• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Newbie Questions

weh8625

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to buy our first timeshare in March. We love going to Kauai and would like to buy there. It seems like trading values are high, and we would be happy going there every year if we don't trade.

1. Are there any resorts you would recommend buying or not buying?

2. Is Ebay the cheapest place to buy a resale?

3. Is there a reason certain resorts keep popping up on Ebay?

4. How hard is it to find a 2 bedroom, it seems like there are a lot of 1 bedroom and studio units.

Thanks for your help.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Before I can really answer your questions

I need to know what you expect from your resort.

Do you want/need the 5* type accommodations?

Do you want to be ocean front?

Do you have a planned budget for this purchase?

Are you looking for just 1 week per year?

Let me know. Greg

We are looking to buy our first timeshare in March. We love going to Kauai and would like to buy there. It seems like trading values are high, and we would be happy going there every year if we don't trade.

1. Are there any resorts you would recommend buying or not buying?

2. Is Ebay the cheapest place to buy a resale?

3. Is there a reason certain resorts keep popping up on Ebay?

4. How hard is it to find a 2 bedroom, it seems like there are a lot of 1 bedroom and studio units.

Thanks for your help.

weh8625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Answers

Greg,
Thanks for the quick response, please see my answers below:

Of course I would like 5*, but I'm probably not willing to pay for it. If you are familiar, we have stayed at Nihi Kai the past two times and were happy with that. I just need a comfortable bed, a working kitchen, and the basics.

I want to be walking distance to the beach. Ocean view would be a bonus.

Based on what I have seen listed (very limited knowledge) I would like to bring $5K or less to closing, with maintenance fees of $1500 or less. Is that realistic? As we spend more time timesharing we may want to upgrade over time.

Yes.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,
Thanks for the quick response, please see my answers below:

Of course I would like 5*, but I'm probably not willing to pay for it. If you are familiar, we have stayed at Nihi Kai the past two times and were happy with that. I just need a comfortable bed, a working kitchen, and the basics.
OK, that opens up several resorts in Poipu and Kapaa. The Lawai Beach, Kappa Shores, Pono Kai , Poipu at The Point , Banyon Harbor, Wyndam Kauai Beach Villas, the SHell program and the WM and VI program.
I want to be walking distance to the beach. Ocean view would be a bonus.

Based on what I have seen listed (very limited knowledge) I would like to bring $5K or less to closing, with maintenance fees of $1500 or less. Is that realistic? As we spend more time timesharing we may want to upgrade over time.

Great time to be picking up a bargain, all of these except maybe an OF Poipu at the Point, can be purchased for under your 5k, the Shell resort and the Poipu at the Point have annual fees very close to your $1500, the rest are all around $800-1000.
The only area you eliminated is the Princeville area, they are all up on a bluff, no real walking distance to any beaches.
Yes.

Ebay is the best place to find a great bargain. It is a buyers market, enjoy.

Greg

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are a few of old "PAHIO" resorts (now Wyndham) which could fit your plans. They is just one word of caution. The guy who sold Pahio to Wyndham has been telling stories to the closing companies in Hawaii. He has been telling them that he has ROFR on several PAHIO weeks which he doesn't have. So you need to find a title company which will require him to prove his claim of ROFR, otherwise he'll steal the week from you with his false claim of ROFR.

There are several threads here on the subject. Take a look.

weh8625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Greg and Bill thanks for your help.

I can't wait to sip something frozen and fruity next year...

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is one correction to what has been posted.

There is one resort in Princeville from which you can walk to the beach. Hanalei Bay Resort sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean with the best view of any resort. I have seen units that have sold for under 5K, although it is very rare. There is a paved path down the bluff to the beach. You can make it in just a few minutes. If you prefer, you can call for a ride up and down the path on a golf cart (The ride is free as far as I know... I have never used it because the walk short and is beautiful and offers good exercise.).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

TUG has extensive reviews of the Kauai Resorts but you have to be a member to access them. You can join here. There are several instant options to join, but if you use Paypal a human being actually has to process it, so the other options are faster. After you join, you will be sent a specific code to add to your profile to change your status from guest to member.

I would take my time and do my homework. It's a buyers market right now and there are some tremendous deals out there, and with maintenance fees coming due the next 2 months, I think we will see even more. Personally, I just bought an ocean front unit on Kauai on ebay yesterday, for $98 total - INCLUDING CLOSING! :eek:

If it were me, I would look for an ocean front unit. I definitely would not buy inland - if you're in Hawaii, don't you want to see the ocean?

One more thing about Kauai: The north end (Princeville) is lush and tropical, but it also gets more rain. The south end (Poipu) is not as lush, but gets more sunshine & less rain. Some people love one, some the other.

You will pay top dollar for the Marriott and the Westin, but there are many other mid-level resorts that you can buy for less than $1,000.

Look at the maintenance fees - they are HIGH in Hawaii.

Ask a lot of questions and when you find resorts you are interested in use the search function "Search This Forum" to search through the old posts, and the TUG reviews.

Good luck!

weh8625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Denise,
Thanks for the post.
I have joined Tug and am enjoying the content.

Do you or someone else know when MF bills go out and
due dates for some of the middle of the road Kauai resorts?

In other words, when will people be deciding not to keep their
interval and trying to sell? Now?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise,
Thanks for the post.
I have joined Tug and am enjoying the content.

Do you or someone else know when MF bills go out and
due dates for some of the middle of the road Kauai resorts?

In other words, when will people be deciding not to keep their
interval and trying to sell? Now?

It varies, but most resorts send their bills out in December.

Congrats on becoming a TUG member! I see that you are still listed as a guest. You should have received a code to put in your user profile to change your status to member. Let me know if you need help with that.

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
weh8625, We own 2 units at Pono Kai (1br) purchased on eBay. We like Pono Kai for several reasons. It is not luxurious, but it is comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. MF's are reasonable, especially for Hawaii accommodations. Pono Kai units are floating, so you can reserve the week you want and if you reserve early, you can snag an oceanfront unit which are located in Buildings A, B, C or D. Oceanview units can also be found in Buildings E, F, and G. Situated in Kapaa, you are centrally located with a short drive to the northern Princeville area or south to Poipu. Kauai is my favorite island in Hawaii. :banana: