• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought discovery points, did I make a mistake?

biggredd

Reaction score
So, I've been lurking here for a bout a week, and am trying to descide if this is a good way to decide on this system. The first doubt came when i was reading the fine print in the book and saw that the 20 months is actually a year use. I paid half upfront so I don't have to wait the 8 months to start using it, however the booklet sais that the 12 mo of use end after first use. The dates on the agreement I signed was one lined and changed to reflect the 20 mo exp vs 12 mo exp, but the description on the nextpage still says 12 mo. I have five days left to rescinded. Trying to get some opinions. 3700 ish for 400000 points and vip. My wife is mad about the 20mo but not sure which date is right. I doubt I can use 400000 points in a year. Is this really a good way to see if points will.work for us?
Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND!

That $3700 would pay for buying almost than many points (400K) off eBay and you would just be paying around MFs of around $200 monthly.

I would look for a 203K contract - either at a resort you would always want to go to (CWP) or a CWA contract of the same point value. The $3700 would most likely pay your buyin cost and YOUR 1st year of MFs.

The Discovery package is offered as a HOOK by the Wyndham sales group. It is their MOST SUCCESSFUL HOOK .. but what they don't tell you is:
They have a SPECIAL phone/service line for Discovery buyers.
They have SPECIAL "held only" inventory for Discovery buyers.
You attend a sales presentation for every trip.
Some dates at PRIME season is only 3 or 4 days as they book back to back clients into 1 week verses the STANDARD PRIME reservation of 7 nights.
You don't have to worry or pay for either HKs or RTs.

The really PRIME WEEKS are booked by owning points at that deeded resort 13 months in advance... I know I was surprised to see a guy checking into the unit midweek next door to me. He was just LOVING the view and unit ... asked him HOW he got a place for 3 nights ... said they offered him several options just a couple of weeks earlier .. but only either 3 or 4 nights. Asked him how long he had owned ... and got info he had brought 3 or 4 months earlier. He loved the place.... Yes, Royal Vista in early MARCH is perfect ... but he was living a la-la land DREAM ... that place is ONLY available to owners at 13 months out and is NOT part of CWA.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Recind. Rent. Then, if you like it, pay cash. Pretty simple. The fine print, now that's something else entirely.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you could rescind and use that money to buy resale. Then you would have the ongoing obligation of annual fees for whatever you bought and you might buy something you don't really want.

What you bought, 400,000 Discovery points is not a terrible thing. It's a chance to try out Wyndham with a prepaid vacation. You can easily get 2 weeks during prime time at even the newest most popular resorts. What we did is take advantage of the land and sea package in the discovery directory to combine a stay at several resorts and a short cruise using our package points.

Are you thinking now that you bought more points than you can use in one year? That's an important discovery and I guess it's one reason they sell these packages.

I'm a little confused over your 20 months vs. 12 months question. You should get a full 12 months to use the points and you begin the 12 months after you pay a certain part of the cost.

Please keep in mind that a feature of the Discovery package is application of what you paid toward a retail purchase. They will press you to attend an exit interview after you use the points. You don't have any obligation to attend or sign any waivers. Part of your Discovery might well be that you never want to attend another meeting!

So, you do still have a decision to make. If that's too many points or if you can't get $3700 worth of vacation from them, please rescind.

On this forum, you can begin to learn if Wyndham is right for you. You can learn better how timeshares work and how much, if any, you need. You might decide to just rent from someone here on the forum.

In either case, Welcome to TUG. Your shared thoughts and experiences makes us all richer.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score

During two Discovery packages, we never got asked to attend the presentation until the end of the package. I only recommend going to that one if someone wants to buy retail and use that package money toward it. If someone's decided to go resale, they should refuse to go or to sign any papers.

biggredd

Reaction score
I paid 1700 up front so I can use the points right away. The usually it takes 8 months to hit the point you can use the points then you have 12 months to use them. According to the program description your year use begins then. The "marketing" rep told us we have 20 months to use them and could probably get a few more months if we call and ask. The problem is, according to the booklet, if we book right away we would only have 12 months to use the points not the 20 we were promised.
I like the idea of having a TS, but I also like to travel overseas. I want to visit several places in Europe and go back to Asia, ect. None of the vacation clubs seem to help there unless there are some good trade options. I guess I need to do some more thinking and research. Thanks for all of the help.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, I lived in Deland for 3.5 years ... :hi:

Just cancel the package and relax while looking into the Wyndham system. Most of us here KNOW that $1700 can be used to buy in full (Paid in Full) a goodly number of Wyndham points.

If you are trying to decide IF the resorts suit you ... there are MANY version of style and formats of resorts. Some are new and glitzy ... others are some of the first units in RCI (RCI0001 is Wyndham Shawnee Resort - the very first RCI resort). Do go visit and walk the properties. Many times the Front Desk during a slow period will walk you thru an empty unit ... by asking, "I am thinking of booking a family get together ... but haven't stayed here. Could I perhaps see a unit?" Do not ask on FRI, SAT or SUN ... try to ask midAM to late afternoon.

Remember, that Discovery purchase is a SALES HOOK .... who wants to walk away from $1700 by saying, "I am going to buy resale and spend another $1700 onsale points?" .... that totals $3400. Rescind now and spend that money via renting or buying you own set of points.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
RESCIND!

That $3700 would pay for buying almost than many points (400K) off eBay and you would just be paying around MFs of around $200 monthly.

I would look for a 203K contract - either at a resort you would always want to go to (CWP) or a CWA contract of the same point value. The $3700 would most likely pay your buyin cost and YOUR 1st year of MFs.

The Discovery package is offered as a HOOK by the Wyndham sales group. It is their MOST SUCCESSFUL HOOK .. but what they don't tell you is:
They have a SPECIAL phone/service line for Discovery buyers.
They have SPECIAL "held only" inventory for Discovery buyers.
Some dates at PRIME season is only 3 or 4 days as they book back to back clients into 1 week verses the STANDARD PRIME reservation of 7 nights.
You don't have to worry or pay for either HKs or RTs.

The really PRIME WEEKS are booked by owning points at that deeded resort 13 months in advance... I know I was surprised to see a guy checking into the unit midweek next door to me. He was just LOVING the view and unit ... asked him HOW he got a place for 3 nights ... said they offered him several options just a couple of weeks earlier .. but only either 3 or 4 nights. Asked him how long he had owned ... and got info he had brought 3 or 4 months earlier. He loved the place.... Yes, Royal Vista in early MARCH is perfect ... but he was living a la-la land DREAM ... that place is ONLY available to owners at 13 months out and is NOT part of CWA.
I've gotten an Ocean Front 2 br unit out by the beach on 10 month advance. This was late June.