• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought a Sheraton Flex plan, still debating on rescind... (2017)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Dioxide45 thank you so much for being so fast in helping me, Must be a hand write letter? Can I send a copy of my purchase agreement to help them find and cancel my contract easily? Do you have any model that I could copy?
My main concern about the sheraton Flex was the price that they charged me versus the price that I found online, after getting home.
It can be handwritten or typed. You certainly can include a copy of your agreement, but be sure to keep a copy for yourself. Here is a link to a free TUG Advice article with some sample language for the letter.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

Given that you are mailing from Brazil, I would perhaps also suggest some other method of delivery. What exactly does the contract say on how to deliver it? Is there also a fax or email option? Send my courier/mail and also some other method if there is one provided.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It can be handwritten or typed. You certainly can include a copy of your agreement, but be sure to keep a copy for yourself. Here is a link to a free TUG Advice article with some sample language for the letter.

Given that you are mailing from Brazil, I would perhaps also suggest some other method of delivery. What exactly does the contract say on how to deliver it? Is there also a fax or email option? Send my courier/mail and also some other method if there is one provided.
Perfect, I will keep a copy, is only by mail, but I will send on monday on a fast delivery, probably will be on wednesday there.

upload_2018-10-28_0-1-49.png

upload_2018-10-28_0-2-21.png

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Dioxide, I sent today the cancellation letter by mail, during the 10 days cancellation period, but I would like also tho send all the information (because I took photos of the mail, documents and the receipt) to them by e-mail do you or anyone else have the e-mail of the Sheraton Flex Vacation from the Sheraton Vistana Villages Resort? Thank You so much

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought and I am afraid we were sold a flex program to upgrade our existing paid off weeks. We were told it is much more flexible to use by going through interval just like the spg program. We were told we could book any resort with points. Is this only through interval? I see one tug people are selling flex so I am guessing the 15000 was way too much to spend to convert. Yikes don't see rescission paperwork in packet!

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also told they will not be offering this " deal " for long as the price per point will triple to exchange. Sales pitch was flex program does not have to pass to heirs upon death and our original timeshare does. Is it true your children have to accept your timeshare when you die. I think I need to do more research before this purchase.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Rescind now. Your heirs are not required to accept your timeshare Total lie

Hurry before your deadline else you will be locked in.

Good luck.

P.S. With the Marriott acquisition of ILG/Vistana IMO I would wait and see what happens to the programs before buying any more.

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we just got pitched the new merger flex option to buy Marriott access with points. We would "upgrade" our 3 sheraton weeks to get flex points and easier access to resorts via interval. 15grand to upgrade. Will be sending rescission letter. Not convinced it is a good deal.Sales person sales marriott only offering for limited time but it looks like this program has been around awhile. Paperwork all days sheraton flex nothing about Marriott.

[Duplicate post/topic; moved from Marriott forum. - SueDonJ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Others can chime in to correct me if I am wrong. I understand that a Flex point = a Staroption = an Interval point. Therefore the cost of a week will be whatever the interval points chart dictate for a week in a certain season and size.

This article shows the points charts for Marriott, Hyatt and Starwood.
http://www.thetimeshareguru.com/blo...rams-for-exchanging-in-interval-international
One can deposit all your points and even combine them from year to year as far as I understand. I think points have to be used within two years though.

I have been looking into acquiring points because, I live in Denver now and have three resorts within driving distance where I can use them. We stayed at Sheraton Steamboat using an AC trading into a mud week and really liked the resort. I had a 10min sit down with a sales rep who pitched points. The cost however was quite prohibitive.

I think that one can actually have a small saving in MFs if you own mid season weeks. The saving is significant if you own a low season week but you definately loose out if you own a high season week. I was quoted an MF of .01525/point.

The negatives are that points are voluntary which means I cannot use it for Staroptions exchanges if bought resale. However, if I pay Interval fees, I may be able to snag a week at one of the other resorts like Lagunamar by using my points in Interval. One of the positives for me is that I can book 12-8 months out before other Staroptions owners can at one of the 8 resorts within the system(Please note that if you bought from the developer or paid to 'upgrade' you can make the same booking to any of the other resorts in the system making use of Staroptions from 8 months out). This is only relevant because I can make use of the three resorts close to me, especially during high season booking into a ski week. The other thing I like is that I can make flexible bookings from 1-10 nights during any season in any room type and save, splurge or come out even depending on the situation.

So my take home is that if you own high season weeks you are best not to convert/upgrade and if you want to travel during high season mainly, it is best not to buy points either. I do think though that if you live close to one of the 8 resorts in the system and want to go there often that it may be worth buying resale points and then use Interval to try and trade into the other resorts(High season weeks may be very difficult though, and also, popular destinations. The sooner you get your request in the better as this will be be the only determinator because, there is no ambivelance toward TDI power because you already paid with your points knowing what power you will have).

Hope this helps somebody to make lemonade from lemons if you are past rescission or if you are weighing acquiring resale points versus a mandatory resort.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I agree with maybe waiting to see what happens unless you are very sure that you will be happy with the terms and conditions that will not change.

