• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love trading into Europe! It makes traveling there far cheaper. You definitely have to plan ahead for peak season. I would do an ongoing search. I have high trading power and am in both the points and weeks systems with RCI, so it gives me a lot of options. I can get a week for less than $500 depending on the season.

I got a 2-bedroom unit in Bavaria (Schliersee), Germany, the first week of October last year. It was a fabulous location to explore Ludwig's castles and enjoy the fall foliage, which was utterly spectacular. It's an hour south of Munich, an easy drive or train ride. Loved the property and the staff, who booked a doc appt with an English-speaking doc for me when I got sick. It was so cheap for the week that my friend and I didn't bat an eye at spending $100 for a cute hotel in Oberammergau for one night so we could explore the castles out there without driving back until the next day.

We've also had a 1-bedroom in Deidesheim, a cute wine village 45 minutes west of our favorite German city, Heidelberg. It was a little spartan but we were there in winter and mainly used it as home base to tour all over. The furniture was comfortable, we had a mini kitchen, and we had laundry facilities.

I'd go back to both properties, even though they weren't Marriott caliber. If you're not used to traveling in Europe, I can tell you that a lot of hotels are older, smaller and just don't have the amenities U.S. properties do. We've done Airbnb in Austria and Germany, and only one of those three properties was really high-end. One was unbearably hot and we switched to a Marriott hotel with AC.

Next May, we're spending two weeks in France, with the first week in Vincennes, at a timeshare just to the east of Paris. I booked it LAST May, two years out. I was stunned to get a week anywhere near Paris during the first week of the French Open and grabbed it. For our second week, we'll be doing Airbnb or inns in Normandy and the Loire Valley.

There are a few timeshare properties in major cities, even Vienna and Buda Pest, but you have to plan ahead. If you stay in Marriotts, you will be quite comfortable, but if you stay in a well-rated timeshare resort, you will get more of a feel for regular life in Europe. It's more authentic, and the beds can be just as comfy.

There's also a spectacular resort in Tuscany (il Poggio); we had to cancel on them but plan to go before too long. You can do extra vacations and get into a well-located London property cheaper than a regular hotel. Do your research on where you want to go (aside from Paris, obviously). Sometimes the availability of a timeshare in a certain location opens up new travel possibilities we hadn't thought of, and other times we book other options if we really want or need to be in a specific place. The Vincennes property very randomly shows up with availability (it's a Diamond resort), but worth doing an ongoing search for if you want to be a lot closer to Paris. A friend of mine got into it (he is a Diamond owner) for a 2-bedroom and loved it.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the poster who said RCI canceled two European bookings on them. I've never had that happen, either with my TSes or with my brother-in-law's, whose TS we used before getting our own. Why were they canceled?

bauerej

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Timeshares in Greece

We spent two weeks on Greek islands last fall in RCI timeshares (one on Santorini and one in Rhodes). We did not trade, but just rented "extra vacation" weeks. The cost for each was under $600 for 2BR units. We were very pleased and thought we got a good deal and great locations.

Since Greece is in the EU, technically that is appropriate information for this thread.

pjbrunner

Reaction score
Try a narrowboat

Several years ago we traded for a week on a narrowboat in England out of a marina at Market Harborough. Narrowboats are seven feet wide so they can enter the locks of the eighteenth century canals in England on which they operate. There are a number of narrowboat bases throughout England and even some in Scotland and Ireland.

The boats are nicely appointed but they are not luxurious. Our boat was 70 feet long. It had two bedrooms (tiny),1 1/2 baths, a full kitchen with dining and living area. The dining room table could convert to another double bed so the boat would sleep six.

They take an hour to teach you to operate the boat. You have to learn how to operate canal locks, transit tunnels and even open some bridges. The boat travels at four miles per hour to limit wake. At night you tie up on the bank of the canal. We had to re-water once during the week.

This was a really fun and unique experience. But you would have to decide whether it is worth the value of your exchange.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen those exchanges for the narrow boats! I want to do that too, although they're most easily found when it's too chilly for that. One of these days, I'll plan ahead for one. Seems like such a cool thing to do.

