• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Its Flu Shot Time

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please take the Shingles vaccine by itself and don't book anything important for about three days aftewards
There are some expected side effects and I experienced them.
So read up and make your appointment, but not before a trip, wedding, softball tournament, etc.

-

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please take the Shingles vaccine by itself and don't book anything important for about three days aftewards
There are some expected side effects and I experienced them.
So read up and make your appointment, but not before a trip, wedding, softball tournament, etc.

-
The shingles vaccine is a live virus, hence the side effects. I cannot get it due to my kidney transplant.
Would check with doctor before going to a drug store to get it. Live viruses are nothing to play with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The shingles vaccine is a live virus, hence the side effects. I cannot get it due to my kidney transplant.
Would check with doctor before going to a drug store to get it. Live viruses are nothing to play with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Agree.

As an adult nurse practitioner (still maintain NP license), I always recommend taking the shot in a dedicated health care setting; clinic, doctor's office, hospital outpatient setting instead of a drug store or department store clinic whenever possible.

ETA: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/patient-ed/adults/downloads/fs-shingles.pdf

https://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi2.pdf

=

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My bad. I knew, but forgot to mention that the Shingles shot is a live virus. I knew because I couldn't get mine while Jerry was being treated for leukemia.

As for not getting the shot at the drugstore, etc., about the only way you can get a shingles shot is at a drugstore. Doctors around here don't give them because they are so expensive to keep in stock. And none of the doctors around here have the senior flu shot. My doctor specifically told me to go elsewere for it. But I did get the doctor's advice, since he is the one who told me to get the senior version of the shot.

Fern

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my shingles vaccine at the state health department immunization clinic. The have a one-day-a-week clinic for kids, travel immunizations, shingles, flu, pneumonia, etc. price is either covered by insurance, or for low income uninsured people, it's a sliding scale. Or it was (in pre-ACA days) when I got mine. It's worth a call to your health department if you have one handy.

I feel better going there instead of a hallway in the back of the grocery store pharmacy by the produce coolers.

Jim

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
The same day I got the shingles vaccine, I got stung by a bee on the same arm. Both sites got very red and enlarged. I am wondering if the bee sting could interfere with the vaccines effectiveness. Guess that is a question for my MD next time I go.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
My 97 year old mother has never had a flu shot and has never had the flu.

She was born during the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic. Perhaps she has a bullet-proof immune system because of that. That doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
She was born during the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic. Perhaps she has a bullet-proof immune system because of that. That doesn't mean the rest of us do.

She did mention being born in June during the 1918 flu. She had 5 older siblings and nobody in the family had the flu.She eats good food and takes vitamins.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Agree.

As an adult nurse practitioner (still maintain NP license), I always recommend taking the shot in a dedicated health care setting; clinic, doctor's office, hospital outpatient setting instead of a drug store or department store clinic whenever possible.

https://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi2.pdf

=

I so wish I could do this. My doctor's office rarely has the flu vaccine in stock. My prescription coverage only works if I use CVS. So, I'm kind of stuck with using CVS for flu shots. :(

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The grocery store's pharmacy has a small waiting room and injection room next to the pharmacy. And to forestall any other questions, no, the box boy didn't give me the shots. A pharmacist did.

Fern

I got my shingles vaccine at the state health department immunization clinic. The have a one-day-a-week clinic for kids, travel immunizations, shingles, flu, pneumonia, etc. price is either covered by insurance, or for low income uninsured people, it's a sliding scale. Or it was (in pre-ACA days) when I got mine. It's worth a call to your health department if you have one handy.

I feel better going there instead of a hallway in the back of the grocery store pharmacy by the produce coolers.

Jim

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wary of using pharmacies located in department stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. for anything but flu shots.

The reason is that should one have an immediate reaction, be it anaphylaxis or vasovagal, it's best to be in a medical setting with expert medical care from many hands. Privacy issues, too.

I have seen this several times over a long career and was glad that we had a crash cart with intervention by MDs, NPs, RNs and LPNs in our office.

My professional opinion. YMMV.

-

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The grocery store's pharmacy has a small waiting room and injection room next to the pharmacy. And to forestall any other questions, no, the box boy didn't give me the shots. A pharmacist did.

Fern

Much better than my experiences at CVS.

First time I got a shot there the "partition" was a bunch of packages of paper towels piled up to form a wall.

The young lady who gave me the shot (I don't think she was a pharmacist) gave the shot then proceeded to dab at my arm with a tiny bit of cotton. She asked "Do you always bleed so much when you get a shot?" My answer "No". Usually when I've gotten a shot they've slapped on a bandage large enough to stop any bleeding there might be.

After that experience I checked all over to find someplace else I could get the shot. That was when I found out that unless I wanted to pay out of pocket, CVS was it. Last year's experience was better. Still not much privacy, but it was a pharmacist who gave the shot, and I didn't bleed "so much".

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is the shingle shot a one time thing or do you need one every year?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can't say you are wrong. In fact there is no doubt what you say is right. I have, however, gotten all my shots over the last 15 or 20 years at my local Kroger. Two reasons. First, the pharmacist isn't in a hurry and explains the pros, cons and risks with me before administering the shot. Second, at my request they always let me check out the shot before unwrapping it. That assures me I am actually getting the shot I want, particularly the High Dose version of the flu shot.

