• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Mid October

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
1st time Cancun travelers here..... :confused:
Looking for any "must do" or "must see" lists..... :whoopie:
Do we book tours before we go, or would you suggest book them at Lagunamar??? :shrug: If book them before, any tour company better than the other??? :doh: any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
thanks
mitch

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you see the answers to your other post about tours on the TUG Mexico board?

Lagunamar is a brand new resort and hardly anyone has been there, so I think the TUG Mexico board is the best place for you to ask general touring questions. Would you like me to move your post there?

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
SWIMMING WITH THE DOLPHINS!!!

You can do it for about 1/2 the price in Mexico of what they charge in Orlando! This is something you MUST DO at least once in your life!!!!!!!

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always do the jet ski/snorkling tour. We also love going to Coba and viewing the ruins. Last trip we did a jungle tour to see the Jaguars and monkeys, with a stop at a mayan Village. Real eye opening, especially for the kids.

island22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend going down the coast for a day, rent a car for a day, if you are comfortable with that and drive down south to Tulum to see the only Mayan ruins that are on the coast. Bring your bathing suit and go for a swim after touring the ruins. The beach there is beautiful.

On the way back you could stop in Playa del Carmen for lunch and a little shopping.

If you like you to snorkel, there are a bunch on places along the way to stop and snorkel, Paamul is just south of Playa del Carmen, and a little further down is Yakul. There is always Xcaret to check out too. It is an mayan eco-park down that way. You can snorkel there and float in the underground river system, and cenotes.

If you would rather take a bus trip than renting a car, that is also a possiblity, many places have tours that would take you from Cancun to Tulum or Xcaret for the day if you aren't comfortable venturing out on your own in a car. But the MX 307 is a 4 lane divided highway and it is a relatively easy drive.
Enjoy!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have rented a car and headed down to Tulum too. Playa Del Carmen is great for shopping. Xcaret is also a great stop down there.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of our highlights from Cancun were an overnight trip to Chichen Itza and clubbing at Cocobongo. The experience of visiting Chichen Itza and staying overnight at the Mayaland Hotel is one I would repeat in a heartbeat. Cocobongo's a fantastic experience that everyone that is young at heart (we are in our 50's) should do.

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airport Transportation

we have decided not to rent a car (i thinkg lol) and we got this (see below) in an email from concieger at WLR ... anyone else have any suggestions?

We work with a great travel agency named CHE Travel that gives us a special price for our guests. It’s 35usd for 1 to 4 people for one way. (the cheapest taxi at the airport is 55usd) and also the advantage of having someone already waiting for you at the airport that will help you with your luggage and helping you avoiding the crowds over there. If you like to arrange it you just have to reply me and CHE Travel chetravel@hotmail.com with your flight info and we will very happy to give you a VIP service.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to use this service...Cancun Transfers.

We went to Cancun, Puerto Morelos and Cozumel earlier this year and used them every time we needed to get anywhere by car. They are by far the cheapest and I can vouch for their reliability. I highly recommend them and will be using them every time I return to Cancun!

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only 12 more days...

but i'm not counting :banana:
any other tuggers heading to WLR soon???

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
we will be at Westin hotel 12/24- 12/27 then Lagunamar 12/27-1/3.

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, our time is getting close enough for the View attachment 541 :annoyed:

So... after looking at the forecast I thought I would reach out the the positive, lift me up spirit of everyone here.. :rolleyes: for a little pep talk...

With or without your encouragement.... WE'RE on the plane THIS FRIDAY :banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Showers shmowers. You don't care about no stinking rain.:rofl:

Think positive thoughts. :cheer: Really, how many times are weatherman right anyway? You know you'll have fun rain or shine.:wave:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
That's not rain all day rain. That's "it might rain if the big white puffy clouds get close enough together" rain. And if it's not thundering, it's still warm enough to be at the pool. The swim up bar has a roof.

cooldj23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Review of Starwood Cancun Westin Lagunamar Resort

My wife and I returned from a week in Cancun at the Lagunamar from 10/3 to 10/10. We traded in using our Florida VV resort staroption. Below is a link to my review which I just posted on my web site. This was our first trip to Mexico and an exploratory trip in preparation for our trip with friends next May. Anyway - I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

http://stephenputnam.com/timeshare.aspx

pizzaiolo

Reaction score
Photos from 10/4 to 10/11 at Westin Lagunamar

I've uploaded some photos to give you an idea of the resort, since the SVO website still doesn't have any: http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=navi97.3qmn94cj&Uy=-652jgu&Ux=0

The resort is amazing! We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation overall, and the resort staff was exceptional! We made lasting friendships with most of the staff, who clearly aim to please, and the facilities were top shelf. The food at the resort's Oceania restaurant was outstanding, as was the food at the poolside outdoor grill. We had one rather significant safety issue during a lengthy power outage at the resort that we're taking up with the SVO management, but assuming they fix the void, we'd go back in a heartbeat.

There are two outdoor BBQ areas-tables, three gas grills and sinks on each side of the grounds. The small store at the street level (take the elevator to the bottom and turn right) has staples and liquor. We bought bacon, eggs, bagels and butter, borrowed two large frying pans from the restaurant manager, and cooked up breakfast on one of the grills. On his own, a staff member walking by went and got two umbrellas for us.

If you go to Westin Lagunamar, please be sure to tell Marco and French Fry at the swim-up bar that "El Jefe" said hello and you're sure to get exceptional, friendly treatment. And tip them well, they deserve it!

Aside from visits to the modern outdoor shopping complex that's right across the street (with some good restaurants, ice cream, martini bar, etc), we only left the resort three times.

We did the "jungle snorkeling/boat" tour which was fun-especially driving our own little power boats. The actual snorkeling wasn't great because the part of the world's second largest natural reef we were taken to was mostly dead from the last hurricane. But the boat trip was worth the price.

We also went to Harrry's Prime Steakhouse and Raw Bar for my wife's birthday. The waiter asked if we were there for any special occasion, and when he found out, they surprised her by having the full wait staff parade over with a cake, singing happy birthday. I'll share a funny little story: my nickname for my wife, Beth, is Lizard. The waiter secretly asked my daughter my wife's name, and when they came to sing, the cake and the song both said Happy Birthday Dear Iguana:hysterical: Then they gave each of us our choice of an after dinner drink, followed by complementary cotton candy...all gratis! By the way, the filet mignon was the best I've had...ever!

Our third venture away from the resort was to the shopping district in downtown Cancun centro. We were the only tourists there at the time so we were inundated by the vendors. That was a bust, and after a quick swing through the area we returned to our resort.

The bus stop is right out in front of the resort. This is the best and cheapest way to go--only about 65 cents per rider (only pesos are accepted), the buses are modern and clean, the people are all friendly, and they're very efficient.

Feel free to email me or post questions you may have. Enjoy your vacation at the Westin Lagunamar, you'll have a wonderful time !

Last edited:

colmo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome pictures - the pool and swim up bar look amazing!
That's the first I've seen or heard of the giant waterslide. It looks so cool.

I can't wait until we go in January.