• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is accumulating timeshares really worth it?

MustangMGMT

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I have really enjoyed the timeshares we own, so as we move closer to retirement, we're weighing the costs/benefits of purchasing more off the resale market. I know some are almost giveaways, but there's always the MF and taxes that continue on year-after-year and then there's the issue of what happens to them when we pass (if kids aren't willing to pay annual MFs on them). Some MFs are quite costly. Will someone explain their rationale behind accumulating multiple timeshares at different locations and paying the associated annual fees rather than booking hotels and airbnbs for their travel which gives a lot more flexibility without commitment. Your insights are appreciated. Thanks.
I am always amazed that people overlook the obvious benefits of multiple timeshares purchased for personal use and renting out. Done properly you can buy multiple, more than you need, and rent some out to cover all the maintenance fees including your personal use. I even know plenty of people who rent out for profit. Although the current time is more difficult for renting out, the prices are lower. Get more if you can.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I am always amazed that people overlook the obvious benefits of multiple timeshares purchased for personal use and renting out. Done properly you can buy multiple, more than you need, and rent some out to cover all the maintenance fees including your personal use. I even know plenty of people who rent out for profit. Although the current time is more difficult for renting out, the prices are lower. Get more if you can.
Agreed, I try to rent out to cover all MF then travel for “free” with the remaining. Or just travel and pay the MF for personal use. Either way the collective MF’s are low enough that it is comparable to what some spend for one trip, Yet I get 4-5 weeks with the cost.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
That's a really good variety of comments/posts as to why accumulating timeshares is worth it :thumbup:.

I would even analogize it to playing a timeshare version of the game of "Monopoly"- where one starts with preferably discretionary money & learns different ways,
(buy from Developer, buy resale, buy points, weeks, RTU, avoiding misleading high pressure sales tactics, etc.), as one goes around the "timeshare board".
While $$ is important :ponder: in purchasing a timeshare, perhaps it is NOT the primary reason in ALL cases that make accumulating timeshares worth it ;) .

Trying to deal with &/or avoid special assessments, excessive m/f's, unforeseen pandemics, learning different systems, brands & strategies, are all part of the timeshare adventure that we all experience on our overall travel journeys.

For example, getting that great oceanfront unit, that high quality brand 2BR/2BA unit during a high demand week, that fits one's travel desires, or even, unloading a fifteen year owned unit that no longer fits one's travel lifestyle, is all part of accumulating timeshares that is worth it :cool: .
@jbiza great comments thanks! I'm new to TS as an owner just a couple of years and now been TUGitized ha with how to expand TS knowledge into a fun worldwide travel game that we never could have participated in without the resale low cost of entry.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I am a TUG member and saw here that Diamond had started a deedback program. It was early days for that program, so even though my unit was a resale, they accepted it back after I paid them $250 for the privilege.

One of the secrets when owning TimeShares is being alert and opportunistic. Too many let things ride rather than act to their detriment...

George

ATL Chick

Reaction score
My husband and I have really enjoyed the timeshares we own, so as we move closer to retirement, we're weighing the costs/benefits of purchasing more off the resale market. I know some are almost giveaways, but there's always the MF and taxes that continue on year-after-year and then there's the issue of what happens to them when we pass (if kids aren't willing to pay annual MFs on them). Some MFs are quite costly. Will someone explain their rationale behind accumulating multiple timeshares at different locations and paying the associated annual fees rather than booking hotels and airbnbs for their travel which gives a lot more flexibility without commitment. Your insights are appreciated. Thanks.
I am getting rid of my Marriott deeded Legacy Week but keeping my Wyndham points system because I can vacation in multiple places around the world without owning at one particular resort. In addition, I book during cheaper times of the year when I can and Sundays-Thursdays which require fewer points. I use hotel discounts or Airbnbs in the same areas to stretch my vacations. It has worked so far for me.

Hopes this helps!

ATL Chick

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I am getting rid of my Marriott deeded Legacy Week but keeping my Wyndham points system because I can vacation in multiple places around the world without owning at one particular resort. In addition, I book during cheaper times of the year when I can and Sundays-Thursdays which require fewer points. I use hotel discounts or Airbnbs in the same areas to stretch my vacations. It has worked so far for me.

Hopes this helps!

ATL Chick
We use the Sun-Thurs strategy also...really stretches our points!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We bought our first timeshare in 1981, used that for a long time. Then after joining tug we bought A week at Dichololo in South Africa. After being on Tug I starting buying cheap weeks at various resorts, usually after I stayed somewhere. Over the years we have owned 10 weeks of timeshare. Last year I started to trim our ownerships. We have 3 timeshares now and probably won’t buy anymore. One is a RTU, one is Holiday Inn at Orange Lake. Third one is the Pines in Baysie VA. We are going there to see it this week.
I had a lot of fun with the weeks, we went to many trades and I did exchanges with TUG members. Still have one coming up next April to Sedona. Most of my timeshares I gave away on TUG or gave back to the resorts.
Bought one from Sumday Vacations. And almost all were handled by LT Transfers.
Good luck with your purchases and travel, keep us informed of your timeshare adventures!