• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Koala Booking-Advise/Experience

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It works no differently than Airbnb or Vrbo. Guests don't get printed confirmations there other than what Airbnb or Vrbo shows them on their website. You are putting trust in the third party company to make sure things are right. And in the case of these two sites and Koala, the owner doesn't get paid until after checkin. Also realize, that most people don't print things out anymore and their target market is not necessarily your generation.
I get the sense it isn't any different than, say, Expedia. You get a confirmation from Expedia, but not from the hotel itself. In some cases, your name isn't even sent to the hotel until much later, because Expedia has a block of rooms to sell, and that block is theirs, so they don't need to. Most rank-and-file guests have no idea how complicated things are in the background, they just know that they have a "confirmation" from Expedia.

With age and 100s of thousands of miles of business travel, comes experience and wisdom. One of my last hotel bookings with Expedia was for a business conference about 15 years ago. I arrive at the downtown hotel, and they have no record of a reservation. I open by briefcase (I know, "my generation") and pull out the file folder with my printed confirmation. They still could not find my reservation, but it had enough information that I received a room for three days. Fortunately, it was early afternoon and there was a room available; maybe someone checking-in after 10 p.m. did not get a room when their reservation could not be found.

Just this last summer, I arrive at the Super 8 in Boise, ID. The 20-something clerk, who did not seem particularly motivated that day, could not find a reservation using my name, "Sorry, sir, there is no record of a reservation in your name" and that was the end of the conversation. I go out to the car, retrieve my laptop, and show the clerk the confirmation .pdf I saved, with my name on it, when I booked the room. Problem, reluctantly, solved with no apology. Kids these days ...

I have always, in 30 years of travel, received a confirmation with my name on it when I booked the reservation. Sometimes I call ahead to confirm a reservation or with a room request. They have my name on the reservation then.

Maybe it is because there are no charges for guest certificates at the places I stay.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
With age and 100s of thousands of miles of business travel, comes experience and wisdom. One of my last hotel bookings with Expedia was for a business conference about 15 years ago. I arrive at the downtown hotel, and they have no record of a reservation. I open by briefcase (I know, "my generation") and pull out the file folder with my printed confirmation. They still could not find my reservation, but it had enough information that I received a room for three days. Fortunately, it was early afternoon and there was a room available; maybe someone checking-in after 10 p.m. did not get a room when their reservation could not be found.

Just this last summer, I arrive at the Super 8 in Boise, ID. The 20-something clerk, who did not seem particularly motivated that day, could not find a reservation using my name, "Sorry, sir, there is no record of a reservation in your name" and that was the end of the conversation. I go out to the car, retrieve my laptop, and show the clerk the confirmation .pdf I saved, with my name on it, when I booked the room. Problem, reluctantly, solved with no apology. Kids these days ...

I have always, in 30 years of travel, received a confirmation with my name on it when I booked the reservation. Sometimes I call ahead to confirm a reservation or with a room request. They have my name on the reservation then.

Maybe it is because there are no charges for guest certificates at the places I stay.
Yes, but through VRBO or Airbnb, the confirmation will not look like the confirmation the owner who listed the timeshare sees. That is the point. It's unclear to me why you think they would get the exact confirmation from Westin, Marriott or Wyndham, or whatever company the owner is booking and renting. There is too much info on most of those on the owner, making the owner less than anonymous.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but through VRBO or Airbnb, the confirmation will not look like the confirmation the owner who listed the timeshare sees. That is the point. It's unclear to me why you think they would get the exact confirmation from Westin, Marriott or Wyndham, or whatever company the owner is booking and renting. There is too much info on most of those on the owner, making the owner less than anonymous.
It is unclear to me why you think I expect "the exact confirmation from Westin, Marriott or Wyndham, or whatever company the owner is booking and renting." I just want a guaranteed confirmation with my name on it when I book an accomodation.

I have never rented a timeshare through a third-party (other than II or RCI, where I am provided a confirmation in my name at payment), so I do not have any idea how it works. If these third party sites are selling these reservations months ahead of time, but not requiring the guest name to be added until the last possible date -- 15 days in the case of Club Wyndham -- that seems like a shady business practice. What do these customers receive at the time they pay for a booking?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It is unclear to me why you think I expect "the exact confirmation from Westin, Marriott or Wyndham, or whatever company the owner is booking and renting." I just want a guaranteed confirmation with my name on it when I book an accomodation.

I have never rented a timeshare through a third-party (other than II or RCI, where I am provided a confirmation in my name at payment), so I do not have any idea how it works. If these third party sites are selling these reservations months ahead of time, but not requiring the guest name to be added until the last possible date -- 15 days in the case of Club Wyndham -- that seems like a shady business practice. What do these customers receive at the time they pay for a booking?
I never rent timeshare myself, I rent them out, but I am never a customer. I assume they get a piece of paper, just like they would with my Westin studio I rented via Redweek.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm not sure if it's lack of experience/knowledge, the personality type, laziness, a generational thing or some/all of the above.

I've heard of and read about a number of bad experiences with the various rental sites. In our travels I've witnessed people dealing with problems that could've easily been dealt with or avoided had they been smarter.

I put all my email confirmations for a trip, accommodations, flight, rental car, show reservations, etc. in a folder in my email. That way I can easily find them when or if I need them. I'll also take a couple of minutes to make a phone call or two to check something out or confirm something. No matter how well prepared you are it's inevitable that sooner or later you'll encounter a problem. However you'll be better able to satisfactorily resolve the problem and quicker too.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

You will receive a confirmation from Koala when the owner confirms the booking. You will be able to see it online, do a screenshot, even print it on paper. It won't have the Wyndham booking number on it, but it will have your name. You seem to be thinking you get nothing when you make a reservation through them, just a blank screen?

For the most part, the reservation not being in the guest name yet is invisible to the guest. Wyndham is somewhat unique in that they charge for guest certificates or take a free GC credit. Owners don't want to burn them in the event the guest cancels outside the no refund window. For Marriott and most other systems, the guest name would be added at the time the owner confirms the reservation. That said, it wouldn't look any different from a Wyndham reservation on the Koala site.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Koala verifies all rental listings for time shares. It is done as part of the listing process. No listing goes live until they have received the appropriate forms from the owner. This information is reviewed by someone at Koala for accuracy as the final step. This process has taken as long as 5 days during busy times.
These steps are transparent to the renter. Some resorts I list with Koala, rent every year. Some resorts have received no interest at Koala. The ease of the process at Koala is incredible.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will receive a confirmation from Koala when the owner confirms the booking. You will be able to see it online, do a screenshot, even print it on paper. It won't have the Wyndham booking number on it, but it will have your name. You seem to be thinking you get nothing when you make a reservation through them, just a blank screen?
Please explain how this is possible when the Club Wyndham owner does not add the guest name (and this is apparently common practice) until near the 15-day refund window, weeks or months after the reservation was booked through Koala?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the most part, the reservation not being in the guest name yet is invisible to the guest. Wyndham is somewhat unique in that they charge for guest certificates or take a free GC credit. Owners don't want to burn them in the event the guest cancels outside the no refund window.
Does Koala disclose this shady arrangement to the booking guest -- that they do not actually have a reservation, but instead have a "reservation for a reservation to be named in the future"?

"Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: - I don't think you do.

Jerry: See, you know how to take the reservation. You just don't know how to hold the reservation. And that REALLY is the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can take 'em."

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does Koala disclose this shady arrangement to the booking guest -- that they do not actually have a reservation, but instead have a "reservation for a reservation to be named in the future"?

"Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: - I don't think you do.

Jerry: See, you know how to take the reservation. You just don't know how to hold the reservation. And that REALLY is the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can take 'em."

A reservation with Club Wyndham does exist.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
A reservation with Club Wyndham does exist.
You must not be a Club Wyndham owner. Every booking I have made as a Club Wyndham owner definitely "exists" from the moment of booking; that is a fact not an existential question.

