• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jar opener NOT can opener

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an automatic one such as Black and Decker? How do you like it?

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one and like it a lot. With arthritis in my hands, I don't have the strength I used to in order to open those jar tops. It doesn't work for every size, but when it works, it works great! Got mine on eBay . .

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought mine at Costco. I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, it's priceless. I can't open those darn tomato sauce jars or applesauce for that matter, without using the B&D Jar opener. I am glad I bought it but I am sad it takes up so much precious counter space. :rolleyes:

coyote

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one under the counter. You can not see it. It looks like a slightly raised metal 'V' attached to a small flat metal square piece. I just slide the jar onto the 'V' and twist. Works like a charm. It is my favourite kitchen gadget. Charlotte

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't have one...I do have an adjustible strap thingie that works, but it is hard to describe.

For tomato sauce jars or applesauce, take the pointy edge of a "church key" can opener and stick it under the rim of the jar. It will release the vacuum and make it easy to open. Doesn't work for everything, but it does for most.

Fern

CSB

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My trick for opening a jar is to put an elastic band around the lid and then it opens much easier. Most of the time the problem is getting a good grip. I have various sized elastic bands in my kitchen drawer and use the size that fits the lids properly. I usually hit the lid on the edge with a dull knife a couple of times before adding the elastic band.

I don't know if this would help people with arthritis :shrug:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have an automatic one. I do have several of the V shaped thingies, and also some rubbery gripper things that help somewhat. Running hot water over the lid and/or tapping it with a spoon (for vibrations) helps too.

When all else fails, I have teenagers who delight in opening the jars with no trouble. :clap:

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll try them first before I buy a jar opener. I guess I'm getting weaker in my old age. I used to be able to hit them on the floor and break the vacuum and open them. Not now.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll try them first before I buy a jar opener.

Good idea. You got some good tips. Just a hint, though. That one about having a teenager? That's an expensive option :hysterical:

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. But thanks, anyhow.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea. You got some good tips. Just a hint, though. That one about having a teenager? That's an expensive option :hysterical:

Oh yeah, I'm with you on that! There's no way an occasional jar-opening will pay for their keep!

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jancpa. Interesting. A lot for S&H, though. I know they'll be in the store eventually like the One Touch Can Opener. Ours just bit the dust. It also wouldn't give up the lid it took off without a fight.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern

Your hint worked perfectly. THANKS. Saved me money and countertop clutter.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I am too wimpy now. We have a V shape opener under a counter and it didn't work for me.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think the reason mine works so well is that the long handle gives it enough leverage so that almost no effort is required. I once had the under-counter version and never will again.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops, I meant cabinet not counter.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked. I inherited that (and many other things) from my mom.

Fern

Your hint worked perfectly. THANKS. Saved me money and countertop clutter.