• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kid-Friendly Restaurants

TomY

Reaction score
We'll be staying at the Royal Sands for a week later this month -- two families with two 4-year-olds and two younger ones that just turned 1. Would appreciate any suggestions for kid-friendly dining at the Royal Sands, Tri-Royals or in the general neighborhood. (This is our first trip to Cancun.)

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Most of the restaurants are fairly kid friendly. The kids would like the Rainforest Cafe if it's reopened by then(plaza Forum). The food courts at the nearby Kulculcan and Las Isla malls might also be a hit. Of course you could always eat at one of the Royal restaurants or dine in.

KarenK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Johnny Rockets is in La Isla Mall if that has reopened.
Downtown, there is La Parrilla on Yaxchilan which has good food and a mariachi band that often strols through.

lizhecht

TUG Member
Reaction score
All resturants in Mexico are kid friendly

Probably with the exception of El Conquistador, la Habichuela or some of the other black tie places along the strip. Cancun really does cater to families and I find many Mexican establishments will cater to children more readily than in America. Agreed places like Johnny Rockets and TGI Fridays have a "children's" menus which contain items children are more likely to recognize. Even Senior Frogs, and Coco Bongo both known night spots had early shows specifically catering to the family crowd with moonwalks and conga lines specific to the younger crowd.
However don't avoid the local places or Mexican places just because you have kids. We have always been able to order rice and a cheese quesadilla, or chicken where ever we went or a simple bowl of pasta. You'd be surprised what they are willing to do to satisfy the younger crowd. You won't always get a children's menu or might have to bring your own crayons, but they will always make something off menu.
Remember they have kids at home too, who probably wouldn't touch the lobster or tic and chic with a ten foot! Mexico is a culture which tends to cater to their children when they can.

Go to Perico's downtown and see the traditional Dia de los muertos display, and Maria Bonitas (if its there) for the Mariachi band. We've even brought our son (age 6 at the time) to the dinner show at El Faro. A well known fancy restaurant. We went early, brought a game boy and were surprised when he was so interested in the show that he didn't want to leave! Don't think we have one of those kids who is easy to bring to a restaurant, we don't eat out during the day, but shop at Walmart or Chederaui for breakfast and lunch. But when on vacation we would rather bring him out with us than entrust him to a baby-sitter we don't know. You're on vacation in a foreign country, enjoy the sites and smells and different culture!

TomY

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful recommendations. Will print this string out and bring it with us next week.

Last question -- if we get lazy and want to order in pizza delivery (a fan favorite among the kids), any suggestions on who to call?

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love the Pizza at the Royals!!! Sounds funny but it's true. It's much better than Dominos! And they will deliver to your villa!

JMO!

Jan

cycart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sands Express Rules

TomY

I just came back from the Royal Sands yesterday with my 3 young daughters. They have added a new amenity called "Sands Express" (located within the pool-side restaurant). Here you can purchase delicious prepared food "to go" to eat in your villa, including great pizza (they even have free delivery!). Items such as roast chicken, ribs, mashed potatoes and gravy, french bread, mac & cheese, salads and baked goods. And the prices are very reasonable. We got 2 chickens, mashed potatoes, bread and salad for $23. You can't take a family to Boston Market cheaper than that! I highly recommend it. :D

We also took the kids to Pericos. Although it was a fun show, I felt there were some age-inappropriate jokes. But we did have a late dinner (8:00 reservation) so maybe things are "tamer" at an earlier hour.

TomY

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful recommendations! With two 1-year-olds in the group, dining out might not be an option every night, depending on mood, temperament, etc.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The restaurants AND pool/beach waiters at the Royal Resorts are very kid-friendly (except, as noted, El Conquistador). Note that drink refills are usually NOT free as they are in the States. There is a kids' menu always available, and little ones are half-price for Mexican night and buffets. Also as noted above, the Express is great!

Many years ago when our one-year-old was fussy at dinner, the waiter scooped him up (with our ok) and took him on a tour of the restaurant and kitchen so we could enjoy the rest of our dinner.

At Happy Hour poolside or at the beach, you can order the kids inexpensive "fluffy" drinks without alcohol, and ask for chips, which will be delivered at no extra charge. My kids' favorites are Chocolate Monkeys, Piña Coladas, Banana Coladas, and Strawberry Daiquiris. Be careful to taste the drink first - occasionally they mess up on the "no alcohol" part, which I've found out when my kids said the drink tasted funny. Twice I thought it was ok but I guess I was wrong - they drank it and slept the rest of the day.