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was happy with the trade to the Marriot Paris -fantastic - close to subway - we rented a car and drove to Versaille etc. -it was great. I have also traded into Broome Park - Canterbury - also fantastic - close to bus - day trips to London - Canterbury -

Traded into several Spain and Portugal timeshares - fantastic - rented a car.

We also traded into Scotland last year - It was in a remote area - hard to drive in Scotland - I was not thrilled with the timeshare location - the Lochs.

I would just make sure that the timeshare is close to transportation -
In Budapest RCI put us in a modest timeshare - certainly not a Marriot

BettyBoop52

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible, but difficult to find a central timeshare in Europe. As DeniseM points out, most timeshares in Europe are located quite a distance from cities and it is very difficult to find a timeshare in the main European cities that most North Americans want to visit. My husband & I spent 5 weeks in Europe in 2012 and managed 3 exchanges - one of which was actually a cruise. We got extremely lucky in England's Lake District because the TS resort was on the outskirts of the village of Windermere & we could just walk into the town. But this was a town and not a main city like London. If you don't mind driving, it is possible to find timeshares in Europe, but just be aware of that fact. Good luck! :eek:)

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the poster who said RCI canceled two European bookings on them. I've never had that happen, either with my TSes or with my brother-in-law's, whose TS we used before getting our own. Why were they canceled?

I am not the poster mentioned, but I have had RCI cancel a UK booking on me, so thought I would respond. It was many years ago, and I had booked the property long in advance, it was in Brighton, I believe. The property "discontinued their relationship with RCI". We had already booked airfare for 4, so I was quite panicky. RCI was excellent in helping us make alternate arrangements - to a far superior choice.
On the same trip we booked a Getaway to Walton Hall, another RCI property at the time, on the outskirts of Stratford. Really enjoyed our time there and in retrospect , it was a great bargain. Excellent for exploring the Cotswolds and getting a taste of rural life.

randyz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The DRI resort in Vincennes is in a fabulous location. Short walk to the metro and in 20 minutes you are in the heart of Paris. And Vincennes itself is a wonderful town to explore. We've been there 4 or 5 times. And the DRI resort in Mougins near Cannes is a short bus ride to the train that will take you to all the little Riviera towns, as well as to Monaco and over the border to Ventimiglia, Italy.

We can vouch for the DRI resort in Mougins. We rented a car and did at least 5 different day trips over the week. Monaco, Nice, Avignon, etc.. Spacious 2 Bdr unit, clean, but definitely not like our typical Wyndham units.

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are lots of great options in Europe but you have to work the exchange systems. I have no experience with RCI and no current affiliation with a major timeshare franchise (eg Marriot, Hilton, etc) we have exchanged our Vermont timeshare successfully with Interval International and DAElive (an excellent and up and coming exchange system with good availability if you want to go further afield than Europe (eg to South Africa, New Zealand, Australia). Working with these two systems (and in a previous 'life' with Diamond Resorts when we owned one of their timeshares) we have had success in Europe in Crete, Portugal (Algarve), Spain (Malaga), Scotland (Kenmore Club), and Sardinia. As Laurie indicated we want interesting locations where we can see the country - not particularly interested in big cities. We're very comfortable with exchanging for something that may be a bit smaller or less sophisticated than our Vermont unit in Stowe. Hoping for Switzerland soon (kitchen facilities here would be excellent to parse the cost of meals ).

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a wealth of information which is why I LOVE TUG!

It sounds like RCI is the exchange company that trades best into Europe (unfortunately, I am only actively trading in II). But that just means that timeshares are available so I should check out he timeshare rental market. :)

Really like the idea of the Tuscany timeshare. I definitely will check that out as I LOVE Tuscany.

As for this trip, we are starting off in Barcelona. Then off to where ever we want to go. Might head to Oslo to visit friends. The challenging thing this trip is our twins will be 1.5 years old. Thinking the Marriott Paris (Disneyland) is definitely in our future in about 5 years.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
SFX and Royal Holiday options

I have traded twice with SFX for Sloan Gardens in London - it was lovely.

