• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina here we come !!

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our trip is fast approaching for Ko Olina. We leave on 9/12 only 16 more days.

I think all of our plans are in place.

• We're staying in a studio lockoff. I've called frequently about an upgrade. However there are no units available.
  • I'm just wishing we had a unit with a washer/dryer. I was hoping to pack lightly. Are their any laundry facilities available for studio units?
  • We've made reservations for the Fia, Fia.
  • Purchased a dinner for two certificate. Any suggestions on which restaurant we should celebrate and use our dinner for two.
  • I've researched discount coupons through interval's entertainment on line book.
  • Still need to sign up for a Safeway card.
  • Rented a car.
  • Managed to use frequent flyer miles for a great price on 2 round trip tickets.
  • My fears are the long flight . Plan to purchase compression stockings and take low dose aspirin before flying.
  • Since I have MS, I never know one day to the next how these legs will act.
  • I've rented a scooter, requested a handicapped accessible room.
If you have any other suggestions for making this the perfect trip, I'd appreciate your input.

We'll be celebrating our 40th Anniversary and enjoying the wonderful resort. Betty:cheer:

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our trip is fast approaching for Ko Olina. We leave on 9/12 only 16 more days.

[*]I'm just wishing we had a unit with a washer/dryer. I was hoping to pack lightly. Are their any laundry facilities available for studio units? When we were there we were in a studio and used the washer dryer that was located on our floor.
We'll be celebrating our 40th Anniversary and enjoying the wonderful resort. Betty:cheer:

Congratulations and have a great time!

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are at KoOlina now. 2nd year in a row. I have to say this is absolutely the most beautiful Marriott we stayed at. We also spent a few days in Kaui at the Marriott Waihoi.

Just saw the Fia Fia. Excellent show. You will totally love it. They have the people celebrating anniversays go on stage.

Enjoy!!!!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Anniversity!!! Please tell us all about your trip upon return!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Betty- happy anniversary! You probably know this already, but if not, just make sure to move your legs around every half hour or so- tap your toes, lift your ankles up, alternately elevate your knees, straighten/bend your knees- these are some of the best things you can do to prevent any problems. Every 2 hours or so make sure to get up and walk a little. My eighty year old parents made the flight from the East coast without a problem doing this (their only problem was me nagging them to exercise ;) ).

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Ko-Olina last July 07 in a lock off. It was our first Marriott trade and our first time to Hawaii.
There are laundry facilities in each building. Don't bring detergent with you as it contains something that is banned. We learned that when we flew from Oahu to Maui for our second week.
Since you have a car rented I would happily suggest that you drive up to the the north shore. It is a wonderful drive. Pack a cooler with ice and stop at the shrimp ponds up in the vicinity of Sunset beach, Kahuku and Laie (I think). Throw them on the wonderfull grills back at the resort. It is a fun gathering spot to meet people.
Take time to stop at random beaches in that area and the Haleiwa area and look for sea turtles. The resort does sponsor day trips using the small tourist vans. It was a good introduction.
Pearl Harbor is of course not to be missed.
We had a wonderful informative Marriott rep at our promotional meeting. Her name was Francois (sp). She gave us suggestions regarding which MVCI resorts to stay at in the future, which buildings to avoid, etc. Can't say enough good things about her.
I agree with everyone, Ko-Olina is the greatest. We look forward to going again, staying in a larger unit, and seeing all the things we missed and all the places we want to see again.
Enjoy.
Deb

madra dubh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have any other suggestions for making this the perfect trip, I'd appreciate your input.

Happy Anniversary. A trip to Ko'Olina is a wonderful way to celebrate your accomplishment!

Drive up the coast to the state park beach at Keana Point (North of the town of Makaha). This is a beautiful, little, uncrowded beach. The view back down the coast to Ko'Olina is lovely. The green mountains behind the beach are stunning. There are Life Guards, but other than rest rooms, there aren't any facilities. So pack a lunch and enjoy.
Regards,
Maureen

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanx for all of your advise. I love the shrimp idea. What a relief to hear there are laundry facilities, it will make packing so much easier.

Any suggestions on which restaurant we should use our dinner for 2 certificate at?

Thanx again. Betty

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Thanx for all of your advise. I love the shrimp idea. What a relief to hear there are laundry facilities, it will make packing so much easier.

Any suggestions on which restaurant we should use our dinner for 2 certificate at?

Thanx again. Betty

We love the Japanese restuarant, good food and a nice spot for a romantic evening

Try the buffet night

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Betty-
The dinner for two certificate isn't valid at Marriott Vacation Club locations so you can't use it at the Ko'Olina Beach Club. The JW Marriott hotel has a couple of restaurants, but Azul is excluded. You best option might be Naupaka Terrace, a open-air restaurant by the pool. I've had lunch there a couple of times and the food was good. If you do a search on this site I think someone posted their menu a few months ago.

Congratulations on the anniversary and enjoy the trip!

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Betty,

A 40th anniversary, how wonderful!! Congratulations to you and DH!:)

If you'd like a bigger unit, try searching in the early a.m. I just saw a 1BR with a Sept 14 check-in. The 1 and 2BR units are available, usually for only a short time (sometimes only minutes), but if you are vigilant you may find one with your check-in day. Last minute 2BR finds seem to be becoming more common (in Hawaii, anyway) IMO. We did that with a July 4 studio and found a (2) 2BRs with the same check-in so we upgraded. It was well worth the additional exchange fee; however, we would have happily stayed in the studio. What is your check-in day? If I find something I'll send you a PM.

Kate

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kate, Thanx for the help! Our check in date is 9/12/08 - 9/20/08. We are staying for 8 days due to better airline prices.

I will definitely start checking in the early AM. There is still time for a miracle.

I plan on calling the JW Marriott to check which restaurants accept 2/1 certificates.

Thanx again for everyones help. Betty

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kate, Thanx for the help! Our check in date is 9/12/08 - 9/20/08. We are staying for 8 days due to better airline prices.

I will definitely start checking in the early AM. There is still time for a miracle.

I plan on calling the JW Marriott to check which restaurants accept 2/1 certificates.

Thanx again for everyones help. Betty

Please let us know what you find out - regarding using the certificates at JW or anywhere near KoOlina. I'm giving my niece a ts unit at KoOlina to use for her honneymoon in October. I'd like to also give her a dinner certificate if it is worth the money.

taffy19

Reaction score
Betty- happy anniversary! You probably know this already, but if not, just make sure to move your legs around every half hour or so- tap your toes, lift your ankles up, alternately elevate your knees, straighten/bend your knees- these are some of the best things you can do to prevent any problems. Every 2 hours or so make sure to get up and walk a little. My eighty year old parents made the flight from the East coast without a problem doing this (their only problem was me nagging them to exercise ;) ).
Good advice and also to drink lots of water besides a glass of wine or any other drink but sparingly. I hope it will be the best anniversary ever for Betty and her husband. We like the action at Waikiki Beach and can highly recommend it for one day and evening. A visit to Pearl Harbor and the Royal Palace are a must see and there is more. For the rest of the time, the beautiful scenery and less crowded beaches are the way to go. The resort is beautiful now the landscaping has matured.

bafriend2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kate, Called interval Marriott desk first thing this AM. There were no upgrades available.

I'll keep trying thanx for your advice. Betty

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kate, Called interval Marriott desk first thing this AM. There were no upgrades available.

I guess I forgot to mention that you need to act immediately. A friend and I were shopping once at Filene's Basement and she said "Don't put it down -- it won't be there when you go back." Same thing with upgrades. Call II without delay as soon as you find it. They wouldn't have it in the AM b/c someone probably claimed it within hours if not minutes. Highly coveted larger units at KoOlina won't last long!

Did you post to the sightings board with a request? Certainly couldn't hurt.:)

Good luck!