• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Length of Resale Process

Andy08

Reaction score
If I purchase an HGVC property through a resale, how long does the process take?

Bill4728

Reaction score
One -11 months.

No seriously, It can vary widely because the closing company can vary widely. Best guess, 2-3 months would be average.

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
The process is generally much "cleaner"/faster if you purchase from a broker that uses HGVC to do the closing. Such a broker would be Seth Nock and Judi Kozlowski who both post resales on TUG.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI...

Seth also uses Duncan Realty which is less expensive and have been very good. I suspect he uses the HGVC closing company when he sells inventory in possesion of HGVC. Just a guess.

I've had a closing with both, and each went through just fine in about 60 days.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I purchased a unit from a relative and did the closing myself.
It took about 20 days to get a waiver of ROFR from Hilton, about 10 days after that to complete the process of recording documents and notifying HGVC. About 30 days after that, I rec'd my membership materials from HGVC. So, even being on top of it myself, from start to finish, to took about 60 days B4 I was in the system.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Let me know which one you got

Andy08:

There is no question that Mr. Nock and Ms. Kozlowski are very highly respected on many TUG threads. Please let me know which location you purchased and how the right of first refusal went. Any future TS purchases I make will be resale. Good Luck.

Andy08

Reaction score
One More...

One more question...

once you go through closing (60 days average) and get in the system, when can you book your first reservation? I assume that maintenance fees must be paid in full for the year you wish to book for before you can make a reservation..

Andy08

Reaction score
And oh yeah...

Say I purchase 7k points resale... that's enough for a 2bd/2bath for one week. If Hubby and I want to travel without the kids we'd need a studio or 1 bedroom. How do I purchase only the additional points I need via resale without having another set of maintenance fees? Or is that unavoidable?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One more question...

once you go through closing (60 days average) and get in the system, when can you book your first reservation? I assume that maintenance fees must be paid in full for the year you wish to book for before you can make a reservation..
After the closing and you get in the system, you will be up-to-date with your maintenance fees. You will be able to make a reservation immediately. You do not need to pre-pay maintenance fees to use a future year's points in HGVC -- you only need to pay your maintenance fees by the due date (Jan 31?) of each year.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Say I purchase 7k points resale... that's enough for a 2bd/2bath for one week. If Hubby and I want to travel without the kids we'd need a studio or 1 bedroom. How do I purchase only the additional points I need via resale without having another set of maintenance fees? Or is that unavoidable?
Not sure what you are asking here... The only way you would have "another set of maintenance fees" is if you owned another property. If you have 7000 points, you can use those however you wish -- you don't need to reserve what you "own".

Using your example, you could reserve a studio in Platinum season for 2200 points, and then use the remaining 4800 points for a 1BR in Platinum season. Or you can roll the points ahead to next year. Or you could combine the leftover points with points from next year and make a 2 or 3 BR reservation. In HGVC, points are points -- use them however you want.

Kurt

Shamrock

TUG Member
Reaction score

7000 pts will get you into a studio for 3 weeks platinium season with 400 pts left over, or a 1bed for 2 weeks with 200 pts left over, as previously stated you can use your pts. which ever way you like, you don't have to use them all up at once on a 2bed, pts. vary on seasons so you may get even more tme if booking off season or mixture high and low seasons.

Bearbacker

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I interpreted Andy08's question to be that she wants to use the 2 BR for one week with kids (which would use all 7,000 points in platinum season), and also be able to take a trip in the same year with no kids (which would require additional points). In order to be able to do that each year, you obviously need more than 7,000 points each year, so if you own an interest with 7,000 annual points, you would have to purchase an additional interest. Each interest has its own maintenance fees, so if you own 2 interests, you will have 2 maintenance fees. If, instead, you purchase a single interest with more points, then you will have only 1 maintenance fee each year.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know what kind of money you're wanting to spend. However, if your main goal is to have enough points for the two vacations but only have one MF than buy a unit with enough points.

For a typical platinum 2bdrm (7000) and studio (2200) you would need 9200 points. A 2bdrm ocean-front unit at HHV is 9600. Additionally, some of the newest HGVC timeshares have higher point values that would give you the points you need.

But I would crunch the numbers. You may come out better purchasing 2 units & having 2 mf (depending on the combination) than purchasing 1 premium unit. Managing 2 or more unit with 2 or more mf is no more hassel than managing only 1. I would go with whichever is a better value overall (purchase price + 10 or 20 years of mf for example.)

I realize I may have misunderstood.

Are you wanting to take two vacations every year: 1) with kids, 2) husband only or 1) definitely with kids and 2) maybe or maybe not you and your husband will go somewhere without the kids.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Please note that if you are a member in good standing you and borrow next years points without prepaying your next years MFs. In good standing means you are up to date on all fees and dues. This is provided you own at an HGVC specific build resort.

