• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina Beach Club

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Well..........it looks like I may be a Marriott owner finally.......won an e-bay auction EOY odd. Everything works out fine except the seller has not been responsive about the type unit (view). I have called and e-mailed before and after the auction with no response. Yes....of course I got the bill immediately. Can Ko Olina owners tell me what unit.... 0702 week 27, for deeding(in contract).... is???? Sounds like a ground floor and I could end up with the refinnery (that is commonly spoken of here) from the ground. I don't mind an island view but am a little concerned because this seller has not responded. The auction ended last night and the contract says I have ten days to opt out! Reading TUG comments on pricing encouraged me to make the move...price seemed ok...but did take a chance!

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well..........it looks like I may be a Marriott owner finally.......won an e-bay auction EOY odd. Everything works out fine except the seller has not been responsive about the type unit (view). I have called and e-mailed before and after the auction with no response. Yes....of course I got the bill immediately. Can Ko Olina owners tell me what unit.... 0702 week 27, for deeding(in contract).... is???? Sounds like a ground floor and I could end up with the refinnery (that is commonly spoken of here) from the ground. I don't mind an island view but am a little concerned because this seller has not responded. The auction ended last night and the contract says I have ten days to opt out! Reading TUG comments on pricing encouraged me to make the move...price seemed ok...but did take a chance!

Jim

WOW! You actually bid on a Villa without knowing the view you would be buying?:shrug:

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
EBay auctions on timeshares are nonbinding. I would respond to the seller that you will not pay your deposit until he starts answering your questions. I had seen this eBay listing and I always assume if its not listed its the cheapest view category. I think if bid with that assuption you're okay. If it turns out it was am ocean view that's a bonus. Hope this closing works out for you, Ko Olina is a great property.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I believe that is a Mountain View in the original building 0702 to me means that it is the 7th floor, of Building 0 (which is Hale Kona). Room 02 is a Mountain view (I believe).

That would be a floating unit, so you could be in any of the Mountain Views, some of which are very very nice. As an owner, you would have a preference for floor.

If you got a price you are happy with, I think that is terrific. I believe EOY Mountain Views have been selling for $4,000 -- $6,000, but others will correct me if my memory is rusty.

Good luck and enjoy your property, if things go well from here!

Best,

Greg

golf4hrs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
If you can get the previous owner's name or deed number, then I would pull the Hawaii timeshare recording at:

https://boc.ehawaii.gov/docsearch/nameSearch.html.

The deed will either say Makai (Ocean View) or Mauka (Moutainview). There will be a small handling fee. You might be also interested in what the previous owner paid and make you :)

You will need to search later at the same web site for your final deed recording, if the sale goes through. It does take some time to appear on the web, after the actual recording date.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
WOW! You actually bid on a Villa without knowing the view you would be buying?:shrug:

Yes, I did! My reasoning was that even thou I like ocean views ...to get a bargain on this property I was willing to take a chance. Mountain view would be ok. My winning bid was $3650.00 and actually that was my limit...glad the other folks didn't know it.
Jim

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe that is a Mountain View in the original building 0702 to me means that it is the 7th floor, of Building 0 (which is Hale Kona). Room 02 is a Mountain view (I believe).

That would be a floating unit, so you could be in any of the Mountain Views, some of which are very very nice. As an owner, you would have a preference for floor.

If you got a price you are happy with, I think that is terrific. I believe EOY Mountain Views have been selling for $4,000 -- $6,000, but others will correct me if my memory is rusty.

Good luck and enjoy your property, if things go well from here!

Best,

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg. Do you know if Bldg. 0 has been refurbished recently?

Jim

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you can get the previous owner's name or deed number, then I would pull the Hawaii timeshare recording at:

https://boc.ehawaii.gov/docsearch/nameSearch.html.

The deed will either say Makai (Ocean View) or Mauka (Moutainview). There will be a small handling fee. You might be also interested in what the previous owner paid and make you :)

You will need to search later at the same web site for your final deed recording, if the sale goes through. It does take some time to appear on the web, after the actual recording date.

Thanks golf4hrs.......this usually something that I do with a purchase but have not tried to search Hawaii docs before. If I can get the pertinent info your link will get me started.

Jim

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Yes, I did! My reasoning was that even thou I like ocean views ...to get a bargain on this property I was willing to take a chance. Mountain view would be ok. My winning bid was $3650.00 and actually that was my limit...glad the other folks didn't know it.
Jim

that's a good price - I don't know if Hale Kona has been refurb'd but you'd float between the different buildings and I think you'll be very happy.

Enjoy Ko Olina!

Best,

Greg

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
if the view isn't listed....

it's probably not oceanview. I see no reason to bury a selling point if you are trying to sell something. Now if you are trying to hide something.......

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
$3650 is a smoking deal! Note that 2012 maintenance fees for that unit is $858.37, due in January.

I have the same tower and same view and there are several Mountain View units that you can request that are partial ocean views. If I can find the list, I will post them.

Enjoy!

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$3650 is a smoking deal! Note that 2012 maintenance fees for that unit is $858.37, due in January.

