talk something fun like finding new foods that are also good for us....instead of the stinky virus.

These taco shells are YUM! https://sietefoods.com/products/taco-shell

They are delicate so they don’t tear up your mouth. DIdn’t like hard shells but loves these.

Great idea to share food products.

Never had them. I have to look for them as they are gluten free and I can have them.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For dark chocolate lovers, satisfying, 60 calories or 3 WW points.

Living Raw darkest cacoa truffle

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

KeyWestSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banyan Resort - Key West, FL
I lost weight on Weight Watchers back in the early 90s and kept it off until my divorce in 2010. Once divorced, I started going out and enjoying life and gained a few pounds here and a few pounds there, until they added up to 15 pounds. I started back to Weight Watchers on January 9th and I have recorded a loss every week, for a total of 10 pounds. Today is my weigh in day and I expect to be down an additional 0.5 to 1 pounds, based on my home scale this morning. I love the Weight Watcher program, as it teaches you how to eat properly and allows you to eat everything. I am firm believer that any diet that won't allow you to eat certain things will backfire on you eventually. If you don't allow me to eat cookies, cake, or brownies, once I get that first taste, it's all over! There goes the entire pan. Weight Watchers has taught me portion control and willpower. I'm looking forward to taking off the next 5 pounds and being comfortable in my clothes one again! BTW, I'm 54 years old and losing this time around has been more difficult, but it can be done, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise! When I mentioned how hard it was to take off this weight, my doctor told me, you at that age, to which I replied, "I will NOT be fat AND old!"

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I lost weight on Weight Watchers back in the early 90s and kept it off until my divorce in 2010. Once divorced, I started going out and enjoying life and gained a few pounds here and a few pounds there, until they added up to 15 pounds. I started back to Weight Watchers on January 9th and I have recorded a loss every week, for a total of 10 pounds. Today is my weigh in day and I expect to be down an additional 0.5 to 1 pounds, based on my home scale this morning. I love the Weight Watcher program, as it teaches you how to eat properly and allows you to eat everything. I am firm believer that any diet that won't allow you to eat certain things will backfire on you eventually. If you don't allow me to eat cookies, cake, or brownies, once I get that first taste, it's all over! There goes the entire pan. Weight Watchers has taught me portion control and willpower. I'm looking forward to taking off the next 5 pounds and being comfortable in my clothes one again! BTW, I'm 54 years old and losing this time around has been more difficult, but it can be done, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise! When I mentioned how hard it was to take off this weight, my doctor told me, you at that age, to which I replied, "I will NOT be fat AND old!"
You have done so well in such a short time. Congratulations. I find WW is working for me the same reasons you stated. On my third week and so far it has been easy going.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was an overweight kid because my parents fed me poorly but luckily I was very athletic so my weight never got too bad. I was a college athlete until a knee injury eliminated the high intensity workouts. I always maintained a good workout schedule and still workout 4-5 X a week and have since college but diet was not great so I did gradually gain more and more until last year I tipped the scales at 265, close to 50 pounds over my ideal weight I believe. I knew I had to finally change my diet and the way I was eating. After the Super Bowl I started. Read about intermittent fasting and it seem to make alot of sense so started fasting for at least 15 hours after last meal of the night. Also introduced salmon into my diet and stopped eating refined sugar and consuming alcohol every day except Friday and Saturday and special occasions. My go to cheat dessert is now sugar-free jello and puddings. Since Feb 2019 I've lost 40lbs and feel really healthy.

So here are a few simple things I did to lose and I think many could incorporate to lose the weight i lost.

1. Intermittent fasting for at least 15 hours
  2. workout 4 days a week including weight resistance
  3. a 5 good day 2 cheat day model no refined sugar or alcohol( do 6 and 1 at first I recommend)
  4. Make sugar free jello and puddings your friend.
  5. No more than one bread or potato per day preferably not for dinner.
  6. Oikos Triple 0 Yogurt that has virtually no carbs and I think is very tasty
Now my main priority in life is to focus on my health. I have a lot to feel blessed about and to look forward to and I refuse to allow my quality of life to go down because I'm not active and have a little discipline to eat better.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I am actually eating oatmeal -- and just read his statement that it isn't good for you. Oh my.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am actually eating oatmeal -- and just read his statement that it isn't good for you. Oh my.
Oatmeal is very high in carb and I eat it occasionally as a treat, as is whole wheat. whole grain... fill in the blanks. High carb food is everyone's enemy. Agave, honey and maple syrup is no different from eating sugar. The body turns all carbs into sugar. Sugar is sugar to the body.

Whole xxx is better than non whole xxx, because it has some additional fiber. But you need to net out the fiber to see the total carbs, which are all still very high numbers.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did you see why he doesn't like it as a main breakfast meal? It's because it spikes blood sugar. Now according to the study from Weismann Institute blood sugar may spike with a certain food with some people and not with others. Sometimes you can feel it, sometimes not. I recently bought a blood sugar monitoring kit and would give it a try after oatmeal. When I eat oatmeal for breakfast I'm starving before lunch.

When you spike your blood sugar in the morning you set yourself up for hunger all day.

I wanted to see what others said about oatmeal so I googled Bulletproof. Nothing about oatmeal but I did find this alternative recipe for morning oatmeal. https://www.bulletproof.com/recipes/paleo/pumpkin-oatmeal-paleo-whole30-2b3c/