George

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shingles Vaccine: My post-injection side effects were expected ones, but still not pleasant.

1. Redness, swelling, heat, soreness, itching at the injection site. It is given SC/subcutaneously in the upper arm/triceps region.

2. The headache. I had a "flu like" frontal headache for about 3 days.

3. The "wonkiness" for 2-3 days.

Others may sail through it, but I did not and I usually do fine with immunizations except for TDaP or TD.

Still, I am glad I had it and would do it again. Suffer a little, gain a lot.
Much better to reduce the risk of Shingles, an awful, painful, debilitating condition.

-

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our insurance company has a relationship with Rite-Aid, and the flu shots we get there are free for us. We go to one particular close-by Rite-Aid, and we've had all good experiences. And our children's pediatrician has her office across the street!

Ask your insurance company if they have a similar preferred provider.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be getting our flu shots in the next couple weeks. We get our flu shots at our Doctor's office.

Last year we had the flu and pneumonia shots at our doctor's office and the shingles vaccine at Walgreens. The Walgreens pharmacist came outside to give me my shingles vaccine in my car so I wouldn't have to walk in.

Neither one of us had any effects from the shingles vaccine.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Get the flu shot

The reason to get a flu shot is not so much to protect you, as it is to help prevent flu from spreading and becoming an epidemic. Those who don't get a flu shot are being sell-centered.

geekette

Reaction score
I so wish I could do this. My doctor's office rarely has the flu vaccine in stock. My prescription coverage only works if I use CVS. So, I'm kind of stuck with using CVS for flu shots. :(

You aren't stuck. The shot costs, what, $20? For that, go where you like, don't let insurance make your decisions for you.

geekette

Reaction score
The age for shingles vaccine has dropped to 50. The shingles vaccine was approved for those 50 and over in March of 2011. I was told this last time I was at my MD's and got the vaccine.

Good, they needed to do that. My first case of shingles was at age 18 and that one scarred me. I have had it several times since then and still far from age 60.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You aren't stuck. The shot costs, what, $20? For that, go where you like, don't let insurance make your decisions for you.

My husband paid $54 for his flu shot. When I checked around last year I was quoted around that price to get one. So in my area, no it's not $20.

And really it's not that bad to get the shot at CVS. I was just whining.

My first choice is always the doctor's office. But they often don't have the serum available.

geekette

Reaction score
My husband paid $54 for his flu shot. When I checked around last year I was quoted around that price to get one. So in my area, no it's not $20.

And really it's not that bad to get the shot at CVS. I was just whining.

My first choice is always the doctor's office. But they often don't have the serum available.

This is the annoying part - why don't doctor's offices have it?? Do they not order enough or not even in line for it? Each year, we hear the same thing: my doctor didn't have it. Anyone with insight??

Whining is fine :) I don't think I'd want to get shot beside wall of paper towels by someone that doesn't administer shots for a living. Bad enough to get the new phlebotomist when donating blood (good thing bloodmobile chairs are made for passing out in).

aye, area differences, I see signs around here for $10-20. I would pay $54 and a lot more to not get the flu.

Still, my point was more in that people have choices beyond what their insurance covers. Every time I hear someone say "they can't have" something because insurance won't cover it, I like to remind that insurance is not final say over one's life choices. I have rarely had chiropractic coverage, for example, but I go see a chiropractor anyway because it makes me feel better and the $ is worth it to me. Not worth suffering just because insurance won't cover it.

I won't change doctors, either, when insurance changes. It's worth it to me to stick with someone I know and trust (so far 25 years with this guy). To me it's worth it, maybe not to others. I can afford to absorb a premium in order to get the care I want from my chosen providers. Even when I couldn't afford it, I didn't want to start all over just because new insurer has a different list. So many jobs and insurance plans ... one primary care doctor. I choose continuity of care over economy.

One can have any treatment they want, it's simply a matter of who pays for it. Curious as to what flu shot costs in dr office? Also copay to be paid? never had one there. For many many years now, a visiting nurse service administers at my employer site and these days I head over to employee care center for vax and medcheck type stuff, free. Yes, I am luckier than many, and grateful for it.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to find out that I can't get it from my doctor. The medical group holds Flu shot clinics and my office only does appointments on Saturdays. Since I'm busy the next few Saturdays, I walked into Walgreens and asked if they could do a walk in shot. They did and they said I didn't have a co-pay. I guess vaccines are part of my coverage. Even if they weren't, I think the cost was around $30.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just got back from getting my flu shot.....at CVS, with no copay. This year no row of paper towels, no privacy at all. Guess it's a good thing I could push my sleeve up and not have to take my shirt half way off as I've had to do at times in the past. :ignore:

One reason I was not willing to go elsewhere, and pay, is because I already pay for my medical, and prescription drug, coverage. I'm not going to pay more out of pocket when I can get the shot "free". If the shot wasn't covered at all, yes I would pay for it.