• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Bought Marriott Vacation Club 8/2/23 Need Advice

Reaction score
Just came back from vacationing in Scottsdale, AZ where we go every year to visit family and stay at the Westin Keirland because it's so cheap during this time of the year.

From what I just read today (didn't know this site existed), it seems like it's a VERY bad idea.

i'm within my 10-day window to cancel.

Here's my breakdown:

Pay $22,000
Year costs is around $1,300

I get 1500 yearly points.
Promotion will give me another 3,000 points.

I also opened up a Marriott Amex CC that will give me 100,000 Bonvoy points.

I'm married with 2 teenagers. I hate time shares and always deny them, but this seemed like a decent idea from how much I spend already.

Tell me without sugar coating it, straight up, should I cancel? I'm leaning towards cancelling it.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came back from vacationing in Scottsdale, AZ where we go every year to visit family and stay at the Westin Keirland because it's so cheap during this time of the year.

From what I just read today (didn't know this site existed), it seems like it's a VERY bad idea.

Here's my breakdown:

Pay $22,000

I'm married with 2 teenagers. I hate time shares and always deny them, but this seemed like a decent idea from how much I spend already.

Tell me without sugar coating it, straight up, should I cancel? I'm leaning towards cancelling i
If you didn't go there knowing you were going to buy and that the price you paid was a good deal then best to rescind.
Follow the instructions on how to do this exactly and ensure that you get proof that you sent the letter.
All the best, its great ownership, but you need to know that it is what you need at the price that you need.

Reaction score
If you didn't go there knowing you were going to buy and that the price you paid was a good deal then best to rescind.
Follow the instructions on how to do this exactly and ensure that you get proof that you sent the letter.
All the best, its great ownership, but you need to know that it is what you need at the price that you need.
Thank you,

So are you saying you enjoy the ownership and I can't just call and cancel it?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

So are you saying you enjoy the ownership and I can't just call and cancel it?
There should be instructions in the pack on how to cancel, follow them exactly. Do not contact the sale team, they will stall you to get beyond the cancellation period and try to get you to change your mind.

Yes I very much enjoy my ownership. We were clear about how much we were spending on vacation lodging, ran the numbers for what the costs would be over a 10-year period and then bought based on that. 20 years on we have been to lots more places and the costs are lower than what we were paying 20 years ago. Now that the resale market is mature it is much easier to buy for next to nothing. Getting the right resale week can generate excellent value for vacations.

Its not for everyone and there are loads of alternative ways of getting vacation lodging now so work out what works for you, and that may not include timeshare.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Look at the resale secondary market. Check Redweek, EBay and the TUG Marketplace. You might be able to find what you need for free. Vistana has great high quality properties. We love our ownerships….and you don’t need to pay retail to own it. If you don’t understand what you bought, rescind and research. If you really want it later you can go back and pay retail later. Welcome to TUG.

Reaction score
There should be instructions in the pack on how to cancel, follow them exactly. Do not contact the sale team, they will stall you to get beyond the cancellation period and try to get you to change your mind.

Yes I very much enjoy my ownership. We were clear about how much we were spending on vacation lodging, ran the numbers for what the costs would be over a 10-year period and then bought based on that. 20 years on we have been to lots more places and the costs are lower than what we were paying 20 years ago. Now that the resale market is mature it is much easier to buy for next to nothing. Getting the right resale week can generate excellent value for vacations.

Its not for everyone and there are loads of alternative ways of getting vacation lodging now so work out what works for you, and that may not include timeshare.
They packet only has the 10 page "Contract For Purchase."

The rest is on a USB thumbtack, which consists of 20ish docs.

Reaction score
Found it I think, want to double check:

