• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought 1,000 pts, access to more inventory?

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
It was explained to me by a salesperson that the only thing that matters in making reservations is availability. Number of points, being a Chairman, Executive, President or any other of their "elite" designations has no bearing. Availability is a problem.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I don't think the OP knows what they paid. But I hope they divulge the cost of 1,000 points. I thought there was a going rate for DC points? I see tochoa25 selling a bunch of Marriott DC points on ebay. I have considered it but chose not to after a lot of back and forth with Rick. He says he will leave it up to me, and so far I have done well, but I am afraid that DC is not something that will work well for us.

mhwexler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Background, we don’t own in Marriott system, we own WKORV. Our friends bought MMO over 20 years ago, 2 br lockoff. We met with them last night and during a presentation (this past week) they were told they needed to buy at least 1,000 more points to see more inventory. They say they have access at 13 months and can elect over 4,000 points/yr. I think it was around 4300 or 4700 pts. They were given 2,000 1-time use points + ? And I didn’t even get a price they paid. Salesman stated it would turn their week into a hybrid week and showed how there was inventory they couldn’t see by trying to search for even just 1 day over a time range , but stated they’d have access if they bought at least 1,000 pts. These are really good friends but unfortunately I don’t know the Marriott points system to advise but know that generally salesman is probably just looking for a sale. Of course, I don’t want them to feel bad about their purchase so listened and asked to get what few points I’ve described here. Should I advise them to rescind before it’s too late? I don’t have any more specific details, sorry.

they have points expiring by end of this year so plan to come back to Maui before end of this year.

We attended a presentation last weel
Background, we don’t own in Marriott system, we own WKORV. Our friends bought MMO over 20 years ago, 2 br lockoff. We met with them last night and during a presentation (this past week) they were told they needed to buy at least 1,000 more points to see more inventory. They say they have access at 13 months and can elect over 4,000 points/yr. I think it was around 4300 or 4700 pts. They were given 2,000 1-time use points + ? And I didn’t even get a price they paid. Salesman stated it would turn their week into a hybrid week and showed how there was inventory they couldn’t see by trying to search for even just 1 day over a time range , but stated they’d have access if they bought at least 1,000 pts. These are really good friends but unfortunately I don’t know the Marriott points system to advise but know that generally salesman is probably just looking for a sale. Of course, I don’t want them to feel bad about their purchase so listened and asked to get what few points I’ve described here. Should I advise them to rescind before it’s too late? I don’t have any more specific details, sorry.

they have points expiring by end of this year so plan to come back to Maui before end of this year.

We attended a presentation last week and if I understand the changes

mhwexler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We attended a presentation last week and if I understand the changes that are happening (which I may not since the information was very confusing), starting in January Trust Point Owners will not be able to book Marriott Timeshares through Interval International and Enrolled Week owners can only trade for inventory from other Enrolled Week owners. By purchasing 1000 Trust Points, Enrolled Points get the ability to trade directly for trust point inventory.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
We attended a presentation last week and if I understand the changes that are happening (which I may not since the information was very confusing), starting in January Trust Point Owners will not be able to book Marriott Timeshares through Interval International and Enrolled Week owners can only trade for inventory from other Enrolled Week owners. By purchasing 1000 Trust Points, Enrolled Points get the ability to trade directly for trust point inventory.

$15K for 1000 points will solve all your problems. Next year, you will hear a new story on why you need to spend another $15K.

See the links in post #5 for how long this pitch has been going on...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You likely understood what they told you but it's hogwash. Nothing is changing with II and buying the 1000 pts gives you nothing of substance except an extra 1000 pts that was expensive.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Currently you can‘t book MVC properties using DC points (trust or elected) on II.
If your use of the word “Marriott” is correct that might be a change in January since currently the other Marriott brands (Vistana/Sheraton/Westin) can be booked with DC points.

MVC wants all weeks owners to enroll so it doesn’t make sense to restrict exchange access for enrolled owners.
I think you may have misunderstood that part.

I’m curious about this wave of buy 1000 points posts.
There was never a push to buy that few before.
Seems like there is something new coming that will required enrolled owners to have 1000 trust points also in order to X.
Now to see what X is.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Seems like there is something new coming that will required enrolled owners to have 1000 trust points also in order to X.
Now to see what X is.

