• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is max occupancy enfoced?

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an RCI exchange for a 1 BR unit that according to RCI sleeps 2/3

It has a king bed plus a sleeper sofa.

We would be staying with two adults and two small children below 10 years, so space should not be a problem at all. If nothing else works we would be bringing an airbed.

Has anyone experience in what could happen when we try to check into the (2/3) unit with 4 persons?

Or should we just check in 3 of us and tell noone that we are actually four?

Thanks!

miamidan

Reaction score
i would call the resort and simply say you are thinking of exchanging in but, are a family of four and noticed that the unit has a max of three and if they enforce it. It could be firecode issues where they are required to limit the occupancy or it could be that the unit is simply small and they think the quality of the vacation would be bad if there were four people. In any case I would hate for a family to show up and not be allowed to check in or be evicted for having too many.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
With younguns I would think it is doable. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience:ignore: . Just be discreet. The key is not to disturb neighbors and I doubt an extra child would!

"It's easier to seek forgiveness than beg permission"

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to call the resort - their true maximum occupancy may not be the same as what RCI lists, or they may have discretion to allow an extra person. But whatever the resort tells you, I would follow.

Occupancy is often determined by fire code, and if the resort is full, could lead to legal problems for the resort. This is not an issue of bending the rules but breaking them - consider the lesson you would be teaching your children. If the resort doesn't have any larger units, it could also be an issue of building codes, as strange as that sounds - which could lead to other legal issues for the resort.

As for what could happen, you could be evicted - and possibly be fined. That you wouldn't know until you got to the resort and see the paperwork you sign when you check in. We all place security deposits when we exchange, and you could lose that.

Don't rely on the ability to "hide" an extra person - housekeeping or "nosy" neighbors could report you, and send you on your way. If the occupancy is set for the convenience of the owners, who don't want 4 people in the units, or if it is a sore issue with a neighbor who didn't bring a 4th person because of the policy, they are sure to report you. Can you imagine what you will say to the kids if you are kicked out after 2 nights? Can you imagine what you will do then, and how much it will cost? I'm assuming you found this unit online, because I doubt it would have matched an appropriate ongoing search. Call the resort, and see what they say, before you are stuck with a cancellation fee if they can't accomodate you.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are facing the same issue for a Thanksgiving exchange. We will have eight consisting of five adults and three children ages 9, 3 and 2. We were originally looking for a two-bedroom at a resort with units that officially sleep six. I called the resort and discussed it with someone who said maybe they would allow seven if the seventh were very young, but they would definitely not allow eight. We finally secured a two-bedroom that sleeps six at a different resort. We were thinking that no one would notice that we have more than six in the unit. But I have been worrying about what we would do if we worse came to worst. Then I looked at the resort website and saw the statement "six person limit strictly enforced". So I started thinking about options. Yesterday I came across a low-priced getaway for a one-bedroom at a resort less than a mile away. So we secured it and now feel much more at ease - for a cost of $300. I imagine all of us will hang out during the day at the exchange resort and some of us will sleep each night at the getaway resort. This will also improve the sleeping situation, especially for the little ones, but probably for all of us.

Your case seems much simpler and I would hope the resort would not have a problem. Aren't sleeper sofas usually counted as sleeping two adults? My advice would be to check with the resort anonymously. If they say no dice then it is your call as to what to do. But I agree with the previous post that you should eliminate the possibility of the worst case outcome.

Last edited: