• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Law school rejection

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
where are you getting your information from?

The average salary of an attorney in Chicago is $143,000. That is significantly more than the average real estate agent, contractor, or plumber. The same goes for Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as the OP is from PA, they are both over $140k as well.

People ought to do a little research before they make unfounded blanket statements.

http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/mag_article/what_americas_lawyers_earn/

If you scroll down, you will see a map of the US and what lawyers earn around the country, as well as the top 35 cities where lawyers earn the most.

I will bet the farm, that in most cities a plumber, real estate agent, or contractor's average salary is NOT higher than an attorneys average salary in that city.

From the article cited:

"And because they represent payroll data, they don't include equity partners or solos. But they do represent the best estimates we can glean from the most current BLS data as of mid-2009."

Or those Recent graduates who did not pursue a law career after graduation (45% recently according to Forbes, see below) and are working in another field, I assume.

Form the NALP about recent hires:

"Entry-Level and Lateral Hiring — On the Road to Recovery? (NALP Bulletin, March 2011) — Just how much did the number of entry-level associates starting work in law firms in 2009 decline? New research from NALP suggests that, after holding relatively steady from 2007 to 2008, the volume of entry-level associates starting work in 2009 plunged by an estimated 40%. Meanwhile, the decline in lateral hiring started even earlier, with the volume dropping off by an estimated one-quarter in 2008 compared with 2007, and falling by an estimated 46% from 2008 to 2009."

http://www.nalp.org/entry-levelhiring

So if you make the cut to get into school, graduate, manage to get hired, manage to survive in a large firm, you can make good money, at least in 2009. :ponder:

From a more recent article from Forbes:

"The news for would-be attorneys keeps getting worse. According to analysis from the Wall Street Journal released yesterday, only 55% of class of 2011 law school grads were employed full-time as lawyers nine months after graduation. The other 45% may be unemployed, working at Starbucks or starting their own law school hate blogs. Couple this with declining starting salaries (they fell $9000 between 2009 and 2010) and the fact that 85% of law school grads are facing an average debt load of $98 500 and you can see why law school as a career path has taken a public lambasting in recent years."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jmauree...is-the-worst-career-decision-youll-ever-make/

If someone wishes to pursue a carrier in the law, go for it. Just realize there are other choices available.

Just considering the risk vs reward for a career, a plumber is a better bet in today's market for lawyers. :D

Cheers

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's a combination of your LSAT Score and GPA. It's almost impossible to score high just because your are lucky. My son (who is math/physics major) scored 162 but his GPA was just average (3.4?). He decided not to apply for law school and took a job in the financial sector instead. He may still consider going to law school in the future but he would retake the LSAT before applying. To spend that much money for law school and give up a nice paying job, it just does not make sense to him if he could not get into a top 25 school (a lot actually aim for top 14).

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a stupid rationale.

Seriously, I would rather go to an attorney that has a 4 year history of doing well in undergrad school and is serious student rather than someone that can get lucky on a non-law based single day logic exam.

Perhaps this is what is wrong with the law profession, they have weeded out too many good candidates with a meaningless test and rewarded those that did well with an admission ticket.

What next, will the educational institutions test how well you can juggle three balls with one eye closed to determine who will gain entrance to law school or medical school.

I wonder if other countries base so much weight on these obscure tests.
you obviously grossly misunderstood. Just because the lsat is weighed more heavily, doesnt mean gpa isnt a factor. In fact, for the top schools you need both. But if deciding between a person with a slightly higher gpa or a slightly higher lsat score, considering all else is relative, they will take the higher lsat score. Its. Better tool to differentiate between students, gpa is too subjective and dependent on many other factors as i previously pointed out.

And for your notion about youd rather have an attorney that did welll in undergrad instead of getting lucky on the lsat. There may be people that got a higher score due to luck, but without work ethic, youd never survive the beast that is law school. I could care less if someone slacked in undergrad and had a good time, managed to get into law school because he was a good test taker, then worked tremendously hard to graduate and worked even harder to pass the bar. I really wouldnt care what they got in their astronomy class when they were 20.