"X" is not necessarily a real thing. It is basically whatever needs to be said to the owners in order for them to sign on the dotted line. There is a reason they do all that small talk when they meet you - they need to find out the "X" that will trigger you.

"X" changes based on which owner is attending the presentation. It also changes over time to match whatever is going on with the program. But it's almost certain to be something appealing to the listener, and can be attained for about $15K.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
"X" is not necessarily a real thing. It is basically whatever needs to be said to the owners in order for them to sign on the dotted line. There is a reason they do all that small talk when they meet you - they need to find out the "X" that will trigger you.

"X" changes based on which owner is attending the presentation. It also changes over time to match whatever is going on with the program. But it's almost certain to be something appealing to the listener, and can be attained for about $15K.
Yes, this could be just sales people yapping.
But the thing is I have seen several posts on buying 1000 points.
The push used to be to buy many more.
When we were pitched it was always 2000.
1000 points doesn’t really get you anywhere.
And since we know there are changes occurring with the other brands I just wonder if there will be a need to have 1000 trust points to do “something”.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently you can‘t book MVC properties using DC points (trust or elected) on II.
If your use of the word “Marriott” is correct that might be a change in January since currently the other Marriott brands (Vistana/Sheraton/Westin) can be booked with DC points.

MVC wants all weeks owners to enroll so it doesn’t make sense to restrict exchange access for enrolled owners.
I think you may have misunderstood that part.

Now to see what X is.
I suspect the sales staff has figured out it's easier to sell 1000 pts for $15K than 3000 for $45K. Possibly with corporate pivoting that direction as well.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I suspect the sales staff has figured out it's easier to sell 1000 pts for $15K than 3000 for $45K. Possibly with corporate pivoting that direction as well.

I believe that is the case as well. They must have seen the success of the Vistana "retro" program at the lower threshold numbers* (see note below)

This is maybe similar to how Continental said they would eliminate United's Economy Plus after the acquisition, until they saw how profitable it actually was and did a full about-face on that idea.

(*Since this is the Marriott board, I will explain that Vistana has a "retro" program that allows resale weeks to be treated as if they were developer-bought, including internal points trading, Bonvoy point exchange, Elite status eligibility, corporate II account etc - similar to Marriott's "enrolling a resale week". Back in the day that used to require a developer spend of $20K per resale week and $40K developer spend to retro/requalify Hawaii and Caribbean properties. However, in more recent years it went down to $10K spend for the first resale week retro and $5K for additional retro weeks, so owners could "retro" 4 resale weeks for $25k developer spend. I suspect that the sales "hit rate" and, more importantly, the overall associated revenue were much higher at the lower spend levels.)

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
@luv_maui tell your friends to rescind and buy resale. mind sharing their TS sales price?
They didn’t tell me, so guessing too much. Our conversation ended when they told me the rescission period was 3 days and it was too late to rescind, and didn’t answer my cost for 1,000pts question.

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
They didn’t tell me, so guessing too much. Our conversation ended when they told me the rescission period was 3 days and it was too late to rescind, and didn’t answer my cost for 1,000pts question.
It sounds like maybe they don't want to rescind? I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm not inclined to try to talk people out of a decision they've made. If my opinion is asked for, I'd give it and lay out the facts, but after that, I'd be done. Particularly, if this is a purchase that won't cause your friends financial distress.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott grand vista
Ko olina
Canyon villas
To the OP, You do not want to own 1000 MVC points. WHY Because at some point you'll need to sell them and you can only sell 1000 points to another current owner. The smallest amount of points someone can own is 1500 (without an enrolled week)
Can you clarify? My daughter only owns 1000 pts and no weeks.

