• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Learning a New Airport

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow - I actually have a travel question! :)

I've been flying in and out of Sea-Tac Airport for so many years, I just kind of knew the ins and outs of things. With my move to Nevada, I'll need to learn how to travel to and from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas as my primary hub. Is there an easy way to learn which airlines fly nonstop from there to specific cities or states (e.g. Hawaii, New York, Florida? Is KAYAK a good source for that?) I'm sure there are more airlines flying in and out of Las Vegas than fly in and out of Sea-Tac, so some will be new carriers to me. Is there a way to know who's good and who isn't? Are there insider tips about where/how best to park at LAS when going away for extended periods? (Seattle has a MasterPark garage that is really convenient, indoor storage, and valet parking for only a shade more than parking in an outdoor lot. It'd be nice to have something like that in Las Vegas, if it exists.)

Current need: I have a two-week trip to Hawaii rescheduled for next May. I'm curious about the easiest way to book airfare from LAS to Hawaii. Other than Hawaiian Airlines, which I know flies to HNL from LAS, what are my other options?

Kind of a newbie questions, I know. Help me to learn what I need to know. :)

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Find out what lounge works best for the different airlines and get cheap access to them.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Since Las Vegas is considered part of Hawaii :cool: I would think there would be many options for nonstop flights. However, since most airlines have cut back on their schedules currently you might have trouble finding that information. I know many people are hoping Southwest will have a nonstop from there at some point.

Sometimes when I want to find out information such as what you are looking for, I'll just Google "non stop flights from LAS to Hawaii". Or use something like Travelocity to see what flights they show.

In a quick search right now it looks like Hawaiian has, or at least had, a non stop from Las Vegas to Maui. Happy hunting!

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
There's quite a few good online flight search engines. I use Google Flights quite often (flights.google.com) and sometimes Skyscanner.com. You can easily customize your search. For example, you can search for non-stop flights only, one way or round trip, and class of service (coach versus business).

The Achilles heel of the search engines is that they might not include some of the lower priced carriers (especially Southwest). So I would first do a search on what airlines fly in/out of LAS. Once I have the full list of potential carriers, if one or more are not showing up in my flight search, it's usually necessary to visit those individual websites and do a search there.

I took a quick look with Google Flights. If I specify non-stop to HNL, the schedule goes as far as mid-May. One way shows $235 on Hawaiian in coach, $835 in business, and about $30 higher on weekends. No other non-stops come up in my search.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
There are two main terminals and here are the airlines that fly out of each of them: https://www.mccarran.com/Terminals

We like Terminal 3 the best--it's the newer of the two and just seems easier to navigate.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks! I knew you folks would know. It didn't dawn on me to see if the airport website had anything of value. Duh! ;)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will love/hate McCarran. More direct flights to nearly everywhere, but awful crowds.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You will love/hate McCarran. More direct flights to nearly everywhere, but awful crowds.

I've flown to/through McCarran a number of times. I like the improvements they've made over the years. But as the place has gotten larger and busier, there is a whole new dynamic of learning how to be a smart traveler there.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Dh used to do a lot of travel for business. He'd find that when flights got cancelled, it seemed he could always get a flight into, and out of Las Vegas. :D

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Viva Las Vegas!

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Don’t know about McCarran but the ones I use have all the flights that arrive and leave from the airport, even the LCC’ like Frontier, etc. not that I use them.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
With my move to Nevada
When did this become official? I remember reading you were looking into it, possibly relocating to NV. DW was off from Costco bc of health concerns, you retired a tad earlier than planned. I missed when you were considering it ... to it's a done deal!! How exciting. I've lived in the same county my entire life, And, except for about 10 years, in the same town. Don't know if I'm gutsy enough to move across several states. (You have the advantage of a military background and moving was part of the plan.) Plus we have too much stuff to move a significant distance. :LOL:

Has DW decided to retire from Costco for good or is there an opening for her in NV when the situation becomes safer. How fast did your house sell or are you still working on that? Have you bought a new residence? I missed everything apparently...

p.s. Still waiting on my info from VA. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When did this become official? I remember reading you were looking into it, possibly relocating to NV. DW was off from Costco bc of health concerns, you retired a tad earlier than planned. I missed when you were considering it ... to it's a done deal!! How exciting. I've lived in the same county my entire life, And, except for about 10 years, in the same town. Don't know if I'm gutsy enough to move across several states. (You have the advantage of a military background and moving was part of the plan.) Plus we have too much stuff to move a significant distance. :LOL:

Has DW decided to retire from Costco for good or is there an opening for her in NV when the situation becomes safer. How fast did your house sell or are you still working on that? Have you bought a new residence? I missed everything apparently...

p.s. Still waiting on my info from VA. ;)
Dave is on the road as we speak. Yes, Dave's spouse retired early. He gave a long explanation somewhere. Their house will go on he market soon, and they are renting in Nevada.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV