• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key Largo or Marathon

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be spending a day and night at either Key Largo or Marathon after our week at Key West. Looking at both of the areas I was wondering which would you rather stay at?
Initially we thought Marathon, but the park at Key Largo looks like it may be great for snorkling. We could do a stop at Marathon for a couple hours on the way up to check out the area.
Any ideas of what to do or see?

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would make a stop at Bahia Honda state park near Marathon then spend the night in Key Largo if you are interested at John Penekamp in Key Largo.

Dave

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
lgreenspan, that was what we were thinking of doing. Is there anything that is off the beaten path that is not to be missed? It's our 1st trip to the Keys so I am totally relying on the internet.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
I would stick to your plan

There is only one main road in the Keys - US 1. So, there really is not a a lot of things "off the beaten" path. Much of the Keys is very rustic and you will more then likely feel like you are off the beaten path by just being down there. It is beautiful and I would stick to your current plan. There are a few hidden spots down further in the Keys. But these places consist of Pizza and Beer - does not really fill your current question. Key Largo has great snorkeling for all levels of swimmers and is a great choice.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Floridaski, we gotta eat and drink! :D
Where do you suggest as I am thinking you might have a place in mind to fill our bellies. Don't want to get dehydrated.
I frequent another forum that tells of some great classic places that are not to be missed. I have got to search for those posts.
I am up for any suggestions. We and want to take it ALL in.

Timesharemogul

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eating

Maddaug,
In Key West there are about as many "must-do" eateries as there are people on this BBS. I could name a half-dozen right off the top of my head which I always return toin Key West.
In the middle of the Keys,there is one overlooked restaurant that I would recommend, particularly if you can get there on a Saturday evening. It is called "Captain's Table", located in Lower Matecumbe/Islamorada, adjacent to the west side of Caloosa Cove Resort. From the outside it appears like nothing more than an easily-missed roadside diner. What makes it great is that they have daily all-you can eat specials, and when they're freshly smoking the meats outside in the smoke barrels all day, the aroma is what originally brought me in on a Saturday to the all you can eat prime rib. The prices were relatively low- about the same or lower as most diners. That smoked prime rib in its all you can eat Saturday special version made it a memorable and purposeful repeatably visited restaurant.
Bon appetite!
Brian

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Captain's table has coupon on restaurant.com but it is not valid for the all you can eat and only give 10$ coupon for 25$ minimal purchase.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love prime rib so after a week of getting in all the fresh seafood we can get we will probably be ready for some beef. I will have to mark the Captain's Table as a place to check out.

Now how about somewhere to stay for 1 night. We are thinking Key Largo. My guess is we will play all day then just flop for the night and head up to Ft. Lauderdale for our flight home in the morning. Of course we are looking for somewhere clean but nothing fancy and pricey. Any suggestions?

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
If you plan to snorkle at Penekamp, Key Largo, you really need to take the boat tour. We did it off the park beach one year and wasn't all that great.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hophop yes we do want to go to Pennekamp state park. Thanks for the info. I'll look into this.

Last edited:

Timesharemogul

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Penekamp is a requisite, your stopover s/b KeyLargo

Maddaug,
If you're going to mafe John Penekamp a requisite stop on your trip thru the FL Keys, I would strongly recommend that Key Largo be the location you focus to for finding a room for your stopover....I believe that from Penekamp to the area around Marathon or Islamorada it is roughly a 1 to 2 hour drive, although Marathon was the epicenter of cheap roadside hotels the last time I passed through there two or three years ago.
Brian
P.S. I'd still stop in Lower Matecumbe/Islamorada for the all you can eat Prime Rib on Saturday nights at Captain's Table!!!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear the restaurant recommendations for Key West. going in mid Nov.

Timesharemogul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurants

I would love to hear the restaurant recommendations for Key West. going in mid Nov.

AS I previously stated,there are as many different favorite restaurants as there are posters on this BBS. That being said, I'll list a few of my repeated favorites. There are tons of faves out there, but if I could only select one apiece for breakfast-lunch-dinner, they would be the following three....
For elegant service serving continental/seafood, try PISCES on Simonton Street (formerly named "Cafe Des Artistes"). Pisces shares the kitchen with a more informal restaurant around the corner named "Duffy's"....the same food basics prepared slightly differently at much more casual pricing levels.
For an extraordinary breakfast experience, including a ride on a shuttleboat over to Hilton Sunset Island, eat at Latitudes Beach Cafe. The breakfasts are original, delicously different, and affordable xcompared to lunch or dinner there. Reservations for the shuttleboat and meals are taken at the Hilton gift shop.
I never go to Key West without bringing my group to lunch at Camille's,on Simonton Street a few blocks from the Atlantic. Get their fresh daily-made chicken salad on anything!!!
Brian

The Conch Man

Reaction score
I agree with Brian on Pisces but bring your Credit Card, order the Lobster! Here are some of our favorites & we have more but this is just a start:

Favorite Restaurants:

Alonzo's Oyster Bar - Located under the A&B Restaurant which is fine dining as well - make reservations outside by the Gulf - Go for Happy Hour at Alonzo's around 4 o'clock tii 7 ish

Half Shell Raw Bar - Kinda says it all: http://www.halfshellrawbar.com/home.html - Happy Hour is the best time to go, trust me, $ 0.50 cent oysters to start with!

Conch Republic Seafood Company - Big place, great drinks at the Key West Marina, orger the Royal Reds, they taste like lobster or order the Pinks: http://www.conchrepublicseafood.com/

Harpoon Harry's for a great cheap breakfast & maybe try their special which isn't advertise

Pepe's Cafe on Caroline St. - Just up the street from Harpoon Harry's for breakfast, lunch or dinner - Pork Chops & Steak are good & reasonalbe as is the price

Hogfish Restaurant on Stock Island - Ya might need a car or a Taxi to get there but what a nice place for fish & locals!

Shrimp Shack on Stock Island - Just down the street from Hogfish, great seafood as its right-off the boat, large portions & very reasonable: www.keywestfresh.com/

El Siboney: Great Cuban & very reasonable - http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/menu.htm

Damn Good Food To Go: http://www.damngoodfoodtogo.com/

There are as many different favorite restaurants as there are posters on this BBS. That being said, for elegant service serving continental/seafood, try PISCES on Simonton Street. Brian

Last edited:

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conch man, thanks for the tips on where to eat. We love seafood and don't get it fresh so we will have to check out the Shrimp Shack. We aren't opposed to grilling our own food so let me know if this is the place to get some fresh seafood to take back to the condo.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
The best place to get your fresh fish for grillin is at the Waterfront Market on William St. down by the Harbor or at the Shrimp Shack of course after the boats come-in after doing their fishing that day.