• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Legacy Owners - still worth it?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
For us, While I am happy enough with the existing HGV legacy foot print, I was hoping for more new resorts. I am uncertain if they will add more locations for non-max owners. I agree that if the new Waikiki location is only available Max, then its not promising for anything else to be added. We mostly use our HVC points for Hawaii, with some occasional usage in Vegas or other locations. We added MVC a few years back to give us access to more Hawaii islands, as well as Hilton Head and other locations.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wondered about that. Is it THAT much? Let's hear from both coasts. Would more West-Coasters go to HGVC Barbados or more East-Coasters go to HI. I know it isn't really a fair question given HGVC has 100x(?) more rooms in HI than in Barbados, but still ... anyone? Any East-Coasters gone to HGVC Barbados but can't imagine flying all the way to HI?
We'll let you know about Barbados...we have it penciled in for 2025. The problem is that the airfares are eye-watering even from NYC - it's cheaper (and sometimes a lot cheaper) to fly to Hawaii.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wondered about that. Is it THAT much? Let's hear from both coasts. Would more West-Coasters go to HGVC Barbados or more East-Coasters go to HI. I know it isn't really a fair question given HGVC has 100x(?) more rooms in HI than in Barbados, but still ... anyone?
any East-Coasters gone to HGVC Barbados but can't imagine flying all the way to HI?
I am sure that more people from the east coast go to Hawaii over Barbados, but that is probably due to factors unrelated to proximity. Barbados has a much smaller tourism industry than Hawaii. Probably close to 20x the size. Hawaii also doesn't require a passport for US residents. Thus making it more attractive as a destination. Barbados gets a lot of visitors from the UK due to easy direct flights.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Europe (London) is nonstop 6 hrs fromDC/NY. HHL is 11 1/2 hrs (nonstop United from DC). Due to distance, Hawaii is likely an every 5 year trip (now in retirement) and we'd use HGVC points to stay. We go to Europe much more frequently. HNL is usually cheaper either in miles or $ than Europe--go figure?
We did DC-Aruba (nonstop 4 hrs) once staying at a Marriott TS. For the cost of our TS annual fees, plus flights, and meals, we could go on a 7-10 day Carib. cruise (driving to FL port), which is what we now do. So, HGVC Barbados would lose to cruising for us. Hawaii still a sometimes yes. If Iived on the West Coast, I'd go EOY to Hawaii.

Last edited:

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Maui Bay Villas 1BR Plat 14.8k pts
I'll be honest, as a Legacy Max owner, I've stayed at only one property that is from the DRI/HVC/Max portion...and it was less than impressive. It was a good deal at 75% off though. I'll still probably use the legacy portfolio (or RCI) for most stays...

-Matt

Yzfguy06

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane, Borgo alle Vigne x2
I wondered about that. Is it THAT much? Let's hear from both coasts. Would more West-Coasters go to HGVC Barbados or more East-Coasters go to HI. I know it isn't really a fair question given HGVC has 100x(?) more rooms in HI than in Barbados, but still ... anyone?
any East-Coasters gone to HGVC Barbados but can't imagine flying all the way to HI?
I own in Barbados but i have never been. The flight out there from the California is between 12-14 hours. I can fly to any of Hawaii in about 5 hours. Depending on the timing and which island i can fly direct without a stop or change planes. Barbados is a stop and lay over in Charlotte, NYC, maybe Florida. I don't want to spend that much time in a plane.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
(Upstate NY here) Yes the flights to HI suck from the east, but I can book any number of days/places in HI, I couldn’t find any availability (on the app) at Barbados when I just looked. My impression also from reading the reviews of the Crane seems to be hit or miss of the accommodations, but I have no actual experience there to say.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 5.5h direct to BGI and 10h direct to HNL.

From a time perspective, BGI is much better.

BUT Barbados is a VERY different experience compared to Hawaii.

Barbados is going to a secluded island type of experience - much more underdeveloped.

Hawaii is still being the USA with all the accoutrements of the USA.

They aren't swaps for each other at all. The flight duration differential doesn't matter.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

MM9

Reaction score
(Upstate NY here) Yes the flights to HI suck from the east, but I can book any number of days/places in HI, I couldn’t find any availability (on the app) at Barbados when I just looked. My impression also from reading the reviews of the Crane seems to be hit or miss of the accommodations, but I have no actual experience there to say.
I used to live on the East Coast. The key to flying to Hawaii is either to fly into LAX the night before, sleep, and then take another 5-hour flight onward to HI. Alternatively, you can opt for one of the new direct flights with lay-flat seating on United Airlines or Hawaiian. That's the only way you can truly get some sleep on a plane these days; trying to do it in economy class is almost impossible.

Honestly, if given the choice between the two options, I would prefer to fly to LAX, spend the night at a nice airport hotel (priced at $120 - $150 for a 4-star hotel), and then continue the journey. It's a much more pleasant experience that way.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
i bought for what already existed not any future promises. I consider Max and BGC so much noise. Give me a few weeks each year in Hawaii and NYC and I'm a happy camper.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
I used to live on the East Coast. The key to flying to Hawaii is either to fly into LAX the night before, sleep, and then take another 5-hour flight onward to HI. Alternatively, you can opt for one of the new direct flights with lay-flat seating on United Airlines or Hawaiian. That's the only way you can truly get some sleep on a plane these days; trying to do it in economy class is almost impossible.

