• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kingsland room classifications?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We've been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai. Now we're looking at spending time on the Big Island. I'm having difficulty discerning the difference in available rooms at Kingsland between the standard, plus and premier. From what I can tell, it amounts to location and view with standard rooms being on the ground floor, premier units being at the end and plus units being on the second or third floor. Is this accurate or am I missing something? I'm inclined to book a premier unit just to have a feeling of security of the having one of the better views/locations vs seeing a lot of parking lot.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Plus are second floor inner units, premier are third floor and end units. All face the golf course except phase 2 one br units. There are only two buildings in phase 2 with parking lot views. They are currently building more in phase 3.

Some people prefer ground floor for using the lanai with direct access to the grassy area, nice for kids to play. Security is not a problem the resort is very isolated at the dead end of the resort road.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Thanks. Based on your description and Google maps view of the resort I believe we'd do fine in a Plus unit, assuming one is available, for our needs.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Plus are second floor inner units, premier are third floor and end units. All face the golf course except phase 2 one br units. There are only two buildings in phase 2 with parking lot views. They are currently building more in phase 3.

Some people prefer ground floor for using the lanai with direct access to the grassy area, nice for kids to play. Security is not a problem the resort is very isolated at the dead end of the resort road.

This is an excellent description -- we go in two weeks and have a Plus unit, and I wish it was ground floor. I don't care about the additional points, but I like being able to walk out onto the grass for access to the BBQ.

Either way, looking forward to it!

Best,

Greg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So, 8400 points would be premier 2bd??

The only 8400 units are 2 br plus platinum in phase 2.

I'll be there for the last two weeks in May, looking forward to it.

6607e7f295a89ad51d00dfdf4df7f393.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent description -- we go in two weeks and have a Plus unit, and I wish it was ground floor. I don't care about the additional points, but I like being able to walk out onto the grass for access to the BBQ.

Best,

Greg

I like the ground floor idea as well. Is there a way to bypass the reservation fee if you own a 2BR+?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the ground floor idea as well. Is there a way to bypass the reservation fee if you own a 2BR+?

You will have to pay the reservation fee if you aren't booking exactly what you own. The highest level Elite doesn't have reservation fees for anything. So, if you are highest Elite, you bypass it that way.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have to pay the reservation fee if you aren't booking exactly what you own. The highest level Elite doesn't have reservation fees for anything. So, if you are highest Elite, you bypass it that way.

Any level of Elite doesn't pay for 7-night reservations. Otherwise, if it's not your home week (exactly what you own), then you'll pay for the fee. And you can't book it until the 9-month mark.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any level of Elite doesn't pay for 7-night reservations. Otherwise, if it's not your home week (exactly what you own), then you'll pay for the fee. And you can't book it until the 9-month mark.
Elite Premiere says "complimentary HGVC transaction fees regularly priced at $99. or less." If that doesn't include reservation fees, what does it cover?

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it didn't. She asked about avoiding the reservation fee. You said "the highest level of Elite....." I pointed out that any level of Elite wouldn't pay the reservation fee.

Your quote means ALL transactions at $99 or less are free. Reservations and guest certificates come to mind.

I'm the basic level of Elite so we get free 7-night bookings (but pay for reservations for more or less than 7 nights) and then get a small discount on other reservations and fees. Or example, an on-line, changeable reservation is $52 where I believe the rate for non-Elite is $55 this year.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Best,

Greg

We had a 3rd floor room last year and it was nice.. but planning to try a ground floor unit next time.. I like to grill and it gets old running up and down to stairs or waiting for the elevator with the food..

Plus the lanai's are not that large and felt kind of crowded to me.. It would be nice to be able to move the furniture onto the grass for better conversation or get the sun out of your eyes...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it didn't. She asked about avoiding the reservation fee. You said "the highest level of Elite....." I pointed out that any level of Elite wouldn't pay the reservation fee.

Your quote means ALL transactions at $99 or less are free. Reservations and guest certificates come to mind.

I'm the basic level of Elite so we get free 7-night bookings (but pay for reservations for more or less than 7 nights) and then get a small discount on other reservations and fees. Or example, an on-line, changeable reservation is $52 where I believe the rate for non-Elite is $55 this year.

No big deal but it's He...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting, not sure the marginal fee savings warrants the expense of reaching elite. At some point I will do it, but for now I may have to pay the fee.:hysterical:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a 3rd floor room last year and it was nice.. but planning to try a ground floor unit next time.. I like to grill and it gets old running up and down to stairs or waiting for the elevator with the food..

Plus the lanai's are not that large and felt kind of crowded to me.. It would be nice to be able to move the furniture onto the grass for better conversation or get the sun out of your eyes...

Are the 3rd floor units, which I believe require 14,400 points, better than the 12,600 point units?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Are the 3rd floor units, which I believe require 14,400 points, better than the 12,600 point units?

I have not stayed on all levels so can't speak from personal experience, but don't believe there is any difference to interiors for any of the floors.. (unlike Kohala suites where the 3rd floor units have the jet tub, and spa shower)

So in my mind i would go for the ground floor with direct access to the grass or top level for nominally better view and avoid anyone above me...

Only advantage i can see for the 2nd floor is fewer points, less stairs...

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Just in searching for available dates, it appears the ground floor, less expensive points wise units, go reasonably quickly. I've noticed that it's typically the higher points units available at the 9 month or less mark. Of course I haven't been looking for very long.

Judging from this conversation and photo examples I've found online, I think a first floor unit would work just as well for us at the premium, more expensive units. We don't plan on going until March of 2017 so there's plenty of time to watch, search and make a decision from the available units when booking opens up.

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're planning to go to the Big Island, don't forget bug repellent. There's a dengue fever problem which is spread by mosquitoes. The problem is in Kailua Kona right now. Just check the problem area before your trip so you know where to avoid. :(