• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lahaina Villas vs. Napili Villas

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

We've settled in to Napili Villas after leaving Lahaina Villas (our beloved 6206) and it is an interesting change.

For reference, we compared Kauai Lagoons 3BR to Lahaina Villas in this thread.

Similar to my experience in Kauai Lagoons, Napili Villas is noticeably smaller than Lahaina Villas. There are subtle tweaks in the room layout that we notice here that make the living area and bedrooms feel smaller. For comparison, the living area for Lahaina Villas is 20 x 26 flip flops, for 520 total ffs. The living area for Napili is 16x28, or 448 total ffs. It is disguised well, and the appearance of the two units is very similar in pictures, however some of the little things we really like about Lahaina Villas have been removed (there is no closet for our suitcases, there is no table behind the sofa for our keys/sunscreen, the shower is smaller, the second bedroom doesn't have a "slide-out", the drawers are smaller). These are tiny things, but it definitely lives smaller than Lahaina Villas.

The balcony however is noticeably bigger, both in terms of full extension to the end of the building and it is about two flip flops deeper, which makes it feel much larger. Additionally, the wall is a little shorter and the railing is a little taller, providing more visibility. So the balcony is better, but the living area is not as good.

We are just arrived, so I don't yet have a feel for proximity to BBQs and pools, and will look forward to seeing how that works. All in all, this is a great property!

Best,

Greg

taffy19

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

What floor are you on?

The 3 BR condos in the Lahaina tower are so nice and light and it must feel like being at home with so much space around you. The 2 BR condos still have a spacious feeling too but are darker but the view from the living room is spectacular. The corner 3 BR condo views are even better.

I felt the same when we were staying one night in a studio at the Molokai tower. You have the ocean right in front of you plus you see the long, wide beach and ocean plus a lot of lush greenery too from the side window. I love the large area of grass in the front of our resort. It gives that cool feeling and is so relaxing, IMO.

It's all about location and view plus a comfortable condo. For us, it doesn't have to be that luxurious but I love the resort atmosphere and the condos mostly are luxurious when you stay in a resort and I really like having a restaurant/bar on the premises too. It is convenient plus there are several here in walking distance which makes it even better.

Enjoy the the Fourth of July and then it is looking forward to next year already. :)

I wonder if there will be fireworks right in front of the resort?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
the living area for Lahaina Villas is 20 x 26 flip flops, for 520 total ffs. The living area for Napili is 16x28, or 448 total ffs.

Greg....are these "sober flip flops" where one foot is directly in front of the other, or "I am having a bit too much fun on vaca flip flops" where you likely would not pass the sobriety test, and perhaps the accuracy of the measurement must be questioned. :D

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg....are these "sober flip flops" where one foot is directly in front of the other, or "I am having a bit too much fun on vaca flip flops" where you likely would not pass the sobriety test, and perhaps the accuracy of the measurement must be questioned. :D

This is an excellent (and appropriate) question considering the amount of wine we shipped to Hawaii. However, these were sober flip flops as this is the kind of useless trivia that I like to collect. Perhaps I will change the unit of measure to sffs.

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Greg,

What floor are you on?

The 3 BR condos in the Lahaina tower are so nice and light and it must feel like being at home with so much space around you. The 2 BR condos still have a spacious feeling too but are darker but the view from the living room is spectacular. The corner 3 BR condo views are even better.

I felt the same when we were staying one night in a studio at the Molokai tower. You have the ocean right in front of you plus you see the long, wide beach and ocean plus a lot of lush greenery too from the side window. I love the large area of grass in the front of our resort. It gives that cool feeling and is so relaxing, IMO.

It's all about location and view plus a comfortable condo. For us, it doesn't have to be that luxurious but I love the resort atmosphere and the condos mostly are luxurious when you stay in a timeshare resort.

Enjoy the the Fourth of July and then it is looking forward to next year already. :)

I wonder if there will be fireworks right in front of the resort?

Hi Emmy, we are on the 6th floor, so it is an excellent comparator to Lahaina Villas. I agree with you about the corner units, they are very bright and I'm a big fan of the 3BR units. MOC is a lovely place!!

Best,

Greg

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Greg,

I wonder if this difference between Lahaina and Napili is limited to the 3BR units? I have never stayed in one of them. We own oceanfront 2BR and I have never felt that the 2BR units in Napili Villas seemed at all smaller. We actually prefer them.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
The initial brochures for the Lahaina and Napili units had floorplans with approximate square feet that varied between units and even between buildings (see my floor plans). So one would have to get out their tape measure to figure out the differences. I don't think there is a universal conversion formula for flip-flops. I only remember that there are 2.54 CM / Inch...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is an excellent (and appropriate) question considering the amount of wine we shipped to Hawaii. However, these were sober flip flops as this is the kind of useless trivia that I like to collect. Perhaps I will change the unit of measure to sffs.