YOU MAY CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT WITHOUT ANY PENALTY OR OBLIGATION WITHIN TEN (10) CALENDAR DAYS AFTER THE DATE YOU SIGN THIS CONTRACT OR THE DATE ON WHICH YOU RECEIVE THE LAST OF ALL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO BE GIVEN TO YOU PURSUANT TO SECTION 721.07(6), FLORIDA STATUTES, WHICHEVER IS LATER. IF YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL THIS CONTRACT, YOU MUST NOTIFY THE SELLER IN WRITING OF YOUR INTENT TO CANCEL. YOUR NOTICE OF CANCELLATION SHALL BE EFFECTIVE UPON THE DATE SENT AND SHALL BE SENT TO MARRIOTT OWNERSHIP RESORTS, INC., NEW OWNER ADMINISTRATION, AT «CANC_ADDRESS» OR SENT BY EMAIL TO «CANC_EMAIL». ANY ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN A WAIVER OF YOUR CANCELLATION RIGHT IS VOID AND OF NO EFFECT. WHILE YOU MAY EXECUTE ALL CLOSING DOCUMENTS IN ADVANCE, THE CLOSING, AS EVIDENCED BY DELIVERY OF THE DEED OR OTHER DOCUMENT, BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF YOUR 10 (TEN) DAY CANCELLATION PERIOD, IS PROHIBITED.

Reaction score
Keep looking it is probably in the document set on the USB.
Look at how many docs there are, and some are over 20 pages. Can you pin point it for please? Why the heck don't they just provide from the disclaimer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 10.36.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 10.36.45 PM.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
Keep looking it is probably in the document set on the USB.
Boom!

YOU MAY CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT WITHOUT ANY PENALTY OR OBLIGATION WITHIN TEN (10)

CALENDAR DAYS AFTER THE DATE YOU SIGN THIS CONTRACT OR THE DATE ON WHICH YOU RECEIVE

THE LAST OF ALL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO BE GIVEN TO YOU PURSUANT TO SECTION 721.07(6),

FLORIDA STATUTES, WHICHEVER IS LATER. IF YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL THIS CONTRACT, YOU MUST

NOTIFY THE SELLER IN WRITING OF YOUR INTENT TO CANCEL. YOUR NOTICE OF CANCELLATION

SHALL BE EFFECTIVE UPON THE DATE SENT AND SHALL BE SENT TO MARRIOTT OWNERSHIP

RESORTS, INC., NEW OWNER ADMINISTRATION, AT 15620 N. Clubgate Dr. Scottsdale AZ 85254 OR SENT

BY EMAIL TO phxkw-noasalvage@vacationclub.com. ANY ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN A WAIVER OF YOUR

CANCELLATION RIGHT IS VOID AND OF NO EFFECT. WHILE YOU MAY EXECUTE ALL CLOSING

DOCUMENTS IN ADVANCE, THE CLOSING, AS EVIDENCED BY DELIVERY OF THE DEED OR OTHER

DOCUMENT, BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF YOUR 10 (TEN) DAY CANCELLATION PERIOD, IS PROHIBITED.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos

Here's my breakdown:

Pay $22,000

Tell me without sugar coating it, straight up, should I cancel? I'm leaning towards cancelling it.

Depending on how often you vacation; you may want to figure out what you can get with 1,500 points per year. I see that 1,500 can get you a week at Westin Kierland in the summer (July 5 to Sept 5) in a 1 BR Villa @ 1,450 points. Is that sufficient? If not, there are other solutions the members here can offer.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You can buy 1500 points resale with all rights for about 10k. Rescind immediately. Also note the email address contains the word salvage, they will do everything to salvage the sale so ignore all calls from them after you email. Be sure to have everyone who signed contract sign the rescission.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find your screen name, "Marriott Sucker" offensive.

Is it Marriott's fault that you voluntarily entered into a contract with Marriott Vacation Club? Did someone hold a gun to your head, and say, "sign this, or else?"

It seems to me that you have more issues to sort out, than your purchase of a timeshare.

Leave it to American society to place blame on someone else, for their actions.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boom!

CALENDAR DAYS AFTER THE DATE YOU SIGN THIS CONTRACT OR THE DATE ON WHICH YOU RECEIVE

THE LAST OF ALL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO BE GIVEN TO YOU PURSUANT TO SECTION 721.07(6),

FLORIDA STATUTES, WHICHEVER IS LATER. IF YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL THIS CONTRACT, YOU MUST

NOTIFY THE SELLER IN WRITING OF YOUR INTENT TO CANCEL. YOUR NOTICE OF CANCELLATION

RESORTS, INC., NEW OWNER ADMINISTRATION, AT 15620 N. Clubgate Dr. Scottsdale AZ 85254 OR SENT

BY EMAIL TO phxkw-noasalvage@vacationclub.com. ANY ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN A WAIVER OF YOUR

DOCUMENTS IN ADVANCE, THE CLOSING, AS EVIDENCED BY DELIVERY OF THE DEED OR OTHER

DOCUMENT, BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF YOUR 10 (TEN) DAY CANCELLATION PERIOD, IS PROHIBITED.
Excellent, now ensure that you get the proof of postage and all people who signed the contract sign the recission letter.

