• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kona Hawaiian Village vs Royal Sea Cliff

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm trying to finalize a nine night stay in Kona next April. I can get the first five nites at KHV, which we've stayed at before and like very much. The next four nites I can get either at KHV or Royal Sea Cliff (1br). I've never stayed at RSC but am intrigued at the oceanfront location and just a change of scenary although the 1br might be a bit cramped for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. Since we'd probably have to change units even if staying at KHV throughout, the moving hassle is about the same for either option. Any thoughts from those that have stayed at both locations?

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved the Royal Sea Cliff ... because its on the beach side and I had an ocean front room (maybe I am biased :D ). However I did stay 2 days at Kona and it was a nice large resort with great amenities and also its a little newer looking.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at both, and I like both for different reasons. The views at RSC are amazing, and the units are nice as well. However, as someone who stayed with a toddler, I think KHV is a better choice. The grounds are much more child-friendly, and the pool areas are significantly better for toddlers. RSC has so many stairs and not a lot of space where kids can get their energy out. The spread out grounds at KHV are perfect for running and playing. They also seemed to have more activities for kids at KHV. The only negative is that the two bedroom units don't have good bathtubs for kids. The master bath has a giant claw-footed tub with really high sides, and the second bath just had a shower. RSC had a regular tub which made bathing my daughter much easier. However, I am not sure what a one-bedroom would have. With two small children, having the second bedroom would be great.

randyz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at both (and own at both). KHV is generally nicer accomodations IMHO, especially the large lanai's. My summary of the key differences:

KHV:
- More kid friendly grounds.
- Easier room access (ie car park near the door)
- village atmosphere (vs. condo atmosphere at RSC)

RSC
- Ocean views from some rooms
- Room access from underground parkade can involve lots of stairs (or slow elevator)
- 2 pools on the ocean.
- availability of 1 and 3 bedrooms, KHV only 2 bedrooms.
- and one last often overlooked advantage the 2nd bedroom has 2 double beds like most FSP resorts. (KHV 2nd bedroom is a Queen bed only) This can be critical if you have 2 teens etc..
- RSC is only partial FSP owned, still has private owners and Outrigger involvement. I suspect this is why the activities are better at KHV and certainly better attended.

Randy