Best,

Greg
Now I understand all the news reports about a wine shortage in North County.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Maybe it's just me but the last thing I plan to do on my next vacation to Hawaii is measure the hotel room. Enjoy your VACATION! Have FUN! See the BEACH! Come on man!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Maybe it's just me but the last thing I plan to do on my next vacation to Hawaii is measure the hotel room. Enjoy your VACATION! Have FUN! See the BEACH! Come on man!

When you're in Hawaii 11 months a year like Greg, things get mundane. :hysterical:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I am sure you are not alone, but others do find this rather interesting. I have spent time figuring out where certain unit types are located and different stuff that probably doesn't matter to most. A vacation, even as short as a week does have its down time in the unit. What better to do than learn more about what you own? No harm, no foul.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

If it's a matter of you not having the correct equipment I'm sure Greg will be happy to send you a pair of flip-flops certified for the job. :D

Everybody vacations differently, no harm no foul if you think taking flip-flop measurements is a little odd; I'm sure we all do something that others consider a little odd. Me, I love when Greg reports his flip-flopping all over every unit he ever stays in. It's a hysterical visual!

taffy19

Reaction score
He is having lots of fun enjoying his family and company and the beach and so much more. I have no doubt and Maui is a great place to be and certainly on Ka'anapali Beach. :D

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whodathunk that sq. ffs would be become a Greg-tested TUG-approved measurement. Greg, you really need to add a mini-tape measure to your travel essentials!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You didn't happen to use two different pairs of flip flops for the test? Or your flip flops for one unit and your Jonell's for another? That could account for the 16% difference in size?

gomike

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am here too, in Molokai tower though. Spending about 5 weeks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am here too, in Molokai tower though. Spending about 5 weeks.

Do you have the appropriate flip-flops? :D

Geeeeze, five weeks! "Lucky!" <--- said in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Somebody needs a life. I hear there is an ocean and maybe some sand near there. Easier to find than a tape measure. Sheesh!

gomike

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got some fruit by the foot

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg's "flip flops" definitely should be enshrined in TUGGER lore, just like the Smoots that measure the bridge across the Charles River at MIT. (Smoot was an MIT engineering student who lay down repeatedly so that his fraternity could measure the length of the bridge in units of his height, back in ancient days, i.e. the 50s) See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot.

Thank you Greg!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Somebody needs a life. I hear there is an ocean and maybe some sand near there. Easier to find than a tape measure. Sheesh!

Sorry you don't like my flip flop measurements -- love the Smoot reference, and yes, these are the same flip flops as last year, so there is integrity to the flip flop comparison!

Maui rocks -- picture attached should reassure Passepartout that life is terrific -- from our Trilogy trip.

Best,

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 176

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg,

I wonder if this difference between Lahaina and Napili is limited to the 3BR units? I have never stayed in one of them. We own oceanfront 2BR and I have never felt that the 2BR units in Napili Villas seemed at all smaller. We actually prefer them.

BocaBoy,

I do believe the difference is limited to the 3BR units, and I also think Napili Villas 2BR would be superior to the Lahaina Villas 2BR because the balcony view plane is better. I always wondered why they made the wall so high in Lahaina Villas, such that you can't see through it when sitting at the table (on most floors). I now realize they corrected this flaw and the Napili 2BR balconies must have better view plane.

I suspect that the 3BR living area in Napili is similar in size as the 2BR, and that only the Lahaina Villas 3BRs are oversized. I will step off a 2BR someday and will post the sffs.

My initial reaction as posted early on is unchanged -- Napili lives smaller than Lahaina, but the balcony is superior. I prefer the more shady Lahaina Villas grass and the BBQ structure, but being a little closer to Whalers Village and the better beach in front of Napili are very nice perks. These are both great units and I would be happy in either one.

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

A final measurement: the 2BR Island View in Napili that my brother is staying in (3308) measures the living area at 14 x 33 ffs. So at 462 ffs (give or take), it is approximately the same size as the 3BR in Napili. However, because the 3BR in Napili has similar furniture to the 3BR in Lahaina, the 2BR in Napili actually feels bigger to me than the 3BR in Napili.

Interesting stuff....(to me).

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Interesting stuff....(to me).

Greg....you are one square flip flop. ;)

Its posts like yours that give accountants a bad rap. :D

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg....you are one square flip flop. ;)

Its posts like yours that give accountants a bad rap. :D

Oh, it's a lot more than Greg's flip-flops. :D