HOWEVER, if purchased an affiliate this is not always the case. For instance the Bay Club requires prepayment of MFs before you have access to the points. So you can borrow next year points, but you must prepay MF for next year. You basically prepay at the current years rates, and then you must top up and pay the increased in the current years rates when they are known. Other Affilates may have the same restrictions.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
HOWEVER, if purchased an affiliate this is not always the case. For instance the Bay Club requires prepayment of MFs before you have access to the points. So you can borrow next year points, but you must prepay MF for next year. You basically prepay at the current years rates, and then you must top up and pay the increased in the current years rates when they are known. Other Affilates may have the same restrictions.

This is an important point about affiliates, and little understood. I wish it had been documented before I bought at Craigendarroch, which is an affiliate. In the case of Craigendarroch, they have no procedure for paying the MF in advance. So you normally can't get the points until the use year. E.g., right now, I have no access to my 2009 points. By the time 1/1/2009 rolls around, it will be awfully late to book something.

As I've noted on another thread, I can usually get access to those points by calling HGVC and talking to a supervisor. It always gets escalated to a supervisor to do this, though the agents are always very nice about it. It's just kind of a pain to do this every year, though. That's why I tend to move my points forward every year, paying the $69 fee to do so. Right now, I'm working off 2008 points that were forwarded to 2009, in order to make reservations for use in 2009.

drnd

Reaction score
Can someone clear this up for me. Let say you have 5000 points gold season at a resort. Can you reserve say a studio at 2200 points in platinum season or can you only reserve in gold season?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Can someone clear this up for me. Let say you have 5000 points gold season at a resort. Can you reserve say a studio at 2200 points in platinum season or can you only reserve in gold season?

Once you're in the "Club" season ( 9 months before checkin), as long as you have enough points, you can use your points to reserve any room, at any resort, in any season that is available with a 3 day minumum stay.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Points are points, so yes -- you can reserve any size in any season, as long as you have enough points available. With banking and borrowing, you can reserve a unit that "costs" more points that what you own, or for more than 7 days.

Kurt

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option for "extra couples-only vacations" would be to use HGVC's fantastic open season - just pay cash for any additional vacations you want to take, making the reservation 30 days before check-out.

This may not work for high-capacity times, but in general this is very good for Orlando and Las Vegas and some points-based affiliates (like CI).

drnd

Reaction score
Ok, so if I buy 5800 pt's resale at Hilton HHV and I also buy say 5000 pt's at seaworld with a combine pt of 10,800. Can I reserve 9-12 months out in Hawaii and reserve a room for 9600 pt's for the platinum season?

thanks, Nick.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I buy 5800 pt's resale at Hilton HHV and I also buy say 5000 pt's at seaworld with a combine pt of 10,800. Can I reserve 9-12 months out in Hawaii and reserve a room for 9600 pt's for the platinum season?

I may not be clear on your question, but say you buy 5800 HHV & 5000 Seaworld. Total points = 10,800.

If you excercise your home resort at HHV (9-12 months out) you have then used your 5800 points for that resort. This only leaves you the 5000 points from Seaworld...so you are short 4600 points if you want to take that 9600 stay the same year.

HOWEVER, you may borrow points from the future year. So if you wanted to take 4600 points from your total next year, you could book the 9600 point week in addition to the home resort week at HHV.

Of course that leaves you with less points the following year, but again the calendar rolls on and you can borrow ahead from future years as you go along. In fact, borrowing ahead is a strategy some use with HGVC to ensure that you don't end up with a surplus of unused points at the end of the year to either loose or "rescue" (salvage for a fee). Again, while a little complicated, it illustrates the flexibility of the HGVC system.

drnd

Reaction score
If I have the total 10,800 I can't reserve a 9600 room 9-12 months out at HHV? I'm only allow to use the 5800 to book something in HHV 9-12 months out?

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. During the "Home Resort" season (9-12 months), you must reserve exactly what you own. So if you own, for example, a 1 BR at HHV Lagoon Tower in gold season, then you can reserve a 1 BR HHV Lagoon Tower in gold season, up to 12 months in advance.

At 9 months (Club Season) you can reserve anything in inventory, any size, any season, as long as you have enough points.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I may not be clear on your question, but say you buy 5800 HHV & 5000 Seaworld. Total points = 10,800.

If you excercise your home resort at HHV (9-12 months out) you have then used your 5800 points for that resort. This only leaves you the 5000 points from Seaworld...so you are short 4600 points if you want to take that 9600 stay the same year.

HOWEVER, you may borrow points from the future year. So if you wanted to take 4600 points from your total next year, you could book the 9600 point week in addition to the home resort week at HHV.

Of course that leaves you with less points the following year, but again the calendar rolls on and you can borrow ahead from future years as you go along. In fact, borrowing ahead is a strategy some use with HGVC to ensure that you don't end up with a surplus of unused points at the end of the year to either loose or "rescue" (salvage for a fee). Again, while a little complicated, it illustrates the flexibility of the HGVC system.

ps: Perhaps you are asking if you buy the 10,800 points between the two weeks, can you combine them to book a 9600 point week within the home resort window? The answer to this is no. Home resort allow you to book up to 12 months out using the exact season and size unit you own at your home resort. If you want to combine your points for a platinum week stay, or take a different size unit or season than you own, you have to book that no more than 9 months out with the rest of the HGVC members.

(hehehe...I see this was answered above while I composed it.)

Last edited: