• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Resort Questions

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Hi All,

I have stayed on the east region and south region so far. I think it was Kauai Lagoons or something like that but only for a few days. I felt like the East didn't have nice beaches but was easy and central access to everything. I then stayed in the south at Waiohai Beach Club and loved it. Walking access to Poipu beach and nice pool for my 1 year old at the time who is now 2 and change.

Anyway my question is If i liked Waiohai Beach Club with the easy beach access to Poipu would i enjoy Marriot Kauai Lagoons or Kauai Beach Club? How about the Westin up in Princeville (I did enjoy my time at the bay and also the beach that was near the underground cave.) Sheraton is another option which is sort of near Waiohai in the South I would consider if someone could vouch for it. I am most likely going to stay in a 2BR - but I want to see what i should put for my exchange in II. another thing is maybe beggars and be choosers so take whatever i can get when it comes up.

Would love opinions on people who stayed at multiple Kauai Resorts.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I can see why you like the south and think you're on the right track with Waiohai. With the 2BR units and beach access going for it, I think it's a great choice. The Sheraton units are small, so that is one I have stayed away from despite the good location.

In the east, I have not stayed at Kauai Beach Club yet. KBC definitely has its lovers and haters, there are some threads out there on that subject, I will send you a link if I can find the recent discussion. Lagoons is in the exact same area as KBC and is quite adult-oriented and doesn't have beach access so I wouldn't pick that one given your criteria (and it is a very difficult Interval exchange if that was your plan).

Westin Princeville is very nice (but weather can be iffy in the north), but again, no easy beach access and I have only been seeing one bedrooms now and then in Interval.

If you're curious about even more resorts or want some beach comparisons, you could also try posting on the Hawaii forum, they are a wealth of information. All the best in your Hawaii planning.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Poipu Beach is probably the best beach on Kauai, so anyplace else will suffer by comparison. Waiohai is definitely the best timeshare near that beach (we owned there for a dozen years). I agree with @marmite that the rooms at the Sheraton are small; I would pick the Waiohai every time as between the two.

We owned at Kauai Beach Club; the beach there is nice (it's on Nawiliwili Bay, so there is little wave action), the pool is spectacular, but the rooms are small and the kitchens lack stoves and ovens. We sold only because the fees became absurd, not because we disliked the place.

We have stayed at Westin Princeville several times. The units are the best timeshare units on the island, the pools are nice, but the resort is not on the beach and your 2+ year old cannot do the steep path to get there. Beaches on the north shore are drive-to. It does rain more in Princeville than in Poipu, but the rains are usually short and seldom affected our plans. Princeville used to be an easy exchange with a Vistana preference; perhaps it is not any longer (we sold our traders).

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We feel that Waiohai is far above KBC. We stayed at KBC for a day after Waiohai, and would never stay at KBC for a week. We consider it the Waikiki of Kauai.

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
We prefer Anini Beach. But it is a drive from any timeshare.
Ooh thanks for this. I wil definitely go there next time. We loved Haena Beach Park but this seems like it is easier to access and i like the amount of parking.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Question regarding KBC. Is there a big difference between getting Ocean View versus Ocean Front? It's quite a difference in points. Thanks.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy the resort at KBC. If I’m correct, there’s a kiddy pool of some sort there. Ocean view can have a a great view or a terrible view overlooking a roof. We were not given a great room the last time, and we’ve been to KBC many other times with better room assignments. They refused to give us a different room even the following day.

We own at Waiohai, (which we also love but it’s a different vibe), and typically do a week at each resort, so after the last awful room assignment for Oceanview at KBC, we decided in the future we will only do Ocean front because you’re guaranteed to much better view. Whether it is worth the points only you can decide.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyway my question is If i liked Waiohai Beach Club with the easy beach access to Poipu would i enjoy Marriot Kauai Lagoons or Kauai Beach Club? How about the Westin Princeville or Sheraton? I am most likely going to stay in a 2BR…

Would love opinions on people who stayed at multiple Kauai Resorts.
We own at Waiohai and it is our favorite MVC Hawaiian resort. If you absolutely have to stay in a different beachfront Kauai 2BR your realistic choices are the Sheraton and…the Sheraton.

We also love KBC (and own 1BR Oceanfront) but there are just a handful of OF 2BRs and I can’t imagine an owner giving it up to II. Lagoons is the one Hawaiian MVC resort at which we haven’t stayed for the simple reason that it is neither on a beach nor has onsite restaurants. Similarly, Princeville also has nice villas and no beach.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
We enjoy the resort at KBC. If I’m correct, there’s a kiddy pool of some sort there. Ocean view can have a a great view or a terrible view overlooking a roof. We were not given a great room the last time, and we’ve been to KBC many other times with better room assignments. They refused to give us a different room even the following day.

We own at Waiohai, (which we also love but it’s a different vibe), and typically do a week at each resort, so after the last awful room assignment for Oceanview at KBC, we decided in the future we will only do Ocean front because you’re guaranteed to much better view. Whether it is worth the points only you can decide.
Thank you. So if you book OF you should get a good room then it sounds like?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So if you book OF you should get a good room then it sounds like?
Very much so. That said, some people are put off by the lack of a stove and/or W/D in the villa (the OF laundry room is on the 3rd floor).

And as I alluded to earlier, KBC OF 2BRs are more likely to be found for rent than available for points or II reservations. If your family situation permits, you could book an OF 1BR (comprised of a studio + parlor) and another studio or parlor.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Very much so. That said, some people are put off by the lack of a stove and/or W/D in the villa (the OF laundry room is on the 3rd floor).

And as I alluded to earlier, KBC OF 2BRs are more likely to be found for rent than available for points or II reservations. If your family situation permits, you could book an OF 1BR (comprised of a studio + parlor) and another studio or parlor.
Thank you again. It’s just the two of us so a studio will do just fine. Booked the OF studio for 8 nights end of January on points. Cant wait. First time to Kauai

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thank you again. It’s just the two of us so a studio will do just fine. Booked the OF studio for 8 nights end of January on points. Cant wait. First time to Kauai
OF studios in the Kilohana building do not have lanais. The lanai is on the parlor side of the lockoff.

OF studios in the Waialeale building have lanais, but the building is low to the ground, only a couple of stories high.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Oh wow. That’s why some of the layouts show a lanai and some don’t. Yikes. Might have to rethink this one. Thank you.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
If your looking at it from the ocean which bldg is on the left and which on the right?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If your looking at it from the ocean which bldg is on the left and which on the right?
It's not a left/right thing. As viewed from the water, both buildings are to the left of the pool. Near Duke's.

The Waialeale building is the short, squat building in front of the bottom few floors of the Kilohana building.

If you play with Google Maps, there are some views that show this well.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. That’s why some of the layouts show a lanai and some don’t. Yikes. Might have to rethink this one. Thank you.
Wai'ale'ale is three stories high and closer to Nawiliwili Bay and Kilohana is nine stories immediately above and behind. In the Wai'ale'ale building, both studios and parlor units have lanais, in Kilohana the parlor rooms have lanais and the studios do not. The parlor is basically a living room with a queen wall bed, shower, and real kitchenette with refrigerator/freezer, sink, microwave, dishwasher, silverware, dishes and glasses. The studio is basically a hotel room with a real bed, tub/shower, bar sink/coffee maker/tea service and mini-fridge. We've always stayed in a 1BR but if I had to choose one or the other I would choose the parlor.

If you imagine that you are in Nawiliwili Bay facing the resort, Wai'ale'ale and Kilohana (KBC OF) are on the left, Nounou (KBC OV) heads back toward the center of the resort, Kahili (a mix of KBC OV and Sonesta hotel) is next parallel to the beach behind the pool complex, and lastly Haupu (all Sonesta hotel) is on the far right headed back toward the bay.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I like Marriott's Kauai Beach just fine. Rick was not a fan. I liked the big hotel feel of it with Duke's right there, and other restaurants an easy walk. Rick is more of a "Shearwater giant unit with ocean views and cool Princeville weather" fan.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Wai'ale'ale is three stories high and closer to Nawiliwili Bay and Kilohana is nine stories immediately above and behind. In the Wai'ale'ale building, both studios and parlor units have lanais, in Kilohana the parlor rooms have lanais and the studios do not. The parlor is basically a living room with a queen wall bed, shower, and real kitchenette with refrigerator/freezer, sink, microwave, dishwasher, silverware, dishes and glasses. The studio is basically a hotel room with a real bed, tub/shower, bar sink/coffee maker/tea service and mini-fridge. We've always stayed in a 1BR but if I had to choose one or the other I would choose the parlor.

If you imagine that you are in Nawiliwili Bay facing the resort, Wai'ale'ale and Kilohana (KBC OF) are on the left, Nounou (KBC OV) heads back toward the center of the resort, Kahili (a mix of KBC OV and Sonesta hotel) is next parallel to the beach behind the pool complex, and lastly Haupu (all Sonesta hotel) is on the far right headed back toward the bay.
Thank you for the great information. So when I booked the Studio OV it said guest of a one bedroom but the layout showed it witht the Lanai when I clicked on it? Not sure if I can believe the layout then?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great information. So when I booked the Studio OV it said guest of a one bedroom but the layout showed it witht the Lanai when I clicked on it? Not sure if I can believe the layout then?
If you booked a OV Studio and not OF then you will be in Nounou or Kahili and have a lanai (but be overlooking the pool and only tangentially the bay).

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
If you booked a OV Studio and not OF then you will be in Nounou or Kahili and have a lanai (but be overlooking the pool and only tangentially the bay).
Dang. Sorry. I meant to type OF.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang. Sorry. I meant to type OF.
Then yes, some OF studio villas at KBC have a lanai and others just have a juliette balcony.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
If the layout I clicked for my booking shows a lanai should I get one with it then do you think? Or will it be by request only?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If the layout I clicked for my booking shows a lanai should I get one with it then do you think? Or will it be by request only?
If both versions were selectable options, I would think you would get one with a lanai, but I would still request it when they send you the pre-arrival email.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Definitely request a room with a lanai if you want a room with a lanai. We found them to be very responsive to our requests, even very specific ones (eg. "high floor in the Kilohana building away from the elevators", when I was staying in an OF parlor).