I have the same tower and same view and there are several Mountain View units that you can request that are partial ocean views. If I can find the list, I will post them.

Enjoy!

I am happy with the deal....Mahalo! The more research I do on the Hale Kona Bldg. makes me more optomistic about the purchase....some are saying if you have a high floor (which I have at least the 7th) in this bldg. you can't go wrong. This bldg. being in the middle does offer many decent views up high it appears from the resort map. I called Ko Olina and they told me a unit 0704 (should have had another numger in front) would be bldg. Moana or Kona.

Jim

SuperBeav39

TUG Member
Reaction score
TS units...

Somebody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think your actual deeded unit (ie unit 0704) has anything to do with where your reservations end up. It was my understanding that they sell them that way so they can keep track of inventory. The only thing that really matters is view type, unit size, and lockoff potential.

I bought Ko Olina last year (2BR even year lock-off) and recently made my reservations for 2012. On my reservation page I could choose between a 2BR non-lockoff (my understanding was that these are in the newest tower) or a 2BR lockoff (units in the 2 older towers). I could also lock off and get the 1BR villa and studio seperately if I wished.

Then after you make your reservation you can add notes for things like "prefer high floor" or "near elevator". It is my understanding that these preferences are sorted in the order of owner -> DC owner -> exchange -> cash customer.

So in this whole process, whatever actual physical unit is on your deed is somewhat irrelevant. You book on view category and unit type and the rest falls into your priority level.

-Bill

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Congrats! $3650 is perhaps an all-time low for Ko Olina (even for an EOY Mountain View unit).

Even better news - you only have to pay 1/2 the maintenance fees ($858) for your 2012 usage. The other half was already paid by the seller in 2011.

Unless the seller has already reserved a good week for you in 2012, you may have to settle for whatever weeks are still available. Hopefully you have a flexible schedule.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called Ko Olina and they told me a unit 0704 (should have had another numger in front) would be bldg. Moana or Kona.

Jim

The room numbers have five digits, but the legal description per the Deed will be four digits (it may add a Alpha Bldg Code and week, so you'd be 0704A27). You can be confident that's a Mtn View in Hale Kona - but as others have said, you could be put in either, you won't necessarily get Hale Kona - just a Mountain View unit.

Once you make your reservation, you'll call Ko Olina and put in a room request (highest floor possible, Hale Kona building, facing pool - or whatever you want).

As an owner, they will try to accomodate your request. That is a good deal, enjoy the property!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats! $3650 is perhaps an all-time low for Ko Olina (even for an EOY Mountain View unit).

Even better news - you only have to pay 1/2 the maintenance fees ($858) for your 2012 usage. The other half was already paid by the seller in 2011.

Unless the seller has already reserved a good week for you in 2012, you may have to settle for whatever weeks are still available. Hopefully you have a flexible schedule.

Mahalo! My alledged unit is a 2BR/LO EOY odd, therefore I will not be using it until 2013. Just got back from the BI and Maui on 12/4 and was not going back to Hawaii until 2013. I was already booked out for 2012 anyway (11 weeks). Yes I will have to pay 1/2 MF in 2012 so that works for me. My schedule is very flexible therefore I am looking forward to 2013:) .

Jim

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Somebody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think your actual deeded unit (ie unit 0704) has anything to do with where your reservations end up. It was my understanding that they sell them that way so they can keep track of inventory. The only thing that really matters is view type, unit size, and lockoff potential.

I bought Ko Olina last year (2BR even year lock-off) and recently made my reservations for 2012. On my reservation page I could choose between a 2BR non-lockoff (my understanding was that these are in the newest tower) or a 2BR lockoff (units in the 2 older towers). I could also lock off and get the 1BR villa and studio seperately if I wished.

Then after you make your reservation you can add notes for things like "prefer high floor" or "near elevator". It is my understanding that these preferences are sorted in the order of owner -> DC owner -> exchange -> cash customer.

So in this whole process, whatever actual physical unit is on your deed is somewhat irrelevant. You book on view category and unit type and the rest falls into your priority level.

-Bill

OK......thanks for the heads up!

Jim

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wavier of ROFR has been requested by closing agent to Marriott....:cheer: or :bawl:

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Not true. With an EOY week, you pay the first half of the maintenance fee in the year of usage and the second half the following year. If you have usage beginning in 2012, you will pay half the MF in 2012 and half in 2013. The 2011 fee would have been for 2010 usage.

Last edited:

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not true. With an EOY week, you pay the first half of the maintenance fee in the year of usage and the second half the following year. If you have usage beginning in 2012, you will pay half the MF in 2012 and half in 2013. The 2011 fee would have been for 2010 usage.

Ohhhhh BocaBoy.......if what you are saying is correct then I should not be paying the 2012 fees???? My usage year starts in 2013 (EOY odd) therefore your statement (which I like) would mean I shouldn't start paying until 2013 then 2014. However, worst case I suppose they would say I have to pay for the previous owner's last half if I want the week (sort of like unpaid MF)!:ponder: Don't really see how I would win this but I really appreciate the thought BocaBoy!

Jim