I have a lot of points with Royal Holiday because they include so many cities. Mostly the cities do not have any sort of luxury places but off season they are easy to book. I don't suggest anyone get started with Royal Holiday but perhaps you could find exchanges with someone who has extra Royal Holiday points - or rent through Redweek or other vacation rental companies that pop up on the first few pages of google. I've been to Paris, Madrid, Rome, and Florence through RHC and am planning a week in Brussels and a couple of weeks in Berlin. They often us Citadines Apart'hotels which at certain times of year can be even cheaper than RHC or other venues, such as VRBO or Airbnb. I have friends who usually use VRBO for Paris trips.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we still own alot of timeshare, our strategy has moved away from that into building hotel reward points instead. Hotel reward points give you alot more flexibility. Our 2 upcoming big trips, one to New York (Broadway district) using Marriott travel package to get both first class air tickets and the newest Marriott hotel (and best reviews for all hotels in that area) to where we want to go to - less than a minute walk to the theatre etc. Marriott NY (Pulse) is too far from where we want to be. Second is to a cruise to Europe, we extend that with 3 nights at Westin in Florence and 5 nights in Rome with Marriott, with first class tickets back to the US. The flights and hotel stays feel like they are "free", although we all know they are not. :)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have HIVC points and used them in 2015 to stay in Rome, Italy. We flew to Dublin from USA and then to Rome, then back to Dublin to stay at our timeshare in Ireland. We find combining our points with travel to timeshares very convenient. This year, we used points to stay in Seattle on our way to and from Hawaii. This made flights non stop and shorter than flights with stops along the way. Planning to do this again this year when we go on a cruise. We are not going back to Europe until 2019. Going to travel to places we have not been to yet.
Texas, Grand Cayman and a few new timeshares that we own. Love to travel,and TUG has helped us with advice and getting the best deals on timeshare vacations!
Silentg

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Europe about 20 times over our travel years and have been quite pleased with timeshare stays . We have stayed in England,Ireland, Scotland,France, Germany,Austria,Spain,Italy,Greece,Portugal and Hungary. We have never stayed in any large city or the outskirts in a timeshare. We find little availability and usually stay a maximum, of four or five days in large cities. We did once rent a Paris apartment in the city center for a week and exchanged homes in the London suburbs for a couple weeks and enjoyed the stays.We prefer staying in smaller towns now that we have seen the major city sights we want to see and enjoy driving on local trips.To become a visitor versus being a traveling touric=st is preferable.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
sorry-overlooked this post. My 2 (and only) confirms to Europe via RCI were to:
a Mondi Club in Germany--I was just told "week not available" in May for July travel. RCI offered a resort 2 hrs away, which we declined. RCI did extend my points and membership for free as a gesture of goodwill.
2nd trip was for July travel to Austria to stay in a castle. RCI said the castle was no longer affiliated with RCI. That call was 11 mths out and we just made other plans.
Maybe we had bad luck. If I had 2 or even 4 persons, and could take a 1BR, I think that might be different. But, with 5-6 persons and needing a 2 BR, it's risky in high season, IMHO.

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pmuppet, we rented a car from SIXT at the Magic Circus hotel (take the free #54? bus from the train station). There is a small, but fully stocked grocier at Bailey Romainvillers, a very small town near the M (10 minute, very nice walk) and also a fruit stand, a butcher, and lovely patisserie. We walked or took the car several times to the above. M also has a small store onsite, with basic necessities. M rents bikes, which I didn't get a chance to do. It's a really great place, and the space is HUGE. We ask for a unit at the front backing to the Giverny gardens. The local bus picks up right at the M for DLP or Val d'Europe (upscale shopping mall), so you might not need a car for the entire week. M also has a shuttle, 4 eruos RT to DLP train station. If you book the day they come out, you can get direct TGV tickets from DLP to Strasbourg for a low price, an excellent day trip via train, as well.
You might want to make a cash reservation now that you can canx later, in case a trade via II doesn't come thru.
Another option via RCI is Regency. We actually (amazingly) got a 2BR trade for July, but, with no AC, decided to stick with the M (where we had been before and really liked). R might be a good option, if you want to go into Paris more than 2X during the week.

Hi can you elaborate on regency? Is it just called regency Paris?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Diamond resort Royal Regency (RCI #3068) Vincennes, France. You can also book via Diamond Resorts for a cash stay. I have not stayed there, but others on TUG have. You still have to take the train to get into Paris proper.