• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just back from Maui Schooner

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Maui Schooner last night after being there for 6 days.
Everything was fine except for the unit we had was on the third floor and we had 2 couples (luckily not 3 couples). The set-up on the third floor did not work well for us. The unit has a downstairs kitchen, living room, bathroom, and bedroom. Every time someone moves downstairs it echos upstairs. The upstairs is like a loft and you have no privacy. The bathroom has a door that also gives no privacy. Even the light from downstairs shines upstairs when on. I can't imagine how it would have been with a third couple. I couldn't even go downstairs to make coffee without wakeing my wife up from the little bit of noise and this was with me being as quite as possible.
The staff was nice and they say this is the only floor with that layout.
Bart

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
we are heading there the first week of June. Are there 2 bedroom units that are NOT the loft style?

It will just be my dd and me so it shouldn'tbe too much of a problem but it would be nice to know so I can put in a request before we go

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
I believe only the 3rd floor in the B building have the lofts. Other floors or all of the A building are without the lofts if I'm not mistaken.

We just came back a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time and no complaints.

barefootnAR

Reaction score
The lofts are only in Building B on third floor. There are some 2 bedrooms on 1st and 2nd floors with no lofts in building B. There are no lofts in building A.
@chellej What day is your check-in?
@Mike,,Did you get one of the renovated rooms?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Those sound very much like the set up for all of the 3-bedroom units are Maui Hill.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what we were told

we are heading there the first week of June. Are there 2 bedroom units that are NOT the loft style?

It will just be my dd and me so it shouldn'tbe too much of a problem but it would be nice to know so I can put in a request before we go

We asked at the office as we were leaving and were told they were reg. units in the other buildings and other floors. (too late for us). Just make sure you know what you are getting before booking it.
Bart

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
No but I did see one of the new units. They are nicely done.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have a, perhaps irrational, mental block against this place. "Schooner" just sounds like second-rate place-to-sleep condo accommodations. Is this place really nice?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The lofts are only in Building B on third floor. There are some 2 bedrooms on 1st and 2nd floors with no lofts in building B. There are no lofts in building A.
@chellej What day is your check-in?
@Mike,,Did you get one of the renovated rooms?

We check in on June 2. How far in advance should I request a unit?

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smaller Area

For some reason I have a, perhaps irrational, mental block against this place. "Schooner" just sounds like second-rate place-to-sleep condo accommodations. Is this place really nice?

Small office area, small pool with bbq's near it, public tennis courts behind with grassy field. Not like a big complex with tons of flowers, etc. Both beds seemed large (kings I'm guessing. Simple furniture inside with table and chairs on balcony. The units do have bathrobes, beach chairs for beach, beath towels, and hand carry cooler to use. Ice machine near pool.
Bart

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

The way to check it out is to visit and take a tour. It isn't a Marriott but it certainly isn't motel 6 either. Check the reviews. All rooms are being upgraded over a five year time period so the owners don't get hit with a $5800 special assessment like those at the Point at Poipu. It is also owned and Democratically managed by the owners, not some remote corporation.

No way it it second rate or we wouldn't own three weeks.

On second thought motel 6 on Maui doesn't sound like a bad idea. Neither does a tent on the beach at Maui sound bad.

Sterling

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'll have to broaden my mind. And I definitely like the approach to not murdering owners with SAs.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe

Guess it all depends what you want. It is not a luxury timeshare like HGVC, Marriott, etc but:
1. You don't have to set your alarm to 6am to get a lounge by the pool
2. You don't have to walk for an hour to get to the pool or the beach
3. You don't have to deal with staff who really wish they weren't working
4. You don't have to pay thousands and thousands to get your week at an oceanfront resort

You do get.....Maui!

barefootnAR

Reaction score
We check in on June 2. How far in advance should I request a unit?
Owners will have first choice. We get to book our unit of choice 18 months out.
Some trading companies usually don't send request until a couple of week before arrival of guest.
The front desk doesn't assign exchange units until 12-10 days before your arrival.
Hope you get a room that fits your needs.

@Mike..thanks for the report.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners will have first choice. We get to book our unit of choice 18 months out.
Some trading companies usually don't send request until a couple of week before arrival of guest.
The front desk doesn't assign exchange units until 12-10 days before your arrival.
Hope you get a room that fits your needs.

@Mike..thanks for the report.

I called and the lady at the front desk was very nice. SHe couldn't guarantee anything but said we would definitely NOT be put in the two units I told her I did not want (Only have 1 AC unit). Said that a little closer to checkin she might be able to put us in a regular 2 bedroom opposed to a loft unit. We'll see...we'll be happy regardless.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What units only have 1 AC unit? We have a two week exchnge coming up at the Schooner, and I really don't want a 2 bedroom unit with only one AC unit!

barefootnAR

Reaction score
There are three different floor plans for the 2 bedrooms.. website only shows the loft floor plan:ponder: The second floor plan has both bedrooms as you enter the unit, one to each side of hallway entry. These have a larger lanai like the loft units have. The third floor plan has master bedroom ocean front and second bedroom near the entry way, these have a small lanai and are only in the A bldg. Not all 2 bedroom units in A building have ocean front master bedrooms only a few do.
Hope this isn't confusing.