JSteveW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
There was a period when Wyndham "owner update" sales people said an additional reason to buy more points was they could be used to pay maintenance fees. Of course they don't mention that you will have additional maintenance fees with the new points. And they conversion ratio of points to dollars of maintenance fees was terrible.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Desert Springs Villas I, which converts to 3225 points. How many more points must I purchase in order to be able to reserve in highly desirable locations like Maui in 13 months? And if I need to purchase at least 1500 points as Bill suggests, is the $9000 price tag (at $6/point) worth it?
Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like there is something new coming that will required enrolled owners to have 1000 trust points

We were in Ko'Olina for a presentation in January and were told the normal minimal sell is 2000 points but they were running a special promotion and we could buy just 1000 points. They were using the reason that adding to my 3225 DSV points would give me the 4000 I would need for VIP/Hybrid (there is a long discussion about VIP and Hybrid status on this thread: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/t...on-of-vistana-and-marriott-ownerships.331992/ )
We then went to Maui Ocean Club in May and sat for another presentation (we went on a promotion we purchased in January) Now we were told the minimum purchase was 1500 points.
But I agree. 1000-1500 points may just be an easier price point for a sale.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came from another presentation last week.
1000 DC pts minimum.

Interesting, the rep mentioned on a PowerPoint presentation how next year's Interval International book will no longer include Marriott Vacation Clubs to exchange into, meaning you can only reserve MVC properties using DC points.

So, since it's is no longer just verbal, but on a printed presentation, has Marriott really been eliminated from Interval International as an option?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, since it's is no longer just verbal, but on a printed presentation, has Marriott really been eliminated from Interval International as an option?
It seems extraordinarily unlikely. They are deeded weeks, so if for whatever reason II decided not to host MVC trades, the owners, their weeks, and that revenue stream would just move to another exchange - SFX or whatever. A lot of money to leave on the table...

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1000 DC pts minimum.

Interesting, the rep mentioned on a PowerPoint presentation how next year's Interval International book will no longer include Marriott Vacation Clubs to exchange into, meaning you can only reserve MVC properties using DC points.

Not a chance.
If this were to happen, there would be a significant number of the several hundred thousand unenrolled Weeks owners whose Weeks would no longer be in play.
That would not be in anyone’s best interest, including MVC’s.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
1000 DC pts minimum.

did the power point say "meaning you can only reserve MVC points using dc points"? Because they could certainly take out MVC resorts out of the books for MVC destination club owners because they don't really need the info about MVC resorts in the II directory, but that doesn't mean that MVC owners or anyone else could or could not exchange into MVC through II.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

A printed presentation is not a binding contact. A purchase contract that I have states:

"This is agreement is the only agreement between Us and You and all prior contemporaneous negotiations are superseded and all prior agreements, arrangements, representations and understandings are not legally binding on Us and You and are replaced by this agreement. The only representations, agreements, and warranties made by Us are those specified in this Agreement and in the documents specified in Paragraph [ ]"

So just ask them to include that Powerpoint slide as an addendum to the purchase agreement and, based on the response, you will know how much that presentation is reliable or whether you should consider it as part of a decision-making process.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
A printed presentation is not a binding contact. A purchase contract that I have states:

"This is agreement is the only agreement between Us and You and all prior contemporaneous negotiations are superseded and all prior agreements, arrangements, representations and understandings are not legally binding on Us and You and are replaced by this agreement. The only representations, agreements, and warranties made by Us are those specified in this Agreement and in the documents specified in Paragraph [ ]"

So just ask them to include that Powerpoint slide as an addendum to the purchase agreement and, based on the response, you will know how much that presentation is reliable or whether you should consider it as part of a decision-making process.
We didn't get that far to ask for adding the slide to a purchase agreement. He did a few things that didn't ride well with us so we ended the convo without moving forward.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
We didn't get that far to ask for adding the slide to a purchase agreement. He did a few things that didn't ride well with us so we ended the convo without moving forward.

I was making that suggestion half-jokingly... They would never agree to put anything that suggests "II exchanges will dry up" in a contract because some salespeople have been saying it for years and it hasn't happened yet. No sane in-house lawyer would allow that.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was making that suggestion half-jokingly... They would never agree to put anything that suggests "II exchanges will dry up" in a contract because some salespeople have been saying it for years and it hasn't happened yet. No sane in-house lawyer would allow that.
Haha I thought you were serious! So glad we didn't fall for that at the update, but it would not be a good thing if Marriott's were removed from II