Are you suggesting Koala is brokering Club Wyndham reservations that do not exist? Or do not exist in the name of the party who purchased the reservation from Koala and only think they have a guaranteed reservation?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You must not be a Club Wyndham owner. Every booking I have made as a Club Wyndham owner definitely "exists" from the moment of booking; that is a fact not an existential question.

Are you suggesting Koala is brokering Club Wyndham reservations that do not exist? Or do not exist in the name of the party who purchased the reservation from Koala and only think they have a guaranteed reservation?
I am not sure what you are really trying to ask, you seem biased by the fact that Koala facilitates owner rentals. You asked Does Koala disclose this shady arrangement to the booking guest -- that they do not actually have a reservation, but instead have a "reservation for a reservation to be named in the future"?" and I answered. The reservation exists. Just like any reservation that an owner controls, it could be cancelled later by a shady owner or even by Wyndham if they suspect commercial activity. It really doesn't matter when the name gets added on the Wyndham side, does it?

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservation exists and is guaranteed. Just like any reservation that an owner controls, it could be cancelled later by a shady owner or even by Wyndham if they suspect commercial activity. It really doesn't matter when the name gets added on the Wyndham side, does it?
Thanks for confirming that the whole arrangement is entirely shady and at the whim of Club Wyndham or the Club Wyndham owner. If only Koala would be so honest with their customers.

To address the subject of this thread, there is no way I would have anything to do with Koala. Waaaaay too much shady practices possible on all sides, with the customer left holding the bag.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for confirming that the whole arrangement is entirely shady and at the whim of Club Wyndham or the Club Wyndham owner. If only Koala would be so honest with their customers.

To address the subject of this thread, there is no way I would have anything to do with Koala. Waaaaay too much shady practices possible on all sides, with the customer left holding the bag.
I am not sure what you think is shady about this? You never answered the last question. You seem so mad about it that you could spit. I don't get it. Is your bias against owner rentals that bad?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Concerned with a booking we recently made through Koala. It is for a week in April that according to this link below, is considered a blackout period? I think that is how I'm understanding it. However, there seems to be a clause that the owner can do 2 guest certificates during these dates, and if that is the case, should we be, okay?

I'm worried that our family of 4 will show up with a confirmation from Koala in hand, but Wyndham cancelling the reservation b/c we are guest during these dates. Anyone have any knowledge on this topic? It is for Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek (specifically).

Thank you all!
Hope it does not turn out like a Seinfeld episode. Definitely, let us know!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm worried that our family of 4 will show up with a confirmation from Koala in hand, but Wyndham cancelling the reservation b/c we are guest during these dates. Anyone have any knowledge on this topic?
By now it should be clear you should be asking some very specific questions with Koala about if your reservation lists you as the "guest" or if it a a "reservation to be named in the future". You may show up with a "confirmation from Koala" that is worthless.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
By now it should be clear you should be asking some very specific questions with Koala about if your reservation lists you as the "guest" or if it a a "reservation to be named in the future". You may show up with a "confirmation from Koala" that is worthless.
As long as it is named prior to arrival, all is good. This doesn't seem to be a prolific problem or we would be hearing more about it. You are making something out of nothing because of your hatred of owner rentals.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as it is named prior to arrival, all is good. This doesn't seem to be a prolific problem or we would be hearing more about it. You are making something out of nothing because of your hatred of owner rentals.
No, I just want to know Koala's terms and conditions, just like post number 1, which no one on TUG, apparently, can answer with authority and responsibility -- certainly not you.

Which is why I offered some very poignant questions to ask Koala.com, the only source who can at least fake an answer, if Koala does not require a Club Wyndham reservation documented in the name of the customer who paid for it at the time of payment.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No, I just want to know Koala's terms and conditions, just like post number 1, which no one on TUG, apparently, can answer with authority and responsibility -- certainly not you.

Which is why I offered some very poignant questions to ask Koala.com, the only source who can at least fake an answer, if Koala does not require a Club Wyndham reservation documented in the name of the customer who paid for it at the time of payment.
If you want to know so bad, you can always ask them yourself instead of relying on random people on the internet.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to know so bad, you can always ask them yourself instead of relying on random people on the internet.
Since, after this thread (and probably before), I would have nothing to do with Koala, the suggestion is moot.

