• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is a Cow a 'Who' or a 'Which?' Our Standards Editor Weighs In

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Is a Cow a 'Who' or a 'Which?' Our Standards Editor Weighs In - by Philip B. Corbett/ Times Insider/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"Philip B. Corbett is the associate masthead editor for standards and oversees The Times’s style manual.

Most queries I receive as overseer of The Times’s style guidelines involve the mechanics of language. Do you capitalize the word after a colon? Should the verb in this clause be subjunctive?

Occasionally, the issues have social or political resonance — courtesy titles for transgender people, or English renderings of foreign place names.

One question last week, though, raised a philosophical issue. Is a cow a “who” or a “which”?

My answer (as a stylebook editor, not a philosopher): It depends..."

runaway-cow-master675.jpg

A cow escaped from a slaughterhouse and took a stroll through Queens before being captured by police officers last month. Credit by Associated Press

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe the cow is a 'what'.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Cows are "who's"- sentient beings with souls and personalities. and feelings.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't know whether they are sentient, or for that matter, whether souls are something real. Anyway, I wouldn't refer to a ribeye steak as "who"? :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Farmers usually name their cows, so they are a who. Anything with a familiar name is a who.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago, when dairy farms were small, farmers did usually name their cows. Now their "names" are their genetic history and/or farm business name. The majority of cows now have tags and are identified in records as such. In all my years of being around dairy farms, I have NEVER heard a cow being called anything other than "she".

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago, when dairy farms were small, farmers did usually name their cows. Now their "names" are their genetic history and/or farm business name. The majority of cows now have tags and are identified in records as such. In all my years of being around dairy farms, I have NEVER heard a cow being called anything other than "she".

Agreed.... I drank raw milk from my grandfather's small herd of cows until around age 11. Cows were 'she' or go get 'her'.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I grew up on a farm, mixed farming including steers raised for beef. We only named one - the one that would end up in our freezer - and every year it was T-Bone.

And I read the article - found it mildly amusing that there seemed to be confusion about whether all cattle should be called cows. To me, cattle fall into three types, cows, bulls and steers. Was surprised that the word steers was not put forward as an option for "fixed" specimens.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really 4 types: Heifers, cows, bulls and steers. I grew up raising cattle. Named a lot of them, but not all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: