• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kudos to the Lagunamar BOD

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
May 26, 2023 BOD minutes, (my selection):

as of April 2023
"• Cumulative Operating Fund balance reflected a surplus of $2 million.
• Year-to-date results reflected a surplus of $500,000 driven by:
o Savings of $8,000 in Front Desk and $61,000 in Housekeeping
o Credit card expense savings of $74,000 driven by allocation credit card fees to the exchange company”

So, some of the surpluses arise from significant savings in housekeeping costs. It seems to be associated with Marriott now covering their daily cleaning expenses (Marriott.com and sales tours bookings) and additional cleaning when they permit short-term bookings, as they bragged about that they are included in the Abound fees, and free for the owners. I arrived to this conclusion because in the 2024 Lagunamar bills it is mentioned that Marriott now covers those additional costs.

Another line that drew my attention was “Credit card expense savings of $74,000 driven by allocating credit card fees to the exchange company.” Credit card expenses from Marriott guests should be separate from those incurred by the owners. When a Marriott guests pay the rack price at the resort during check-out, owners shouldn't be responsible for the credit card fees associated with their accommodation and food. I appreciate the ambiguity maintained by referring to the 'exchange company', as they seem to avoid naming MVC directly (the minutes are written by Marriott employees LOL). I wonder how many years back they can recover these fees, as merely changing the process going forward is not sufficient.

Kudos to the members of the Board of Directors for resolving these significant issues.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another line that drew my attention was “Credit card expense savings of $74,000 driven by allocating credit card fees to the exchange company.” Credit card expenses from Marriott guests should be separate from those incurred by the owners. When a Marriott guests pay the rack price at the resort during check-out, owners shouldn't be responsible for the credit card fees associated with their accommodation and food. I appreciate the ambiguity maintained by referring to the 'exchange company', as they seem to avoid naming MVC directly (the minutes are written by Marriott employees LOL). I wonder how many years back they can recover these fees, as merely changing the process going forward is not sufficient.
This is what happens when the developer is running the show. Pocket the profits for outside rental and marketing and offload some the cost to the HOA. Eating the pie because I can.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Now let’s see it translate to a lower maintenance fee.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now let’s see it translate to a lower maintenance fee.

The resort seems to have been operating at a surplus for the last few years, yet that has not resulted in lower maintenance fees. I wonder what the reasoning behind this is.