• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Las Vegas? total newbie [RCI]

shcat5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

So my girlfriend and I went to a timeshare pitch and bought...I know, such rookies. I can promise you we would have bet you a TON of money that we weren't going to buy one...just wanted to learn a bit about it and get free nights in vegas.

Anyway- now we own one in vegas. I love all the advice to not bother with regrets and move forward! Trust me, that is our attitude. After reading the newbie hand book, i have a few minor questions.

1. Is vegas a good location for exchanges?

2. Is week 1 a good week (the whole year is red rated)?

3. With our RCI membership/purchase we have two extra weeks with a 2-45 day booking....will these actually work?

We are pretty easy going and pretty flexible travelers (jobs that are crazy for 10 months of the year but two months of flex)...

I see there seems to be an awareness of "bad mouthing" any option- again much appreciated- but any obvious issues with RCI a rookie should know?

Thanks all
totally psyched to own a timeshare:whoopie:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

If you are still in the rescission period, you should rescind immediately.

1. You can buy the exact same thing on the resale market for 50% or less than what you paid. (Generally much less!)

2. Las Vegas is not a strong exchanger, because it is overbuilt with timeshares.

This is not bad-mouthing...it's simply factual information.

Rescind, do your homework, take your time, and then make an informed purchase, with no pressure, at a fraction of the price you paid.

Here is a FAQ about rescinding. I don't know what company you bought from, but just about everything applies, regardless of the company you bought from.

Good luck!

shcat5

TUG Member
Reaction score
too late

past our grace period....

NO REGRETS! onward!

sooooo...about those other questions...:cheer:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Well, I answered one of your questions - it's not a strong trader because LV is overbuilt.

Nor is it red year-round....for instance when it's 120º in August there isn't much demand.

What resort did you buy at?

Can't help you with RCI, but I agree, if it's too late, put it behind you and find out how to enjoy your ownership. Timesharing can be great!

And don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'd hate to tell you what I paid for my first TS from the developer! :eek: And we have plenty of company!

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It might help us answer you better if we knew what you bought? Like everything else, someplaces are better than others.

shcat5

TUG Member
Reaction score
details

2 bedroom at Cliffs at Peace Canyon

week 1? so early Jan...
rated red- i realize that is a bunch of baloney from reading the newbie handbook...just trying to figure out how red.

it has that gold crown rating...

any knowledge about the 2 over inventory weeks-- 2-45 days out reserves?

and hey - i appreciate the shot at getting me to get out...i woke up at 2am the night after we signed the papers and was sure we got ripped off. while i know we could have gotten a better deal- i actually looked around a bit and it wasn't has horrible as i thought...

live and learn....

so you think we wont be able to get any trade? even in other "over stocked" areas?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not that you won't be able to get any trade, there are lots of "any trades" out there, but it just won't be a tiger trader. If you can travel off-season, that will help. I just looked at the TUG Reviews & Ratings (which you can access if you become a member) and Tuggers rate this resort 7.88 which I would loosely define as a B-.

Since your questions are RCI oriented - I am going to move your post to the points board where you will get expert help.

Last edited:

shcat5

TUG Member
Reaction score
but i don't have points....i have weeks...or at least week.

assigned week 1.

B-...alright. that could be worse.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry - I thought you were saying you had points. I will move it to the Exchanging Board instead.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Hi all-

So my girlfriend and I went to a timeshare pitch and bought...I know, such rookies. I can promise you we would have bet you a TON of money that we weren't going to buy one...just wanted to learn a bit about it and get free nights in vegas.

Anyway- now we own one in vegas. I love all the advice to not bother with regrets and move forward! Trust me, that is our attitude. After reading the newbie hand book, i have a few minor questions.

1. Is vegas a good location for exchanges?

We've had decent trades with our Polo Towers units in Vegas for the last 10 years. However, Vegas has been gaining more units every year. In the past I.I. has offered us Accomadation Certificate's (bonus weeks) for our deposits. It appears that will end in 2010 as I see no online offer for an AC. That's probabaly an indicator that exchange power has dropped.

2. Is week 1 a good week (the whole year is red rated)?

While all weeks in Vegas are "red", some "red" weeks are redder than others. Week 1 is a fair week, not the strongest but not the weakest either. The strongest weeks are weeks 5, 9, and 51. The strongest, of course, is week 52 or NYE week. Weeks 10 through 14 are also very good weeks for Vegas but, I'm looking at the I.I. exchange index. Since RCI has different resorts and a different number of available units for exchange in Vegas, your milage may vary.

3. With our RCI membership/purchase we have two extra weeks with a 2-45 day booking....will these actually work?

Mostly a sales ploy. I believe that extra vacations are available to rent through RCI in unlimited quantities. Salesmen will tell you just about anything if they think it will get you to sign on the dotted line.

We are pretty easy going and pretty flexible travelers (jobs that are crazy for 10 months of the year but two months of flex)...

Flexibility is key to getting the most out of your vacation. It also helps if you can plan in a year or two in advance or make last minute reservations.

I see there seems to be an awareness of "bad mouthing" any option- again much appreciated- but any obvious issues with RCI a rookie should know?

Thanks all
totally psyched to own a timeshare:whoopie:

Personally I'm not a fan of RCI. I allowed my personal membership to drop and only maintain the corporate membership through our Hilton ownership and, I only maintain that because I can't get rid of it. It's included in our MF club dues that are mandatory. Still, I have have refused to deposit our HGVC interest with RCI and don't have any plans to change that in the next several years.

RCI or I.I. is a personal thing. There are just as many who prefer RCI over I.I. Again, you milage may vary.