As to x3skier, you took my post about current practicing attorneys (which was a direct response to a previous poster talking about current salaries) and made it about current grads looking for work (and not surprisngly ignored my post pointing out you having no clue what youre talking about regarding the lsat) Sure, it used to be kids had secured jobs before they even graduated and took the bar. Now, about half of the kids are employed 9 months after grad, but consider they dont even take the bar for months after grad, and anywhere from 10-25 percent dont pass and couldnt work as an attorney yet regardless if a job was waiting for them. Also, those figures often dont include solo practioners. Its true though, the job market is tougher, thats true with many industries. Did you know more than half of college graduates lack full time work within 12 months of graduation? And even a larger percentage of the ones that are working are in a field unrelated to their degree? 43% of those that are employed are in a position that doesnt even require a college degree? This is not a unique phenomena for the legal market.

It also depends where you go to school, looking at the current data for my law school, over 90% were employed at graduation, with a median private sector starting salary of $160,000

Also consider when you are looking at attorneys average salaries, there are many that work in the public sector, such as government jobs and public service positions to help those less fortunate, these bring down the averages. These are people that arent doing it for the money, and believe me, a prosecutor or public defender can transition to the private sector and make a bundle with his experience.

My mentor after graduation went to a tier 4 school, worked as a federal prosecutor for nearly a decade, now does white collar criminal defense among other things. His rate is $1200 an hour, and he recently had a case where his retainer was over $3 million.

Also, in Chicago, there are many judges on the bench froma reputable tier 4 school in the area, in fact they produce the most judges in the city.

My advice to somene going to a tier 3 or tier 4 school, is go where you want to practice, so you can network. Because doors wont open themselves for you like when your in a tier 1 school, or a t14 school.

Also, even if I got paid less then a plumber, I wouldnt go back and change anything. The feeling of someone putting their life in your hands, and the rewarding feeling of making a difference for that client, whether it be keeping them out of jail, preventing financial ruin, or even fightingi for their right to see their kids, etc. is worth more then the paycheck, that of course is my opinion.

Also, all you law and order watchers, and people that "know a guy" or "have a brother" thats an attorney, or read an article on forbes about the legal market, really need to take it easy with your "advice." You havent graduated law school, you havent taken the bar, you have no idea what it takes to get a job, and you have no idea what its like to be an attorney. And thats precisely why you pay us the big bucks and pray we save your behind when you need us. I would say your advice isnt worth the paper its printed on, but we are in the digital age. That is all, over and out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It also depends where you go to school, looking at the current data for my law school, over 90% were employed at graduation, with a median private sector starting salary at $160,000

My mentor after graduation went to a tier 4 school, worked as a federal prosecutor for nearly a decade, now does white collar criminal defense among other things. His rate is $1200 an hour, and he recently had a case where his retainer was over $3 million.

Also, in Chicago, there are many judges on the bench froma reputable tier 4 school in the area, in fact they produce the most judges in the city.

My advice to somene going to a tier 3 or tier 4 school, is go where you want to practice, so you can network. Because doors wont open themselves for you like when your in a tier 1 school, or a t14 school.

According to your post above, it appears that going to law school (even a tier 3 or 4) is still a pretty good option for many people (much better than a manager at McDonalds as some ignorant "Bum" posters have stated on TUG)

Getting back to the OP, I am pretty sure that their son can get into a law school (even right now) for the fall and perhaps they either need to restudy for the LSAT so they can get into the law school of their choice or simply go to a less impressive school NOW.

The OP never stated how many law school their son applied to, only that they were not accepted into the law school where they are currently a student in the undergrad school.

Either way, good luck and I am happy that some tier 3 and tier 4 law school graduates can do better than some tier 1 grads.

Also, I would love to make $1,200 per hour as an attorney.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to your post above, it appears that going to law school (even a tier 3 or 4) is still a pretty good option for many people (much better than a manager at McDonalds as some ignorant "Bum" posters have stated on TUG)

Getting back to the OP, I am pretty sure that their son can get into a law school (even right now) for the fall and perhaps they either need to restudy for the LSAT so they can get into the law school of their choice or simply go to a less impressive school NOW.

