• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just confirmed Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Nov 28-Dec 5, advice needed

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Thanks to you help on my decision! It was down to St Martin or Grand Mayan, and the Grand Mayan won for 2009 (St marting for 2010).

We are Me (30), DH (42), DS (15), and hopefully dear baby by then!

Now come the question ...

What buildings do I need to try to get into (from what I can tell 1 - 7?)
Is there a way to actually do this, get into a certain building?
How far away in the beach that is swimmable?
Can we still walk (with water shoes) past the coral and float/swim in the water at the resort?
Or is the whole ocean in the area unusable?
Tulum is a must - what is there to do there?
Playa Del Carmen is a must - what is there to do there?
What other good day trips should we make?
What is the best food/restaurant for reasonable at the resort?
We want to rent a car, is this advisable?
Is it easy/safe to drive in Mexico?

Thanks again for your help!

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Thanks to you help on my decision! It was down to St Martin or Grand Mayan, and the Grand Mayan won for 2009 (St marting for 2010).

We are Me (30), DH (42), DS (15), and hopefully dear baby by then!

Now come the question ... Thanks again for your help!

What buildings do I need to try to get into (from what I can tell 1 - 7?)
Is there a way to actually do this, get into a certain building?

Hi ... we own at the Mayan Palace, not Grand Mayan, but from everything I've read, I don't think you have much choice as to the building they put you in, especially if you are a non-owner coming in. They definitely give preferential treatment to to owners at the MP; probably the same at GM

How far away in the beach that is swimmable?
We generally walk about 10 minutes either way, and there are some very beautiful, swimmable beaches. Another bonus is that they are pretty free of people as well. :)

Can we still walk (with water shoes) past the coral and float/swim in the water at the resort? Or is the whole ocean in the area unusable?
Yes, with water shoes, you can walk out just on the north side of the pier — walk out about 50 yards or so, and there's some definitely swimmable areas. Some day, the reef balls that they've installed will actually form a usuable reef, and the entire beach should be usable. Not sure if that will be in my lifetime or not, however. :)

Tulum is a must - what is there to do there?
We've been a couple of times. The ruins there are fascinating — well worth the trip. And the beach there by the ruins is spectacular. White sand and deep blue, warm water. I'd recommend it.

Playa Del Carmen is a must - what is there to do there?
Ah, one of my family's favorite places to visit. There are all kinds of wonderful restaurants, some great shopping along 5th avenue, people watching, etc. It's a pretty touristy place, but we generally end up visiting PDC at least 3 or 4 nights every trip.

What other good day trips should we make?
Well, Akumal is a nice, laid back little town. Also, If you're into snorkeling, I would highly recommend hiring one of the tour guides in Puerto Morelos, about 10 minutes north of the Mayan Palace. For a longer day trip, Chichen Itza is an amazing place.

The best money I've by far spent was buying several of the maps offered by mapchick! They are chock full of information, restaurant reviews, places to go, etc. Well, well worth the money!! I don't have any interest in the company, other than I love their products. :)

What is the best food/restaurant for reasonable at the resort?
Mayan Palace and reasonable is a dichotomy, lol!!! Seriously, the prices are typical resort prices — if you're looking for a bargain meal, you'll have to leave the resort. Having said that, the restaurant down on the beach (can't remember it's name) is our favorite, both for food and location. We haven't tried all of them yet, even though we've been there for the last six years! Honestly, you can find a different place to eat every night in Playa del Carmen.

If you have a car, I would highly recommend driving to Puerto Morelos, and visiting John Grey's Kitchen. He also has a restaurant in Playa del Carmen, but the Puerto Morelos location is just a bit cosier, and has less of a commercial feel to it. Amazing food and to die for desserts. It's not cheap, but for a special night out, you can't beat it.

We want to rent a car, is this advisable? Is it easy/safe to drive in Mexico?
I just posted on another thread that we've had no problems whatsoever driving in the Mayan Riviera the last six years. Just pay attention, don't do anything stupid on the road, and you'll be fine. The towns get a bit hairy, but everybody is definitely paying attention. It's mostly the taxi drivers that push the envelope. They'll try to pull out in front of you all the time. Just hold your ground, and they'll back down. :)

Enjoy your trip!! Please feel free to PM me with any other questions you might have.

Tom

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much Tom for your valuable, well itemized suggestions.

We are going this coming March and I have printed your suggestions to study and take along with us.

Thanks indeed for taking the time to write. Its very much appreciated.

Lynn

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy to help. Please feel free to PM me with any more questions, and I'll share from my limited resource of knowledge. :)

Have a great trip!

Tom

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tom, thats so much. Great info. Im going to PM you later in the day. IM feeling more and more confident about our choice.

NOW, to start searching for airfare. Its not open yet, but as soon as it does Im going to book.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Check out ChichenItza and Xcaret. There are many guided tours that include both Xcaret and Tulum. Take the ChichenItza tour that includes the Cenote. I have post pictures of ChichenItza and the Cenote previously.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are these through the resort?

Does anyone have a list of what excursions/trips the resort has?

dukebigtom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you flying out of? I'm heading to the GM Riviera Mayan in January 2009 and have been looking for good airfares from Phila and Baltimore/Washington.

BigTom

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
The Grand Mayan has an excellent concierge service that can make arrangements for your tours. You can get at discount on the tours and all related resort fees if you listen to their 90 minute high pressure sales pitch that turns into four hours. You will have a much better vacation if you spend a little extra and avoid the salesmen.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are from upstate NY, but going to fly out of boston. Only $329. Not too bad.

And yes, I have NO interest in going to the pitch!