• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is This A Wake-Up Call To Reduce Meat In Our Diet

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
A CNBC market pundit over the past few days has been discussing Beyond Beef, a beef substitute made from plant material.

One of the trends he believes this pandemic is accelerating is the adoption of products like Beyond Beef into millennial diets. He believes that Beyond Beef is now shifting from a novelty to mainstream adoption. Much of this fueled by millennials who want more sustainable, healthier products. I've seen this transition firsthand with my own millennial relatives.

This got me thinking:

1) Covid-19, SARS etc. would never have happened if there was less demand for meat and meat markets were minimized. How often have we heard about pandemics being caused by plant to human transmission? I can't think of any.

2) The mess in the USA meat plants: Rampant Covid transmissions and inhumane conditions for workers which mirror that of The Jungle published a century ago.

3) Overcrowded conditions on stock farms and the emissions to CO2 from cattle.

4) Over-consumption of red meat causes a myriad of health issues including heart disease.

Perhaps this is a wake-up call that the high volume methods in which meat is produced and sold is not sustainable to the planet and ultimately to human life via pandemics and heart disease.

Although I don't think my family would completely give up meat, this is giving me pause. I am going to start testing Beyond Beef and other plant based products to substitute and see if we can augment with plant based products and reduce our meat consumption.

Has anyone tried Beyond Beef or have recommendations on similar products?

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love meat but for all the reasons you have detailed we try to go meatless 1 or 2 nights a week. It was actually much easier than I thought.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@bluehende Glad this has been easier than thought. Do you have suggestions for protein substitutes?

I enjoy a steak on the BBQ but will now reserve it for special occasions.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bluehende Glad this has been easier than thought. Do you have suggestions for protein substitutes?

I enjoy a steak on the BBQ but will now reserve it for special occasions.
The easy one is pasta. Add vegetables and use pesto or alfredo sauces and you do not miss meat.

I use cashews instead of chicken occasionally in a stir fry

Mac and cheese. Dairy does not help all of the reasons to not eat meat but is easy substitute.

Our big one is beans. I really like beans and rice. My beans are canned kidney, simmered with salsa and herbs. Put this over rice with or without cheese.

rarely but sometimes tofu instead of chicken in a dish. DW is not fond of tofu

we have done the new meatless burgers but enjoy those above more.

We enjoy steak too and do not worry about it. For health reasons we go beef once a week.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
A CNBC market pundit over the past few days has been discussing Beyond Beef, a beef substitute made from plant material.

One of the trends he believes this pandemic is accelerating is the adoption of products like Beyond Beef into millennial diets. He believes that Beyond Beef is now shifting from a novelty to mainstream adoption. Much of this fueled by millennials who want more sustainable, healthier products. I've seen this transition firsthand with my own millennial relatives.

This got me thinking:

1) Covid-19, SARS etc. would never have happened if there was less demand for meat and meat markets were minimized. How often have we heard about pandemics being caused by plant to human transmission? I can't think of any.

2) The mess in the USA meat plants: Rampant Covid transmissions and inhumane conditions for workers which mirror that of The Jungle published a century ago.

3) Overcrowded conditions on stock farms and the emissions to CO2 from cattle.

4) Over-consumption of red meat causes a myriad of health issues including heart disease.

Perhaps this is a wake-up call that the high volume methods in which meat is produced and sold is not sustainable to the planet and ultimately to human life via pandemics and heart disease.

Although I don't think my family would completely give up meat, this is giving me pause. I am going to start testing Beyond Beef and other plant based products to substitute and see if we can augment with plant based products and reduce our meat consumption.

Has anyone tried Beyond Beef or have recommendations on similar products?
I use Beyond Beef and like it. Another tugger I know tried it and disliked it. My other half who is a big meat eater love Beyond Beef burgers and the meatballs or lasagna I use it for. He still likes his meats but surprisingly asks for the beyond beef burgers.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband won’t eat red meat or pork. Chicken and fish salads and pasta is basically our diet.