Honestly, if given the choice between the two options, I would prefer to fly to LAX, spend the night at a nice airport hotel (priced at $120 - $150 for a 4-star hotel), and then continue the journey. It's a much more pleasant experience that way.
I have been wondering how to manage getting to Hawaii from Upstate NY. Heck, I was thinking the same about Japan eventually. I'm OK with ~ 24 hours of travel, not that I love it. But I also hate doing security multiple times without a longer break than overnight between stints. It's too bad the only direct flights are from JFK, my easy ride will only take me to EWR or Philly...

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering how to manage getting to Hawaii from Upstate NY. Heck, I was thinking the same about Japan eventually. I'm OK with ~ 24 hours of travel, not that I love it. But I also hate doing security multiple times without a longer break than overnight between stints. It's too bad the only direct flights are from JFK, my easy ride will only take me to EWR or Philly...
United is EWR to HNL. We usually fly nonstop to Honolulu (it’s just a really long day) and then break up the trip back with at least a night in SF or LA.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
United is EWR to HNL. We usually fly nonstop to Honolulu (it’s just a really long day) and then break up the trip back with at least a night in SF or LA.
I can't seem to find (skyscanner.com) any direct flights EWR to HNL... Can you send me an example search? Thanks.

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious what other legacy owners think of what’s happening over at HGV and whether it’s still worth buying resale given the legacy portfolio won’t be increasing in size?

For me the question is - assuming that a new site is built to HGVC standards - if it isn't in HGVC, then where else could it be?

HGVC (or HC) is the top of the line in terms of resort quality so that seems to be the natural fit. I have never stayed at a DRI/HVC resort but my understanding is that their quality level is lower (and HGV's graphic comparing their programs has HVC at a lower tier than HGVC). They aren't going to be part of BlueGreen, that's even further down the scale. Max seems to be an exchange and I'm not seeing how a new site wold only be available to Max members.

I think that new sites will be either part of HGVC or HC but at a significantly higher point level. That seems to be consistent with the Elara HC. I haven't stayed at any of the Hawaii properties but I think that's also consistent with Lagoon tower vs GI/GW.

Long term that could mean a cadre of HGVC owners with (on average) higher point levels which may increase competition for and decrease availability of the current legacy HGVC sites.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
The Elara HC is an after-Max resort right? I was able to book it despite not being in Max. Was it because of our theory that new properties that will be branded within Hgvc/HC are accesible to Legacy owners? Or is it because Elara already exists and this is just a part of that pre-existing resort?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The Elara HC is an after-Max resort right? I was able to book it despite not being in Max. Was it because of our theory that new properties that will be branded within Hgvc/HC are accesible to Legacy owners? Or is it because Elara already exists and this is just a part of that pre-existing resort?
That’s a great point!

MM9

Reaction score
I can't seem to find (skyscanner.com) any direct flights EWR to HNL... Can you send me an example search? Thanks.
Try looking directly on United.com. They definitely have a flight out of EWR to HNL. It may be seasonal now, but, it used to be year-round.

I think Hawaiian Airlines has a direct out of JFK. American & Delta have nothing direct. Not sure about JetBlue.

MM9

Reaction score
Followup. Check United.com and play with the dates. I found a direct in February, pretty easily. It's a daily non-stop at 8:30 am.

United.png

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
UA 363 is a daily nonstop leaving EWR at 8:35 AM and arriving into HNL at 2:50 PM. We're going to be on it later this winter.

That said, my usual 'goto' website for finding flights I'm not sure exist is google flights.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
It's too bad the only direct flights are from JFK, my easy ride will only take me to EWR or Philly...
Since I’m close to Albany, I take the Amtrak to Penn station, LIRR to Jamaica station, then the air train to JFK. Works as long as you don’t have a ton of luggage.

I can fly out of Albany, but that always means extra stops. The train is just more relaxing to me. Parking at Amtrak is pretty reasonably priced as well.

I tend to fly to Kona as well, I generally avoid Oahu unless pressured by my significant other.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option is Hawaiian's Boston to Honolulu nonstop. But if your ride is willing to take you to Philly, I'm guessing you are too far south and/or west to make Boston a viable choice.

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
It’s worth it for us. We pay $1200 MF per year and own 11,200 pts. Staying in Hawaii 5 nights this year in a 2 bed OV GW $240 per night. That’s a steal. Obviously I’m borrowing some points but still a great value. Also staying at Hyatt Kauai 5 nights and the price per night is around $1k for a base room (Using points for this)

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Legacy worked for us when our two boys were small, lots of trips to Orlando. Boys moved on. Then they married and the wives wanted to go. Now, we are taking our two granddaughters, with parents in tow. Not any interest using our ownership out west. Sandestin was an awesome booking when the affiliation with Club Intrawest was in play. Hilton Head fit our beach needs when we could get it, no desire for Myrtle Beach. Two years ago we picked up a unit in Sanibel and we have added Club Wyndham to our portfolio to get our Florida panhandle fix. These two latest additions are far more valuable to us than paying for MAX and what ever they package for the Bluegreen Tideybowl acquisition.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
The former Intrawest/Embarc are now labeled HGVC and are not available to Legacy owners. Since they are trust based and have a charter that really eliminates joining into any other system, Embarc might not be the best comparison. As said above, the new Oahu property might be a better barometer.
Thank you for explaining why former Embarc resorts are not available to legacy owners and also not available in MAX. I couldn’t understand that. I was excited when it was announced HGVC was purchasing Diamond and then the resorts were not available.