• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Laser Printer - Shut off?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
After buying a new inkjet printers on practically a yearly basis (I'm not making that up), I decided to move to a laser printer b/c I have terrible luck with Inkjets. I go for long periods of time not using the printer (probably why I had issues with the Inkjets). Is anyone pretty knowledgable about printers? I want advice on whether I should shut it down in between print jobs or is it ok to leave on all of the time?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It won't hurt it to leave it on. I've had my laser printer turned on for several years now, and the only time it gets a power cycle is if I need to move it.

Laser toner is made from powdered plastic that is melted onto the page during the printing process. Unlike inkjet printers, that tend to dry out the ink cartridges and get clogged from lack of use, a laser printer will sit and wait till you're ready to print. Most will go into a standby mode, and will warm back up when you send a page to it.

Dave

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
It won't hurt it to leave it on. I've had my laser printer turned on for several years now, and the only time it gets a power cycle is if I need to move it.

Laser toner is made from powdered plastic that is melted onto the page during the printing process. Unlike inkjet printers, that tend to dry out the ink cartridges and get clogged from lack of use, a laser printer will sit and wait till you're ready to print. Most will go into a standby mode, and will warm back up when you send a page to it.

Dave
Thank you so much! Hopefully this printer will last longer than a year .

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a laser printer for over four (4). I never turned it off.

I also agree with DaveNW comments.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have 2 laser printers - both are always on and ready to go. The BW one is an Epson 2370DW (duplex & wireless) and it is awesome. It replaced a 2270DW that was a true workhorse fo 4 years when I was the volunteer Admin for a startup church. I bought a new printer last fall because the new printer was on sale so less expensive than new cartridges and drum. My other laser is color (3 years old) and I use it when printing photos and scrapbooking. I do not use it a lot, but it is always on. Sometimes when I want to use it, it says offline and I just unplug it and plug in again. Then it is ready to go. Lasers are great!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. Just leave it on. It will heat it's drum (really the only part that wears out over time) and go to work printing the job.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
We keep ours on all the time and it goes into sleep mode - except if we are home during strong midwestern thunderstorms.