• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kilauea Lighthouse & Wildlife Refuge Closed

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Just learned on Trip Advisor that the Wildlife Refuge & Lighthouse area (including the visitor center) will be closed starting tomorrow (1/17/16) through April as they do some restoration work on the paths/trails.

I am totally bummed because we'll be there in about 10 days and was looking forward to our time at the point.

leedaorg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for heads up! We just arrived yesterday(well, 1am today...) going there today for sure. Last time when we tried, it was closed so I can't miss this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for heads up! We just arrived yesterday(well, 1am today...) going there today for sure. Last time when we tried, it was closed so I can't miss this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wave: Happy to help! Take an extra photo for me. LOL

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Which brings up another question . . . is there a good vantage point that is accessible by foot to take photos of the lighthouse? Or is a boat required from the water?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which brings up another question . . . is there a good vantage point that is accessible by foot to take photos of the lighthouse? Or is a boat required from the water?

Walk up about 3/4 of the way, and they'll be a stoned wall cut out on the right.

You will be able to get some nice photos of the lighthouse from that vantage point.

Suggest you bring bottled water with you.

Have fun!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Walk up about 3/4 of the way, and they'll be a stoned wall cut out on the right.

You will be able to get some nice photos of the lighthouse from that vantage point.

Suggest you bring bottled water with you.

Have fun!.

Thanks much! Now to find a decent lookout point for whale watching . . . any suggestions?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

We went to see it on President's Day, not realizing that it would be closed. The driveway to the lighthouse had a gate, but there is some parking at the end of the road where the driveway starts. You can get a picture from there. It's where I took this one (without the zoom lens):

060%20Kilauea%20lighthouse-L.jpg

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lovely!

Thanks for sharing and confirming there is viewing nearby.

Mahalo!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Lovely!

Thanks for sharing and confirming there is viewing nearby.

Mahalo!

Von, in the Lighthouse photo above, the lush banks surrounding the watery inlet to the right of it is a major bird breeding area. If you zoom in on the picture, you'll see lots of little white bird heads in the bushes. There are a lot of birds breeding around there. Bring your zoom lens - there is a lot to see. :)

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, look closely at the rocky shelf on the closest side of the inlet - there are often Monk Seals basking there.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Von, in the Lighthouse photo above, the lush banks surrounding the watery inlet to the right of it is a major bird breeding area. If you zoom in on the picture, you'll see lots of little white bird heads in the bushes. There are a lot of birds breeding around there. Bring your zoom lens - there is a lot to see. :)

Dave

Thanks for the tip Dave. I was just last night debating on how much camera gear to take! Made my decision on my 70-300 lens for me!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, look closely at the rocky shelf on the closest side of the inlet - there are often Monk Seals basking there.

Thanks Denise! I have been told they are around the island in a couple of places. Hope to see them!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again to everyone for the input before our trip! We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed Kauai. Of course, four days wasn't enough time for much more than a sampling. We did make the most of what time we did have however.

The parking area at the closed gates was limited to 10 minutes and was being monitored by a volunteer. We did get out and take some photos and looked for wildlife. There were a couple of whale blows off in the distance but no other visible signs of whales.

And yes, birds galore throughout the area! (No monk seals seen there but we did see a couple on shore during our Capt Andy's dinner cruise . . . which was outstanding!)