The OP never stated how many law school their son applied to, only that they were not accepted into the law school where they are currently a student in the undergrad school.

Either way, good luck and I am happy that some tier 3 and tier 4 law school graduates can do better than some tier 1 grads.

Also, I would love to make $1,200 per hour as an attorney.

You really seem to have trouble understanding complex subjects such as this one.

The comparison of a McDonald's manager to a newly minted law school graduate is an economic trade off, not a value judgement. If a person wants to work in a McDonald's, I have no problem with that. Food services is an expanding industry. Legal services is a shrinking one. I believe and stated that people should do whatever they love. They should go into any industry they want as long as they have the correct perspective on the field in which they pursue.

From a purely economic standpoint, which is what I stated, a McDonald's manager requires a GED or high school diploma and some work experience which they could get in high school. An attorney that does not get one of the top $160k starting salaries is in the job market for the mean income of $45k-65k with a 56% probability. That's what the stats say. The cost to get that job is 4 years undergrad and 3 years of law school. You seem to misunderstand that there are relative costs for each profession that need to be included into the apples to apples comparison of a career in law vs. an alternate career like in food services.

So, let's compare the relative economics of a McDonald's manager with 7 years of experience after high school and a newly minted attorney who attends a private 4 year University and 3 years of law school. Right now, a private University is around $250k. Law school is around another $180k. If the attorney does not get into a top tier law firm getting one of the primo $160k starting salaries, they are on the $45-65k starting salary curve.

The McDonald's manager works for 7 years, learns the ins and outs of the food services business and has saved around $430k by not attending a University. They can take that $430k and invest it into a McDonald's franchise with sales of roughly $2.2M and a net operating profit of $176,000 per year. All it takes is a desire to make money, hard work and the discipline of running a franchise.

Neither a legal job, nor running a McDonald's franchise is something that I would want to do. But, if I had to choose now with eyes open a career in food services vs a legal career that comes out of a non-Tier 1 firm, I would choose food services. I would probably choose better than McDonald's, too. I would probably choose 5 guys or a restaurant like Chipotle Mexican Grill (I think they are only company owed now, though).

Probably the biggest reason why I would not want to be a non tier 1 attorney is that if I am paid for my time, I only have 168 hours max that I can bill every week whereas in food services, I could own more than one franchise and expand my earning capacity. Sure, partners get more. I'd have to be pretty confident about building a legal practice to assume that I would make partner, especially in one of the top firms.

For me, the opportunity cost of 7 years of higher education must yield a much higher career earnings curve that the one presented by a tier 2-4 law school.

Contrast that with a software engineer whose starting salaries average around $75k and requires only a 4 year degree with lots of jobs. Plus there is as much upside in start ups as attorney's have by becoming partners in law firms. Or course, not everyone has the personality of skills to become either a food services franchise owner, an attorney or a software engineer. However, I doubt a lot of people perform the economic analysis I just did to determine whether or not a college or professional education is worth it. Those are the ones who blindly believe that an education at any cost is worth it. It's not and I can prove it empirically.

Again, people can choose whatever they love. I am fine with any field people choose that does not result in government subsidies meaning they are able to be valuable and productive citizens in the modern economy without increasing taxes on other productive citizens who are able to carry their own weight economically.

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing. In previous posts, I said that as a consumer of legal services or medical services, I care more about the experience of the person than the brand on their degree. I stand by that comment.

I just retained an attorney this week to help me with a legal issue. The retainer is $250 per hour. I did not once ask where she got her law degree. Instead, I got a referral from another attorney with whom I have successfully worked and after an initial consult and review of the experience of this attorney and discussion of the strategy for a case, I asked for a retainer agreement.

