• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is a point a point?

redcanvas2000

Reaction score
I'm new. I keep reading that it's better to buy platinum for it's resale value and the MF ratio. My question (right now..I will have a ton more later) is does it really matter what season of points you buy. If you buy say, a couple smaller gold packages, could you add the points together to rent during platinum season. Is it just a matter of the number of points you have or does it actually matter whether you own platinum or gold etc.?

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
With Hilton, points are points. It doesn't matter where you bought or what season, as long as you have enough points for what you want. (And you may borrow from next year if you need to.) The only exception is if you want to book exactly what you own between 12 and 9 months out. At 9 months, that advantage disappears. On paper, I own a two-bedroom, two-bath unit for one week, which I've never booked. I prefer a smaller unit for more nights, and I've always been able to get what I want at 9 months or closer.

Platinum does have a better MF ratio to points since the MF is based on the size of the unit. But the buy-in price is higher. I don't regret buying gold instead of platinum for that reason, although there are owners here who say never buy less than platinum.

Last edited:

redcanvas2000

Reaction score
buy gold, stay in platinum?

Okay. So, just to be clear...Let's say I bought two gold packages for 3500 pts each. Doesn't matter what resort right? At nine months out, I could book a platinum room that was under 7000 points as long as the room was available at the resort I wanted?

I'm mainly interested in buying in for personal use of points...not resale/rental. Just beginning to do research.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Okay. So, just to be clear...Let's say I bought two gold packages for 3500 pts each. Doesn't matter what resort right? At nine months out, I could book a platinum room that was under 7000 points as long as the room was available at the resort I wanted?

I'm mainly interested in buying in for personal use of points...not resale/rental. Just beginning to do research.

You are correct. However, be aware that you will have TWO maintenance fees with two separate 3500 points. You will need to analyze the buy in costs for single higher point purchase and associated MF with the buy in costs for TWO lesser packages and their associated MFs. There is a break even there somewhere depending on how long you amortize the purchase.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay. So, just to be clear...Let's say I bought two gold packages for 3500 pts each. Doesn't matter what resort right? At nine months out, I could book a platinum room that was under 7000 points as long was available at the resort I wanted?
as the room

Keep in mind that there are a couple difficult to get into places. HHV Lagoon tower is one I can think of. Some consideration should be given if you have to go somewhere at a specific time.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
How long do you amortize the purchase?

How long will you own the TS? My idea to compare packages:

Take the cost to buy, add 10-15-20 years of MF's (however long you want)... for a two-TS plan, do this for each... divide the total amount by the # of points you'd get and you'll have the true $$/point.

I expect you'll find that paying 2 MF's over any significant length of time is more expensive than paying more up-front for a single, platinum unit.

redcanvas2000

Reaction score
How long will you own the TS? My idea to compare packages:

Take the cost to buy, add 10-15-20 years of MF's (however long you want)... for a two-TS plan, do this for each... divide the total amount by the # of points you'd get and you'll have the true $$/point.

I expect you'll find that paying 2 MF's over any significant length of time is more expensive than paying more up-front for a single, platinum unit.

OK. There is no set end of contract date with HGVC? You just keep it until you want to sell it? For this reason, I can see why people would prefer to buy platinum.

What happens in the event of an owner's death? Can the contract be transferred to a beneficiary?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
OK. There is no set end of contract date with HGVC? You just keep it until you want to sell it? For this reason, I can see why people would prefer to buy platinum.

What happens in the event of an owner's death? Can the contract be transferred to a beneficiary?
It is deeded property, so yes, it can be transferred.

And BTW, a 3500 point "package" as you call it may actually be a 2BR week in Silver season. Since maintenance fees are based on unit size and location, you would pay the same MF on a 3500 point 2BR Silver week as a person who owned a 7000 point 2BR Platinum week!

For example, if the MF for a 2BR was $1000, then you would be paying $2000/yr. for 7000 points if you had two Silver weeks. If you bought a Platinum week, you would only be paying $1000/yr. for the same number of points. It wouldn't take long to make up the difference of the purchase price in that case.

Kurt

michaelvmata

Reaction score
...The only exception is if you want to book exactly what you own between 12 and 9 months out. At 9 months, that advantage disappears....

What advantage do you have between 12 and 9 months out?

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
What advantage do you have between 12 and 9 months out?

between 12 and 9 months, you can book your assigned unit size in your season, no one else can. So if you really want to go to say HHV in July, you would buy at HHV and in June book your stay for next year. In September every other club member can use their points to try get that same June reservation.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Others may be different in this regard, but I have yet to book my location, unit size, and full week (Saturday to Saturday in my case) during the 12 month window in the history of my ownership. Nine months out can work perfectly well if you get a feel for when availability happens at resorts. At HHV, you want to book exactly 9 months out, at Valdoro, November is when weeks start coming open for ski season, just 1 to 4 months out.