• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Last night after week in Wyndham Alexandria- where to stay?

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
After a week at the Wyndham Alexandria we will have one last night to stay before leaving for Dulles (IAD) airport for a 4:20PM flight home. Do you think it would be easier to stay at a hotel in Alexandria or would downtown DC be better? It seems like there isn't really a need to stay near the airport since we'll be taking a late afternoon flight. We will use Starpoints (Westin, Sheraton) for the last night and there seem to be several neighborhood options. :)

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its much easier to stay in Alexandria. Its easier to get to the airport from there.

J

JoeMid

You could certainly rent an extra night from Wyndham, they are money hungry enough that they'll find a way to keep you in the same room. I always recommend the Americana in Crystal City.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you want to do

I think it depends on what you want to do that last day. Smithsonian has an annex to the Air and Space Museum near Dulles that is supposed to be very nice. That might warrent staying near Dulles. If you want to site see more in DC, then stay in town; otherwise stay in Alexandria, Crystal City, etc.

Nancy

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
My opinion only, but I'd stay somewhere in Reston/Herndon and try to do/see things nearer to Dulles. Already mentioned was the Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum. There is also good shopping at Reston Town Center and good outlets in Leesburg. You won't have any problem finding things to do. There is a very nice and new Westin in Reston.

You don't mention when you are traveling (day/month), but I wouldn't risk hitting traffic coming out of DC/Alexandria and missing your flight.

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
As much as I like people to spend their time and money in Alexandria, if Wyndham won't let you stay in the same unit, and you have to move anyway, I would head west.

A hotel in the Dulles, Reston, Herndon area will let you extend your check out while you explore -- the Wyndham won't.

As others have said, there is a wealth of fun things to do there and you would have some peace of mind about making the plane. If you stay in Alex or DC, you would have to leave so early to beat the traffic that you would not have much time to do things.

If you do decide to stay in Alexandria, we have a cool new Westin very close to the Wyndham. It is also walking distance to King Street Metro.

Last edited:

glenn1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice!

We will spend the last night at the Westin Reston since it sounds like there are some interesting things to do around there. Our dates are in mid-June and, as it turns out, we have now changed from Alexandria to the Westin Grand on M Street for the first five out of eight nights. The rental I thought was available from a Wyndham owner was actually not at that resort so we opted for the more central location.

We're thinking about two nights in Williamsburg in between the DC nights and would love any advice on where a family of five should stay (Starpoints not an option) or if there is a better place to visit with teenagers who have a limited interest in history. :hi:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
For kids not liking history, I wouldn't go to Williamsburg unless you want to go to Busch Gardens and Watercountry.

How about Baltimore's inner harbor? You can do a ton of things on foot including a good aquarium, the Balitmore Orioles (if they are in town), Fels Point, etc. It's about 40 minutes from DC.

Another option is Philadelphia. You can do the main attractions in two days and stay right in the downtown area.

Thanks so much for the advice!

We will spend the last night at the Westin Reston since it sounds like there are some interesting things to do around there. Our dates are in mid-June and, as it turns out, we have now changed from Alexandria to the Westin Grand on M Street for the first five out of eight nights. The rental I thought was available from a Wyndham owner was actually not at that resort so we opted for the more central location.

We're thinking about two nights in Williamsburg in between the DC nights and would love any advice on where a family of five should stay (Starpoints not an option) or if there is a better place to visit with teenagers who have a limited interest in history. :hi:

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
i second the note for the Air Space museum out a Dulles - after a week down town - come out to the burbs and see the space shuttle and jsf and spy plane and.......you get the picture