Don't confuse an attorney who is supplying services to a law firm with a consumer that is in the market for hiring an attorney. I am no longer in a company that requires the services of an Amlaw 200 law firm. I don't want or need to pay for legal services at $1000 per hour or more. That would be overkill for the jobs I have for them to do at this time. However, if I were an attorney, I would not want the job of that person earning $250 per hour. The opportunity cost for me to attend law school would only pay off if I could achieve one of those tier 1 jobs. I don't think I could get admitted into a tier 1 law school, so the point is moot.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
re. LSAT. He needs to retake the LSAT and at least get a good test booklet. I liked Kaplan 25 years ago. Kaplan is good b/c it gives you the reasons why the wrong answers are wrong. Also, he should practice timed tests many times. Someone with good grades can absolutely improve their score with the RIGHT type of preparation. The LSAT is all about logic games/formulas (think of a cookie recipe that you can add variations to--ginger, choc chips, almonds, etc.)--figure out how to quickly devise the formula/recipe and you can easily do many questions quicker, which gives more time to think about other questions--as it is a time crunch.
Also, from cost/benefit, IMHO, I would not go to a 3rd/4th tier law school. There is too much competition and it is very difficult to get a legal job in the current economy, esp. from lower tier schools. He would be better to work for a year--or intern someplace, study and do practice LSAT tests and reapply for the next year with hopes of getting into higher ranking schools.
I also agree with PP. If he does go to 3/4 tier law school, it should be in an area where he wants to work--and he should start networking, interning, clerking for summers in that location to have a decent chance at getting a job. I not go to 3/4 tier in state A looking to work in state Z after graduation. good luck. Elaine

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
For completeness, my final comments will be in relation to other majors such as art history or language arts which have been the subject of my previous posts. If you attend a private University such as Harvard at a cost of $250k and you pursue such a major, you are not doing it as an investment. You do it as a luxury purchase. Again, if someone has $250k burning a hole in their bank account and they can afford a luxury purchase of $250k, I have no problem with it. It would be like making a choice between a college education or a Bentley. Such majors are the economic equivalent unless they can directly lead to a career with a definable salary curve.

The part that I am not in favor of is when that $250k education is subsidized by my tax dollars. No matter how good or bad the salary curve is for attorneys, at least there is a salary curve that is directly related to law school.

I am very cynical about the current University system and our current public education system. I do not believe it is focused on the proper education of our children to be productive citizens in a 21st century economy. My direction to my kids is go to school to find your passion. That is my gift to you. If you choose to make it a luxury education in a liberal arts field, I am okay with that. If you want to pursue a professional career, I am okay with that, too. I say that knowing that at the end of the day, they can come home and I can teach them how to start and run a business. They don't need to go to college to learn that. I can give that to them now.

Reaction score
The part that I am not in favor of is when that $250k education is subsidized by my tax dollars. No matter how good or bad the salary curve is for attorneys, at least there is a salary curve that is directly related to law school.

I am very cynical about the current University system and our current public education system. I do not believe it is focused on the proper education of our children to be productive citizens in a 21st century economy.

Although I find some of your rhetoric extremely dogmatic, narrow-minded, and even incredulous, the above statement is something you and I can finally agree on.

It seems to me that most high school graduates (and many college graduates) significantly lack real-world skills that they can use to actually create value with their employment.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now the siesta has retired "That is all, over and out." from the discussion, perhaps we might get back to the OP question / comments.

My postings have mostly been concerning the cost and current outlook for employment in the field. The articles I posted do not paint a rosy picture. In fact, most non "technical or professional" courses of study are equally problematic. However any course of study except medicine probably does not require as large an expenditure in time and treasure as a top tier law school.

There is an opportunity cost for spending three years in law school in both time and money that should be a factor. If in the end, the decision is to attend, fantastic. OTOH, there are choices that require less time and money that can be equally rewarding both professionally and personally.

I have been fortunate to have three very successful careers and each one was quite different. I examined each, weighed the pros and cons and plunged ahead.

Good luck in whatever choice is made and all the best to the OP and the family.

Cheers

Last edited:

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still find it incredibly ironic that criminal justice and Pre-law majors score the lowest on the LSAT and the math, physics and engineering majors do the best. I am sure some people will have strong opinions on that, but that appears to be a disconnect with the LSAT more than anything else.

What is next, will the Poetry majors will soon do better than Pre-Med students on the MCAT.

Some do. My undergraduate degree is in engineering and I didn't decide I wanted to try and go to medical school until I was doing an externship at one of our national labs and realized I wanted more human contact with what I did as a career. There is really no "pre-med" or "pre-law" undergraduate degree or major. There are basic course requirements that can be obtained with a wide variety of degrees. That's why there's a need for standardized tests because that's what they are - standardized. It's really the fairest comparison of applicants that come from a very broad range of undergraduate degrees and majors.

For me, the only thing I needed to add on to my engineering degree was Biology 101&102 which I did during my junior and senior years. I then took the MCAT and got into a top 10 medical school. I loved my medical school class which was so diverse and interesting. One of my classmates was a former professional ballet dancer in NYC.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How many kids really know what they want to be at age 12 or 13 when they pick their high school courses - esp a S.T.E.M. track?

I picked a major because some of my best classes where in math. But as a female, almost everyone said my career would be in teaching Math. Dang, I did not relate as a 13-16yo to teenagers - why did anyone think I wanted to be around them when I was 20+ years old.

In college I discovered computers and accounting. Was good at both of them, but after working 12+ years doing MIS work - I realized the interior office buildings were killing me. And that was before the term "sick buildings" existed. All I knew is, going out to lunch or walking between meetings outside, was the best part of my day. I felt alive. I was not yarning and nodding off to sleep like I was at my desk. I would start yarning when I came off the elevators INTO work at 8AM.

And that is how I got into doing construction. And that is why my 2 youngest sisters are both mechnical engineers - magna cum laude from Duke and cum laude from Lehigh. Engineering was not an option for 17 year old girls when I was in high school.

Perhaps your son would benefit from doing some career evaluation testing and a session or two to explain what the testing pointed to. He would not be the first person to realize he might LOVE something totally different.

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP : I understand your feelings of rejection from Temple, your son's current school. Trust me that is the best gift Temple could have given him and I wish he does not get into any of the schools that have waitlisted him.

The Legal job market is nothing like what it used to be & Job prospects are fairly bleak for graduates from Tier 2/3/4 schools. In fact things are not too great even for those in the 50 schools that comprise Tier 1, especially those are not above the median GPA in their first year of Law School.

My suggestion is to retake LSAT again(allowed 3 attempts and most schools take the top score) and take prep classes from Powerscore or Testmasters. His GPA is good enough for all T14 schools; so if he can get raise his LSAT scores even in 160s, which I am sure he will (he can somewhat predict his score once he takes 25-30 timed practice tests), he can even apply to Tier 1 schools.

Once he clears the LSAT 160 threshold, there are some schools that accept "splitters" like your son with high GPA like GWU, Virginia and many others especially when applying to binding Early Decision process.

Reduce the total cost of attendance and keep the loans under 100-150K upon graduation; otherwise buying a home in the future will be a distant dream, unless you hit the "biglaw" jackpot.

Not many know starting 2012-2013 academic year, even the best Federal loans given to Graduate students is at a whopping 7.9% & has a special "twisted gift" from Congress; the interest starts accruing the minute you take it !! NYU's cost of attendance for most students involves mainly loans; so what used to be $75K/yr times 3 is now amounting to $260K upon graduation due to the accrued interest.

off topic: it makes no sense to me to let people walk out of homes with 4-5% mortgages with impunity, whereas we are debt slaving our younger generation with 7.9% loans that stays with them forever !!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avoid loans. Read Sarah Palin's book. Actually I'm not kidding. My recollection is that she earned enough to get started in college. Then whenever the money ran out she would drop out of school for a semester, earn enough to cover the next semester's expenses, then re-enroll. Note that this has nothing to do with her politics. Rather it reflects and alternative approach to paying for one's education.

George

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Avoid loans. Read Sarah Palin's book. Actually I'm not kidding. My recollection is that she earned enough to get started in college. Then whenever the money ran out she would drop out of school for a semester, earn enough to cover the next semester's expenses, then re-enroll. Note that this has nothing to do with her politics. Rather it reflects and alternative approach to paying for one's education.

George

Avoiding loans is not the answer. Obtaining loans (if necessary) that are not excessive is a perfectly reasonable strategy- possibly the best strategy for most students. The key is to have some idea of your earning potential and to keep your total debt to a sane amount. I didnt go to my first choice undergraduate school because my second choice school offered a full tuition scholarship. I turned down first choice (expensive) veterinary college in favor of secobd choice (affordable) veterinary college.