After this thread, if I were the OP, I would be very concerned about my reservation.

There are a whole world of more reliable sources of accommodations.

I hope is works out for the OP, but why did they ask? Cetainly no guarantees considering the circumstances. Koala probably cannot provide an answer or guarantee. Back to Seinfeld ..

WManning

Reaction score
Really? And the customer just has to "trust" they actually have a reservation?

This cannot possibly be a realistic business practice.

I mean really, if I do not have have a legitimate confirmation for a reservation IN MY NAME, that I can printout on my computer when I book a reservation, just like any hotel reservation, why would I NOT think it was some kind of scam?
A confirmation in your name is comforting but the owner can still cancel reservation at any time. I would recommend to call and confirm with resort a reservation is in place 1 month out and the night before travel. There are no guarantees when dealing with anyone direct or a third party. Maintenance fees can be a issue if not paid and reservations can be canceled if in arrears. Would you suggest OP may be better off becoming a Wyndham owner to be sure reservation is in place?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A confirmation in your name is comforting but the owner can still cancel reservation at any time. I would recommend to call and confirm with resort a reservation is in place 1 month out and the night before travel. There are no guarantees when dealing with anyone direct or a third party. Maintenance fees can be a issue if not paid and reservations can be canceled if in arrears. Would you suggest OP may be better off becoming a Wyndham owner to be sure reservation is in place?
I have points I am just giving away, but it does take months to transfer them. It's not a fast process.

Wyndham can be a great product for vacations, but hey, I am just the woman trying to give it away, so what do I know. But I am keeping many of my points.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
@CO skier isn't wrong about the risks of renting from an owner and the increased risks when renting through a third party. When it comes to renting and Wyndham that increases the risks even more!

I could give numerous examples of the different issues renters and rentees have encountered. I could also go into a long and detailed explanation of all the hows and whys. It would literally take me several hours to get it all down in a post and that post would be so long no one would want to read it!

@rickandcindy23 is correct about saying the least amount of risk is being an owner and in control of your own reservations. However, we're talking Wyndham here so of course there's howevers! Owners have had reservations disappear from their account and no one could tell why it happened. It sometimes happens that an owner will arrive at the resort only to be told there's no reservation in the resort's system for them. Owners have had reservations cancelled both for reasons and accidentally. Owners have received 1-2 days notice that their upgrade was being taken away or arrived at resorts to find out they weren't getting their upgrade.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Great points. Overall. It all boils down to trust. Koala has a reputation to uphold. They go to great lengths to ensure the reservations are good. I believe they guarantee them? Sad as it might be, you would at least get your money back if it fell through. Most people don't understand the ins and out of all that. As we can see, there are people posting that don't understand (and yet offer their biased opinion - no doubt instilling fear in the poor OP's mind). Water main breaks and overbooking occur, too. Hurricanes, too. (And, yup, all the things Jan said).

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
@Sandi Bo mentions trust. Wyndham's forced owners who rented out of business. Those owners had renters who trusted them. A large number of those renters are having to go through the various rental sites if they want to continue staying at the Wyndham resorts. Btw for those who don't know, Wyndham turns a large portion of their own rentals and the listings owners gave to Extra Holidays over to the various rental sites.

If I was asked about trusting the various rental sites this is how I would respond.

1. If this is an expensive stay and especially if you're also paying for flights and a rental car then purchase trip insurance!
2. If you don't have an email with the resort name, the dates, a confirmation number and your name on the reservation confirmation then you don't actually have a confirmed reservation in your name. Think about it. You have emails for flights, rental cars, show tickets, etc. that all have that.
3. Once you do have that email in two days call the resort to confirm that they see a reservation in your name.
4. Before you begin your drive to the resort or leave for the airport call again to make sure they still have a reservation in your name and write down the name of the person you spoke with.

There's always elements of risk in more than just our accommodations. The flight could get cancelled, the car could break down, the rental car company might not have a vehicle for us, the list goes on. Being smart about the companies you use and being well prepared is important but stuff can still happen. Sometimes it's just your turn to have something go wrong.