I do not want this to turn into a speculation thread but the more I researched the Starwood system(I also own Marriott and am enrolled and have a small amount of points) the more I think there will probably be some kind of conversion rate to use between the systems. They will likely charge a conversion fee per transaction, have an extra membership fee per year or make you buy Marriott points for the privelage to confert for free with the included club dues.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So we just got pitched the new merger flex option to buy Marriott access with points. We would "upgrade" our 3 sheraton weeks to get flex points and easier access to resorts via interval. 15grand to upgrade. Will be sending rescission letter. Not convinced it is a good deal.Sales person sales marriott only offering for limited time but it looks like this program has been around awhile. Paperwork all days sheraton flex nothing about Marriott.

[Duplicate post/topic; moved from Marriott forum. - SueDonJ]

It sounds like you attended a presentation at a Sheraton property (or perhaps Westin) and were sold points in Sheraton Flex? If so, those have no access to book in to Marriott properties, regardless of whatever the sales person told you. Do send your rescission letter!

Last edited by a moderator:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Venter What would it cost to buy resale for $15000 for the resort(s) they want and trade via Interval? OR save the $15,000 and deposit what they own into Interval? or rent for several years for $15000. Why would Flex be superior?

P.S. I know nothing about Flex so YMMV

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Venter What would it cost to buy resale for $15000 for the resort(s) they want and trade via Interval? OR save the $15,000 and deposit what they own into Interval? or rent for several years for $15000. Why would Flex be superior?

P.S. I know nothing about Flex so YMMV
Sorry, I did not mean to say that they should not rescind. I just wanted to make the point that sometimes we do not see value in something but other people may.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Others can chime in to correct me if I am wrong. I understand that a Flex point = a Staroption = an Interval point. Therefore the cost of a week will be whatever the interval points chart dictate for a week in a certain season and size.

http://www.thetimeshareguru.com/blo...rams-for-exchanging-in-interval-international
One can deposit all your points and even combine them from year to year as far as I understand. I think points have to be used within two years though.

I think that one can actually have a small saving in MFs if you own mid season weeks. The saving is significant if you own a low season week but you definately loose out if you own a high season week. I was quoted an MF of .01525/point.

So my take home is that if you own high season weeks you are best not to convert/upgrade and if you want to travel during high season mainly, it is best not to buy points either. I do think though that if you live close to one of the 8 resorts in the system and want to go there often that it may be worth buying resale points and then use Interval to try and trade into the other resorts(High season weeks may be very difficult though, and also, popular destinations. The sooner you get your request in the better as this will be be the only determinator because, there is no ambivelance toward TDI power because you already paid with your points knowing what power you will have).

I am not clear what you are trying to convey here. I think you are mistaken about high vs. mid vs. low season MF.

If you own a high season ski week, and then you always want to go there during high season, keep the week. MF for a week does not change whether you own a high vs. mid vs. low season.

If you want to own Sheraton Flex points, MF is paid per point. If you go during high season, you will need to more points. MF per point does not change, only point requirement changes depending on when you want to book your stay. If you want to stay during high season you will need more points to book and as such it costs more.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not clear what you are trying to convey here. I think you are mistaken about high vs. mid vs. low season MF.

If you own a high season ski week, and then you always want to go there during high season, keep the week. MF for a week does not change whether you own a high vs. mid vs. low season.

If you want to own Sheraton Flex points, MF is paid per point. If you go during high season, you will need to more points. MF per point does not change, only point requirement changes depending on when you want to book your stay. If you want to stay during high season you will need more points to book and as such it costs more.
In some of the other threads it seemed as if the sale schpiel was about lowering MFs by giving back your week and getting points. This is what mean by it.

My point excactly. A point price is a point price except if you compare it to a week and the price/Staroption you get after MF for that week.
My example is that there is a free week available here on Tugg at one of the three CO resorts during summer season. I considered taking this week but then when I calculated the cost per Staroptions I realized it would make more sense to get resale Flex options that I could use flexibly but at nearly the same cost and at different venues. This reasoning may apply to someone who lives near the Florida resorts or the Mertle Beach property.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In some of the other threads it seemed as if the sale schpiel was about lowering MFs by giving back your week and getting points. This is what mean by it.

My point excactly. A point price is a point price except if you compare it to a week and the price/Staroption you get after MF for that week.
My example is that there is a free week available here on Tugg at one of the three CO resorts during summer season. I considered taking this week but then when I calculated the cost per Staroptions I realized it would make more sense to get resale Flex options that I could use flexibly but at nearly the same cost and at different venues. This reasoning may apply to someone who lives near the Florida resorts or the Mertle Beach property.

Can Flex MF be lower than using multiple low season mandatory weeks to book a high season stay? Absolutely.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do mot want to go of topic. I have been a member for a while but you will see that my posts are not many. It is mainly that I like to feel confident about my perspective before posting. This is because, Tuggers are great at helping but can sometimes seem as if their views are the only ones that matter. I think specifically of a thread where somebody critisized bogey21 for always making the same point and not agreeing with it. If bogey21 then stops posting this site will be poorer because not everybody's views and knowledge will be available so that those reading it can make up their own minds after taking all into consideration.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

key problem with that article is that they are comparing apples to tractors to paper napkins.

"For this analysis, we will assume that we have 4,500 Marriott Vacation Club points, 1,300 Hyatt Vacation Club points and 110,000 Vistana StarOptions."

you need to convert these three point system values to some common currency to actually compare them. a better way of doing this would be to compare what $1000 of MFs gets you for each system. i'm going to assume 4500 and 1300 and 110000 points in the three systems don't cost the same, so how on earth can you compare those specific values...

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, .I agree somewhat. I really linked the article for the charts which was hard for me to find.

On merrit and from what I read on the Hyatt forum they do have a good deal with Interval.

2000 -2200 is what you get for most high value weeks in Hyatt.
As .marriott owner I did not think that points used in Interval were very good value but, then again, I do not own points rich weeks.
With Sheraton it at least looks fair to het h high value exchange for another and have a little left over.

Last edited:

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now. Your heirs are not required to accept your timeshare Total lie

Hurry before your deadline else you will be locked in.

Good luck.

P.S. With the Marriott acquisition of ILG/Vistana IMO I would wait and see what happens to the programs before buying any more.
omg thank YOU SO MUCH . i AM SO ANGRY that after over 20 years owning a starwood property I fell for this deception! I thought this was a new MAriott program that would allow us more flexibility only to find out they tried to swindle us out of our expensive Princeville, and Keirland properties to switch to a flex with Sheraton that does not allow us to even look at any other properties on the Vistana signature website! 150000 to DOWNGRADE us to the flex program. What a sham. I marched back to the sales office and gave them their kindle and we signed the rescind letter there. But because of the deception I am also sending a duplicate letter to the address on the contract. I do not trust them to get paperwork done. So I mad I fell for it. I knew after a quick TUG search about the flex program that something was wrong. I do feel Mariott will change our system in the future but for now I am sticking with what I have. Thanks again for helping us avoid a costly mistake!

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
omg thank YOU SO MUCH . i AM SO ANGRY that after over 20 years owning a starwood property I fell for this deception! I thought this was a new MAriott program that would allow us more flexibility only to find out they tried to swindle us out of our expensive Princeville, and Keirland properties to switch to a flex with Sheraton that does not allow us to even look at any other properties on the Vistana signature website! 150000 to DOWNGRADE us to the flex program. What a sham. I marched back to the sales office and gave them their kindle and we signed the rescind letter there. But because of the deception I am also sending a duplicate letter to the address on the contract. I do not trust them to get paperwork done. So I mad I fell for it. I knew after a quick TUG search about the flex program that something was wrong. I do feel Mariott will change our system in the future but for now I am sticking with what I have. Thanks again for helping us avoid a costly mistake!
I have never been through the rescission process but from the feedback of others on this site, Vistana has always been very good about accepting prospective buyer's rescission notices. Glad you were able to back out in time.

Balaji

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a similar story to tell...

Yes.. i was coerced into signing up for a vacation ownership plan with vistana on the 28th of January 2019 while on vacation to Orlando, Florida.
I returned back on the 30th and after some research (thanks to tugbbs) soon realized that what i had signed up for was not worth..so i sent in my rescind mail (certified USPS post) on the 2nd February, which was delivered on the 5th of February (well within the 10 day policy for rescinding)
Today i.e 11th February i get a mail from Vistana, asking me to complete the bank detail formalities for the loan processing.
I dont know what to make of it - should i keep quiet and ignore that? or should i call them and check on the status of my rescind request?

Thanks for helping...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
By "bank detail formalities" are they asking you for info for your refund, or what? If that's not what they are asking for, you should ignore it and sit tight, because they probably just haven't had time to process your revision/refund, yet. Vistana it a reputable company that follows the law, and if you rescinded property, you shouldn't have any problems.

Balaji

Reaction score
Thanks!
While signing up, i did not provide my bank account number and routing number to set up auto pay for the monthly loan payments. I had told them i would need to check and update later. So they sent a mail requesting for the same.
I would just ignore that and sit tight waiting for my refund to be processed.

Another update: today morning i got an email from them welcoming me to the vistana owner services team. i guess this might be one of their automated emails.

Thanks again.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Long story short... I played their game better than they could and ended up with 162,000 annual StarOptions (or whatever they're called these days) and about 150,000 SPG (hotel) points (equal to 450,000 of today's points). I spent almost exactly a total of $10,000.

If you have any reservations whatsoever, rescind. It's not like you can't buy it back if you have another bout of poor decision making. Don't take it personally. Most of us have done it before. They make it confusing on purpose. A timeshare salesman is a lower life form than a used care salesman - which I've been. And, yes, everything you've heard about that job is 100% true.

Balaji

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

update - today morning i got a pleasant surprise...i got an alert from my bank about the refund from vistana (sheraton flex plan) ...its much much less than the 45 day time period...in fact it has been just over a week since i sent in my rescind letter .. thanks to TUGBBS...

Cheers!