Honestly these days it seems like it is out of fashion to be reasonable and balance numerous factors. Instead of "I better make a decision as to where to go to school based on what I can afford," the modern thinking is "I'm going the school I want (nevermind that I can't afford it)". Again, this is not about OPs son, just about society in general.

Seriously my entire 8 1/2 year undergraduate + professional education left me $30,500 in debt (20 years ago, admittedly). I didn't think I could afford much more than that and I planned accordingly.

H

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously my entire 8 1/2 year undergraduate + professional education left me $30,500 in debt (20 years ago, admittedly).

So in your considered opinion, how much would the same 8 1/2 years cost today?

Jim

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would guess about $55,000.

H

Sorry you have no clue.

Like I mentioned before Graduate loans now accrue interest from the day you borrow; we have 3 kids in Undergraduate & Law school and we estimate it will be a battle to keep the loans under $100,000 for each of them(including Grad school)

BTW state schools in CA went from $21,000/year when our first kid started to $29,000/year in 5 years span.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the subject of undergraduate education, a good alternative to loans for undergrad study is a Co-Op program where you alternate school and work. At the University of Cincinnati it's the only way you can study engineering. It's offered at many schools in many fields. At UC, you have assignments in your field of study that allows you to earn a decent amount of money.

As heathpack says "Honestly these days it seems like it is out of fashion to be reasonable and balance numerous factors. Instead of "I better make a decision as to where to go to school based on what I can afford," the modern thinking is "I'm going the school I want (nevermind that I can't afford it)". Again, this is not about OPs son, just about society in general."

I graduated with no money and no debt since I picked a good school that allowed me to do that rather than picking one neither I or my family could afford.

Cheers

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the subject of undergraduate education, a good alternative to loans for undergrad study is a Co-Op program where you alternate school and work. At the University of Cincinnati it's the only way you can study engineering. It's offered at many schools in many fields. At UC, you have assignments in your field of study that allows you to earn a decent amount of money.

Drexel University in Philadelphia also has a VERY strong engineering co-op work study program.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Sorry you have no clue.

Like I mentioned before Graduate loans now accrue interest from the day you borrow; we have 3 kids in Undergraduate & Law school and we estimate it will be a battle to keep the loans under $100,000 for each of them(including Grad school)

BTW state schools in CA went from $21,000/year when our first kid started to $29,000/year in 5 years span.

So is your answer that you would recommend that your children borrow an unsustainable amount? The point that I have made previously is that it may not make economic sense to become a veterinarian. And if it doesn't, you shouldn't.

At my alma mater, when I went to school Stafford Loans covered tuition plus about $2500/year in living expenses. So you are right, I have no clue. If we look at current tuition and add a proportional amount of Stafford loan towards living expenses, a student for the same education today would need to borrow $96,000. That is a semi-reasonable number given potential earnings for a veterinarian (depending on whether there is also undergraduate debt) but I would suggest that if those same tuition dollars would be more cost effectively spent on another career, it would be wise to consider that option.

You sound like you are doing your kids a favor in trying to help them keep total amount borrowed down, but I don't know that this parenting trait is all that common any more. I work all the time with veterinary students and recent grads-dozens per year. Many of them have unsustainable amounts of debt (having gone to expensive vet schools) and no responsible adult seems to have counseled these kids at all. They don't know how much they can expect to earn or how they'll pay the $ back.

H

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I graduated undergrad and grad school debt free. I worked before university, during the semesters and during the summers. Also ran 70 miles weeks during that time.

I did not go to a great school but one that I could manage on my own.

Before university I had no attachment to a particular university.

I am very happy what I chose and hope others are as well.

I do think university costs should be lowered. Not sure if the universities, government or people just saying enough is enough is the answer.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know why more kids don't join the military for the GI Bill. It is a way lot more lucrative than it used to be. I think my Son got something like full tuition (at a State University) , a book allowance and $1,500 per month toward living expenses. Not only did he get the GI Bill but he was a far more focused student after his time in the Marine Corps than before he went in.

George