All the best

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand your sudden questions and panic, but I'm not sure I agree with calling yourself "Marriott Sucker."

We paid retail for our timeshares (we didn't know about TUG then), but we do not regret it at all. As I've said before, timeshares are like boats. Some of my neighbors have boats and love them and use them often-- boating is their thing. I have other neighbors who bought boats and used them a LOT the first year, then in the next few years their usage dropped off and suddenly they were complaining about the maintenance costs, the hassle and started calling their boat a "rip off and a money pit." It's the same with timeshares. Those who learn the system and "use" them, love them. Those who don't, regret their decisions and call timeshares a ripoff and a scam.

We have traveled the world with our timeshares and had many priceless memories. My oldest son just graduated from college and has a good job and is buying a townhouse. All he wants for decoration is for us to take vacation photos and blow them up into large prints and put them on canvas. He wants the "theme" of his townhouse to be "travel." I think that says a lot.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Fire, ready, aim is rarely a good approach. You have come to a great place to learn. If you don’t rescind, you will have ignored your first one. It takes a lot of learning/work to get the most out of your timeshare to vacation the way you enjoying vacationing. We started our timeshare journey with a 2 and 5 year old. We now have a 32 and 35 year old with spouses, 4 careers and a grandchild. The learning never stops. You need to be up to the challenge. If you are not, your user name will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
"Rescind now while you can." If you do this deal, you will be buying based only on the hype from a salesman and "certainly not because you understand the product and your alternatives." Slow down, this deal will be there and not be lost if you still want it after you review your options.

You likely don't want to rescind for the wrong reasons - disappoint my new best friend the salesman and pride.

Incidentally, Tugg members are not against timeshares as most of us have owned them for years and have had good and bad experiences. Many of us land in a position where we have quite good and usable portfolios at a reasonable price, just be careful.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
The fact you have doubts and unanswered questions is quite literally the most valid reason to rescind immediately and get those questions answered.

rest assured you wont me missing out on anything, and have just saved thousands of dollars, at minimum you are paying twice as much for 1500 points right off the bat.

TUG (and the internet) is full of countless owners who wish they had the opportunity to rescind after they bought. Im not sure ive ever seen someone claim the opposite in going on 30 years =)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll agree with canceling and then learning the system. IF MVC is best for you, you'll work out much better options to fit your needs even if it's a retail purchase later.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind today. Any buyer who signed the contract needs to sign the rescission paperwork.

Go to the Post Office TODAY and send your rescission paperwork via CERTIFIED MAIL. Be sure to save the Postmarked receipt which proves the date you mailed your rescission paperwork.

You can buy anytime you want. You only have the opportunity to rescind ONCE during a brief time period. Don't think twice about rescinding and exercise your right to do so.

Welcome to TUG.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
By the way, better look carefully at how little you can get for the 1,500 points. Have a look at rental prices for entire weeks on Redweek - an under $20 annual membership.

Purchasing resale weeks is another option - you could get a Platinum week at Newport Coast for about $11,000 with maintenance fees of $1,600 per week - a prime resort and there are others.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should definitely rescind. Its a very short window of opportunity. AFTER you rescind- spend some time researching the system and learning about it and then make an informed buying decision instead of a high pressure one! If after you research you still want to become a Marriott owner- BUY RESALE for a fraction of the cost!!

Reaction score
Rescind today. Any buyer who signed the contract needs to sign the rescission paperwork.

Go to the Post Office TODAY and send your rescission paperwork via CERTIFIED MAIL. Be sure to save the Postmarked receipt which proves the date you mailed your rescission paperwork.

You can buy anytime you want. You only have the opportunity to rescind ONCE during a brief time period. Don't think twice about rescinding and exercise your right to do so.

Welcome to TUG.

Thank you, I plan on mailing it today via certified mail and attaching it in an email. The letter I assume is just a generic one that I type up declaring that I officially rescind my club vacation? Is there a go by or specific words that I need to type up for it?

This is what I just found: